PDA

View Full Version : northern cardinal WIP

skipstah70
04-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Here's some progress on a northern cardinal I just started work on today. I've always admired the crimson beauty of these guys sitting on various branches in my back yard. This is a first pass on a slightly oversizsed painting of a fat winter cardinal. Many passes to come, and I hope to get a subtle overcast effect on the final piece by the end. Blocked this in Griffin Alkyds so I can progress to layering quickly.

Any C&c most welcome. :cat:

Thanks for lookin'

Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2019/69629-20190424_173146.jpg

Loretta7
04-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Well done, Mike. The way you've painted the feathers make Mr. Cardinal look alive.

skipstah70
04-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Thanks Loretta. I was feeling ok with the basic block in and placement of everything in that pass! Hope to breathe more life in as I go! Mr Cardinal is a tricky shade of red. ;)

skipstah70
04-25-2019, 06:35 PM
Here is a bit more progress from today. I added a bit of oil to the darker layers, what a difference in depth that makes! Still many layers to go on the Cardinal. Next step is to soften all the branch edges into the BG sky a bit more. My photo reference has some extreme depth of field that I didn't want to just "copy " in this regard, but it seems like the simplest way to deal with the branches and is effective in keeping the center of interest on the bird. Not sure why, but my photo doesn't quite capture all the detail on the main branches for some reason.

C&c welcome, cheers, Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2019/69629-20190425_165909.jpg

Triduana
04-26-2019, 02:52 AM
This looks great so far, I really like the composition and the bird is going to stand out really well against the softer background.

Schuee
04-26-2019, 03:51 PM
What a lovely coloured bird. We don't have them that colour, here. I look forward to you completing the painting. I think your branches are very good.

chammi kaiser
04-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Looking great Mike. The colour you have used is vivid and most attractive. I would not worry too much about fine detail in the branches. They are secondary to the bird. Save the detail for the plumage and other features on your lovely cardinal.

skipstah70
04-30-2019, 02:32 AM
This looks great so far, I really like the composition and the bird is going to stand out really well against the softer background.
Thanks Kay! Finding this one fun and challenging!

What a lovely coloured bird. We don't have them that colour, here. I look forward to you completing the painting. I think your branches are very good.
Thanks Penny. I'm in southern Ontario and we have lots of these guys here! They are prob the most colourful bird around and always a joy to find in the backyard! :)

Looking great Mike. The colour you have used is vivid and most attractive. I would not worry too much about fine detail in the branches. They are secondary to the bird. Save the detail for the plumage and other features on your lovely cardinal.
Thanks Chammi. I was thinking I may have gone a little overboard with the red in the bird (they really are kind of blinding though!). I suppose I can always dial it back a bit when I layer over it. I agree in keeping the focus and detail on the bird.. so that will get the most attention. cheers Mike

skipstah70
04-30-2019, 02:34 AM
A bit more progress. Slowly building up the paint and detail. Trying to pull it all together now! A few more passes and I hope to call it done.

cheers Mike ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2019/69629-DSC00299.JPG

KreativeK
04-30-2019, 01:03 PM
Mike, a fantastic feathered friend with this cheerful cardinal. We have them here in Texas. Great work as always!

skipstah70
05-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Mike, a fantastic feathered friend with this cheerful cardinal. We have them here in Texas. Great work as always!
Thanks a ton Kay!

skipstah70
05-08-2019, 04:10 PM
A bit more progress on this guy Had to wait about a week for the previous layers to dry so I could oil them all out evenly. Hit it all with a bit of a glaze to try and soften BG elements, and tried to refine the cardinal and FG branch a bit more. One more pass to smoothen everything out and I think I'll call this study done.

cheers, Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2019/69629-DSC00344_lo_lo.jpg

tuscanny
05-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Beautiful work on the bird and branch!

Vivien Maloney
05-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Mike, I've added Work In Progress to the Thread's Title, so members will know to look back in to it as it progresses. Looking great so far!

chammi kaiser
05-10-2019, 01:37 AM
I am loving that bright red. Such a cheerful colour.

fedetony
05-10-2019, 05:30 AM
Very nice :)... I like the way the cardinal gets sharp and focused...

skipstah70
05-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Beautiful work on the bird and branch!
cheers Christel!

Mike, I've added Work In Progress to the Thread's Title, so members will know to look back in to it as it progresses. Looking great so far! Appreciated Vivien! & Thanks for the + comment.

I am loving that bright red. Such a cheerful colour.Thanks Chammi. Yeah.. you can't help but smile when you see one of these guys chilling in your backyard in the morning. :wink2:

Very nice ... I like the way the cardinal gets sharp and focused...
Thanks Federico. My rendering skills are slow and limited... so I try to limit them to the main point of interest! :)