PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah, still WIP

Moises Menendez
04-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Hi,
I have not worked on pastel for a while so I decided to take a stab on doing a cheetah. I purchased a video from Jason Morgan and followed his instructions and this is the result. I have not done an animal before except for my little dog many years back. I worked on a Pastel mat 9x12, pan pastel, soft pastels and pencil pastels and I took many hours to finish. I am still working on the background but for practical purposes this work is done. Thank you for watching.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2019/1071012-SHEETAH.jpg

water girl
04-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Moises, this wonderful. You have captured the intent stare of the cheetah, and mastered the various textures. More please. :angel:

bobbymac
04-29-2019, 05:59 AM
This is very nice Moises! I really like the soft edges around the head and body and the sharp edges in the eyes and nose. The hint of blue/purple is outstanding.

Moises Menendez
04-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Moises, this wonderful. You have captured the intent stare of the cheetah, and mastered the various textures. More please. :angel:
Karen, thank you very much!

Moises Menendez
04-29-2019, 06:36 PM
This is very nice Moises! I really like the soft edges around the head and body and the sharp edges in the eyes and nose. The hint of blue/purple is outstanding.

Bob, you got it right! The idea was to bring the eyes and nose to the foreground with sharp edges and contrast using complementary colors, and the rest a bit blurred. The neck and body have similar values s the bottom of the BG.
Thank you!

Humburger
04-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Well, it is a wonderful first try at a pastel animal.

Kiffin
04-30-2019, 01:20 AM
Beautifully done Moises. Those eyes really stand out. You certainly got your moneys worth from the video.

Doodlepad
04-30-2019, 06:27 AM
Beautiful painting and those eyes :eek: You did a great job !:clap: :clap: :clap:

Moises Menendez
04-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Humberger, Sandra, Kiffin: Thank you. I finished it by adding few more whiskers. Thank you for watching.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2019/1071012-CHEE.jpg

LGrayPetPortraits
05-02-2019, 04:48 AM
This is beautiful. You render the fur texture very well and I love the colours you use.

LeahPaintsPonies
05-02-2019, 10:40 AM
I stopped by the pastel section to see how others can use something that I find extremely difficult. I was not disappointed. This is really nice. Great work!

Moises Menendez
05-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Lorraine,
Thank you for your comments. I like your work also.

Moises Menendez
05-02-2019, 03:57 PM
This is beautiful. You render the fur texture very well and I love the colours you use.

Thank you.

Donna T
05-03-2019, 07:44 AM
I know you are very skilled at portraits, Moises, but this one is just ... Wow! You controlled the value changes so well and your work on the fur is exceptional! Do you prefer Pastel Mat for all of your portrait work or did you choose it specifically for doing fur?

Moises Menendez
05-03-2019, 01:16 PM
I know you are very skilled at portraits, Moises, but this one is just ... Wow! You controlled the value changes so well and your work on the fur is exceptional! Do you prefer Pastel Mat for all of your portrait work or did you choose it specifically for doing fur?

Thank you Donna. I used Pastel Mat recommended by Jason Morgan.
Yes, values is my main concern when I work on pastel or charcoal, and I learned to use the I-Phone and revert the color image into a black and white in real time, and it works very well. Have you tried that?
For portraits I prefer Ampersand. But since you have more experience with pastel what is your preferred surface?

Donna T
05-03-2019, 05:38 PM
I've been using Photoshop to make grayscale images, Moises, but need to learn to do it on my phone too. I don't know that I have more experience with pastels, I just try anything and everything I can get my hands on. Surfaces that can take getting wet are my preference but I marvel at those who do such amazing things with Canson Mi-Teintes.

Moises Menendez
05-04-2019, 09:34 AM
In my I-phone I go to "camera" and click it, so it is ready to take a picture. You will see four icons on the top, and at the right upper corner there are three circles which you can click, and there is an appearance of small windows below at the bottom of the active screen. You slide those windows to the left of the screen and at the end you will see three black and white scenes in vivo. In fact, you could compare your work and the reference photo in real time in B&W.

Donna T
05-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Thank you for the tech support, Moises! I had no idea those options were there. I have Mono, Tonal and Noir views among others. I will be using this feature often so thanks again!

Moises Menendez
05-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the tech support, Moises! I had no idea those options were there. I have Mono, Tonal and Noir views among others. I will be using this feature often so thanks again!

You are welcome! I use this trick when I do portraits and try to imitate the values as much as possible when I work using either Pastel or Oil paint. I also use this modality to select the numerous pastel sticks and create a value scale which is almost perfect. It is amazing how the colors can trick you when it comes to values.

Herm Rediess
05-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Beautiful work. I particularly like the reflection effect in the eyes.

Herm

LENGERT
05-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Beautifully done.

Moises Menendez
05-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Herm, Lengert: thank you

ColorEnthusiast
05-19-2019, 11:35 AM
The eyes and the fur are awesome.

Esther

Moises Menendez
05-21-2019, 11:01 AM
The eyes and the fur are awesome.

Esther
Thank you Esther.

Shawn Qui-Qui
05-26-2019, 02:32 AM
This is amazing work! I just can't get my paper to take that much detail.