PDA

View Full Version : Is Oil Paint suitable to be use on plastic model?

calvin_0
04-17-2019, 03:35 AM
normally, to paint plastic model, we uses acrylic which is basically a liquid plastic, unfortunately acrylic paint has a lot of downside, like drying up in a bottle or drying too fast for hand brushing..

I heard that oil paint like watercolor can be kept indefinitely as long as it's not expose to air..

And I remember seeing oil painting done on walls and furniture... so this make me wonder, can I use normal oil paint on plastic surface? has anyone here try using oil paint on plastic?

Thanks.

Gigalot
04-17-2019, 07:22 AM
Which plastic? You cant paint on PE; PVC;PP or Teflon, but you can try PET, Melamin; ABS or epoxy surface

calvin_0
04-17-2019, 07:35 AM
I think most likely to be PVC, maybe ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) as well. PE cant be paint with acrylic either... at least it's generally dont recommended painting them...

Gigalot
04-17-2019, 07:36 AM
I think most likely to be PVC, maybe ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) as well. PE cant be paint with acrylic either... at least it's generally dont recommended painting them...
PVC is questionable because it contains plasticizer, while ABS is OK. Acrylic and Styrene plastics are useful...

calvin_0
04-17-2019, 07:47 AM
PVC is questionable because it contains plasticizer, while ABS is OK. Acrylic and Styrene plastics are useful...

o.k, if it's questionable, a primer should fix it.. can i use just the normal krylon primer in hardware store or do I have to get a special primer for it? would a primer for enamel paint suitable for oil paint as well?

contumacious
04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
I would find a primer that is compatible with the plastic you are using, then apply the oil paints over that. You might need a different primer for various plastics. You can also bead blast or fine sand blast the piece to give it more tooth for the primer. If you want the paint to dry faster, add some alkyd medium or a drier such as CoZiCa.

If this is something that will be handled and / or you want to make it as durable as you can, put a clear finish coat over the paint once it is completely dry, which with some colors, particularly without any alkyd or drier in it, can take a long time. Your chosen clear finish - oil based poly varnish perhaps - can unify the sheen and modify the look by going with gloss, satin or matte.

Gigalot
04-17-2019, 11:49 AM
PVC is problematic, you can read that and it might help a little:
https://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/