PDA

View Full Version : Tree Frogs

Doodlepad
04-22-2019, 04:25 PM
It's been a very long time since I've done a painting and posted on WC, this is a pastel with watercolor under painting. Not what I feel is my best work but it was fun.

Thank you for looking... :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2019/50112-tree_frogs.jpg

water girl
04-22-2019, 04:51 PM
This is such a fun painting! Your colors and composition keep my interest. Well done! I hope you will post more.

Charles Perera
04-23-2019, 04:04 AM
I like it for its vibrant colours, dark shades out of which rhe painting stands out so well, and its composition. I would have liked to see a close up of it.

Charles

Doodlepad
04-23-2019, 06:32 AM
I will try and get a closer better shot for you, I'm horrible at taking pictures. Thank you!

Lakshmi2116
04-23-2019, 01:26 PM
love the colors. im looking forward tot he close-up pictures too. one of the great joys of pastels is how vibrant they are and your painting has some gorgeous color in it.

Doodlepad
04-23-2019, 02:48 PM
love the colors. im looking forward tot he close-up pictures too. one of the great joys of pastels is how vibrant they are and your painting has some gorgeous color in it.

Thank you! I don't apply pastels like most do and you will find it hard to tell that they are pastels in a closeup...lol, I do a watercolor painting first, one layer of color then I apply several layers of pastels with Q-tips over the watercolor under-painting. I use charcoal for my darkest shading, I like the dullness it provides. I use Rembrandt Soft Pastels and find that it gives me the vivid bright color I'm looking for in my paintings. One thing I fight with is sharp edges...I hate it when I can't get the sharp edge I'm wanting.

I'll get a different camera and see if I can't get a closer shot. :wave:

water girl
04-23-2019, 03:41 PM
If you ever need help, just click on the red triangle in upper right hand corner.

Doodlepad
04-23-2019, 04:02 PM
It's okay, I was waiting to pick up my other camera to get a good shot of it so it didn't blur, I bought a newer more expensive camera and it isn't as good as the old one....newer doesn't mean better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pastel65
04-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Painting is great! Love the color impact. Pam:wave:

PeggyB
04-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Lovely vivid color and interesting composition. Your method of application is interesting too. Wetting the pastels usually ends up turning them into the appearance of the gouache medium. Have you tried using pastel pencils to get a hard edge that you desire?

Doodlepad
04-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Lovely vivid color and interesting composition. Your method of application is interesting too. Wetting the pastels usually ends up turning them into the appearance of the gouache medium. Have you tried using pastel pencils to get a hard edge that you desire?

Thank you Peggy....I don't apply the pastel to the wet watercolor, I wait till it totally dry and yes I do use the pencils, I may need to try a few different brands and possibly oil pastels. :wave:

kedwards
04-24-2019, 06:35 PM
Fun and cheerfu.! What a great subject for pulling out those bright colors
!

Doodlepad
04-25-2019, 07:40 PM
I like it for its vibrant colours, dark shades out of which rhe painting stands out so well, and its composition. I would have liked to see a close up of it.

Charles

This is the best I could do, WetCanvas is resizing the images and blurring them and I can't get a very detailed image to upload.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2019/50112-wetcanvascloseup.jpg

J.D.
04-27-2019, 12:21 AM
Very nice painting. The vibrant nature of the painting compliments the subject very well.
Using q-tips to apply pastel is an interesting approach. I would be interested to hear more about this. Itís always exciting, for me, to learn something new.