PDA

View Full Version : a regatta

DFGray
07-16-2001, 05:16 PM
went to the shore to paint the weather, I arrived as the Vanisle 360 arrived at French Creek marina ( a sailboat race around Vancouver Island) so painted the sailboats coming up the gulf of Georgia, while working another artist showed up waiting with camera to get a photo of one particular ship, I got this pastel and his ship never came in! 20x24" pastel on board,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2001/vanisle.jpg

regards
Dan

sandge
07-16-2001, 06:37 PM
This is wonderful. I can almost feel the wind pushing those clouds along.

I do enjoy seeing your work here. Your picture surface is always full of such lively marks. They are almost abstract sometimes.

I would be interested to hear how you work. Do you do a lot of drawing first or block in the colours? What kind of board is it you're working on? Does it have much of a tooth? Thanks. S

DFGray
07-16-2001, 07:44 PM
hi Sandra,
I usually work the same way, I look for the composition first, block in larger areas light to darks then draw last, this piece is on a mat board, with a coating of Golden Ground for pastels tinted with acrylic, the composition is the hardest part and I try to feel the composition first without putting any pastel on, it warms my arm up and forces me to find a interesting flow to the pastel,
regards
Dan

sandge
07-16-2001, 08:00 PM
Thanks! That's really interesting. :D

I have not heard of Golden Ground for pastels. I wonder if it is like the Art Spectrum primer that you can paint on different surfaces.

Do you have a website?

DFGray
07-16-2001, 10:07 PM
hi
no website yet lazy I guess
the golden acrylic ground for pastels is a Grumbacher product, I am not familiar with the Art Spectrum products. I remember seeing your piece in Pastel Artist Inter, I liked the clouds in particular, kudos.
regards
Dan

Roan
07-17-2001, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by sandrafletcher
Thanks! That's really interesting. :D

I have not heard of Golden Ground for pastels. I wonder if it is like the Art Spectrum primer that you can paint on different surfaces.

Sandra,

Yah, it works the same way. IMHO the AS stuff is superior to the Golden. I've used both. The Golden, however, does come in an "untinted" form -- it looks like jellied sand and you add whatever acrylic color you want. I've not seen Art Spectrum sold that way.

Of course my opinion is rather useless 'cause I made a mess regardless of which one I used :)

sandge
07-17-2001, 07:32 AM
Thanks, Dan.

Roan, I'm not sure if the Art Spectrum comes in a clear form but there is a white which you can add colour to. Mind you I like to cover the whole surface so as long as I start on a dark shade the colour doesn't really matter too much. Have you tried thinning the art spectrum with water a little bit - that might make it easier to apply. Or not. :D

Roan
07-17-2001, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by sandrafletcher
Thanks, Dan.

Roan, I'm not sure if the Art Spectrum comes in a clear form but there is a white which you can add colour to. Mind you I like to cover the whole surface so as long as I start on a dark shade the colour doesn't really matter too much.

Nod, white is what I have. I like to cover the whole surface as well but prefer a medium to dark support color. The white takes an awful lot of acrylic to get it dark enough and I don't want to buy individual jars.

Have you tried thinning the art spectrum with water a little bit - that might make it easier to apply. Or not. :D

Yah, and I still make a mess :) It just doesn't look or feel right to me. I like the uniformity of a store bought surface.

DFGray
07-17-2001, 04:00 PM
I use a lot of Canson and was treated really well on a visit to the factory years ago, ended up carrying 60 pounds of Mi Tientes through europe, told hotel clerks suitcase was full of gold!, but I use this combo now for larger pieces, I coat the back of a acid free ? mat board with gesso then coat the front with the tinted acrylic ground I use a large (8") brush and stoke the mixture in randomly... the uneven brush stokes on the underpainting seem to give the pastels an added punch ( humble opinion). I'll have to look for the art spectrum product and try it.
regards
Dan

sandge
07-17-2001, 04:10 PM
I have tried to get an even coat with my primer up 'til now - I will try going for uneven and see what happens.

I still keep coming back to good ol' Canson, though. (60 pounds of Canson is as good as gold I think, isn't it?)

I am interested in priming boards probably for the wrong reasons as I'm sure there's a work around... but what I want to do is frame the pastels without a mat - have a slip put in and have them going right up to the edge of the frame. The person in the frame shop said they would have to be on a stiff surface not paper. I didn't fancy sticking Canson to board ('cos I'd probably muck it up) in case it deteriorated over time. Hence the interest in Art Spectrum. (I have 3 pots of the colours I like in the paper - a black, dark blue and kind of warm grey which I think they call aubergine.)

DFGray
07-17-2001, 04:48 PM
Hi Sandra
I frame most work without mats...using the material called frame space (1/8"x1/8" self adiesive plexiglass strip) I this stick to the glass then cut backing and pastel all to same size .. then tape around edges with medical tape (acid free) ...my galleries like the presentation and shipping and handling and changing frames works out well. I frame my work on Mi Tientes this way also
regards
Dan

cliffwilson
07-18-2001, 01:05 PM
Dan,

Where did you get the "frame space" plexiglass?

Thanks,
Cliff

DFGray
07-18-2001, 05:00 PM
hi Cliff
I ve found two kinds of spacer available in my area, there is an 'S' shaped type that slides or clips on to the glass edge but I think the self adeisive type holds better and maybe gives the glass some more strength, I get mine from a local frame shop, order in bulk, also the larger art supply stores handle frame space, for sure a frame supply dealer will have some it comes in clear, black and in several depths.
regards
Dan

sandge
07-18-2001, 07:06 PM
Thanks very much for the information, Dan. Sounds like a great system. I shall see if I can find this in the UK. :)

cliffwilson
07-19-2001, 08:12 AM
Thanks Dan,

Looks like I'll have to go into Boston. I went in two local frame shops and in both places they looked at me like they were concerned for my sanity. I looked in all my book-marked frame and art supply web sites and couldn't find any spacers. I have no doubt once I find them, I'll see them everywhere. :)

Cliff

Bobbie
07-19-2001, 12:29 PM
Hi, Guys,
Art Spectrum does make a clear primer. It can be quite useful. If you wish to do a watercolor or whatever underpainting & then use the clear primer it will give a lovely 3-D effect. I also thin my primer with a little water and it goes on very smoothly.
As far as spacers if you visit www.frametek.com you will find their line of spacers.
I loved Regatta, too.:clap:

sandge
07-20-2001, 03:10 AM
Great suggestions, Bobbie! Thanks!

Going to have to get some of the clear primer and try watercolouring first. :D

DFGray
07-24-2001, 06:03 PM
hi
another tip re framing with the frame space , I am using fender washers to hold the pastel and all to my frame ... the fender washers have a small hole (for short screws) and are about 1" round, so holds the pastel package in firmly, I change frames around a lot and with just 4 screws (6 if going out to show or gallery) client gets the same with a fancy brown paper sealer on back
regards
Dan

sandge
07-24-2001, 10:43 PM
Dan, I think I need to see that! Any chance you could post a picture of it? Thanks. :D

LDianeJohnson
07-26-2001, 06:51 PM
DF,

Marvelous like your last piece. Your strokes and use of color are all your own and very unique. Love this.

Sandra...yes, I like framing now without mats and still use Canson once in awhile. For the mostpart, I use a ground on museum board, much like DF. I have had a jar of the Golden for about a year but have not tried it yet.

I am going to start a pastel board thread where folks can post surfaces they make. I'll start with the one I make...DF, could you also post there to tell how you use the Golden on mat board? Especially how you tint and apply, then seek the composition? Thanks.

Diane