PDA

View Full Version : Lost In a Dream

pete1199
04-29-2019, 10:43 PM
This is another Dream picture. A photo from a podcast about African women who dream of flying. I really like doing these kind of other worldly kind of paintings. 9X12 on 600 grit Uart sandpaper. Under painting with water and Nupastels. Used hard and soft to finish it up. Criticism and comments are welcome. 865554

water girl
04-30-2019, 03:41 PM
This does feel like a dream sequence. Is she trying to escape the sunlight beaming through the window? When your painting tells a story, it invites the viewer to linger. I'm going to make a suggestion. If you have not cropped your painting and there is a dark area above your woman, show a bit of that. The lighter value that runs up her arm is drawing my attention up and off the paper. You could also just darken the upper edge of that highlight to keep our attention within the painting. As I always say, this is only a suggestion. Think long and hard before you change a thing. It is your painting. :thumbsup:

Donna T
05-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Your dream series is so interesting, Pete! I like Karen's suggestion and the idea of keeping her floating around for a while before she totally leaves the picture. I like the back-lighting effect and the fact that we don't need to see the details of her face. She could be anyone.

pete1199
05-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Thank you Karen and Donna.
There is a blackish ceiling above her head which I cut off when I snapped the picture. Someday Iíll learn how to take good pictures!