PDA

View Full Version : A conversation about sharing...from a Moderator

water girl
04-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Pastel Forum Members, I’d like to invite you to comment on your fellow members’ paintings. Supporting one another helps us all to grow as artists. Many, many years ago I joined Wetcanvas, and just enjoyed looking at what other pastel artists had created. I carefully took note of the critiques and comments shared. Those comments helped me grow as an artist more than all the classes and workshops I’d taken. Finally, one day, I felt brave enough to make a suggestion and say more than, “That’s nice.”

Most of us post a painting, hoping for suggestions to take our work to the next level. When a member points out strong elements in our work, that comment helps all of us. May I invite you all to get more involved and encourage one another? Take a moment to comment on a fellow artist’s work. Don't forget, if you want comments to add C&C welcome so we know you want suggestions. I have met so many pastel artists here who have pushed me to improve. If you have other friends who paint with pastels, invite them to join us.

I have noticed there are often more “guests” here than “members”. May I encourage those guests to join Wetcanvas? You will be able to comment, post your paintings for comment and have use of the Reference Image Library.

Just remember to be kind to one another. I’m sure you’ve all experienced a lift when one of us points out something amazing about your work. Share that feeling. Thank you!!!

PeggyB
04-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Good advise Karen. I've noticed a huge change in this type of participation over the years too. I've missed the give and take of advise versus just "nice/love/great work" comments. May I include one other observation? Well I'm gonna without permission. lol It is perfectly OK to not agree with the advise of someone else. It is not a comment on the "rightness or wrongness" of what others think. It is not a comment on ones' degree of education or years of experience. Art is subjective; there are many avenues in creating a painting that is satisfactory for both the artist and observer.

water girl
04-24-2019, 03:45 PM
You are always the wise woman of the group, Miss Peggy! :angel: Let's add that a suggestion is a suggestion and each artist must take some time to consider any changes. It is the artist's creation after all. Thank you for "commenting". :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Deirdre*
04-26-2019, 06:43 AM
I totally agree_ commenting on each others work and sharing our own progress is the fastest way to improve your artwork. I know I haven't been around as often as I'd like due to 'complications' of my own, but I still get here every few weeks even if I don't comment much...which I admit is a bit selfish, because I can't do painting yet, it reminds me and makes me feel guilty in several ways.

Having said that, once i'm at the stage to start again I fully hope to comment and be commented on - always using constructive criticism, never negative! Everyone has the ability to draw and paint, and every has the ability to react to the painting....say what feels good about it...mention anything that seems slightly 'off' in your eyes, but only if you can suggest ways it could be made better...whether it's line, colour, tone or cropping etc., we all have ability and valued opinions...but no-one is going to know it if you don't participate! :o

water girl
04-26-2019, 01:54 PM
Well said, Dee. We are awaiting your return. We have sorely missed your comments, wisdom and humor.