PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ross brand paints are not lightfast?

MrsSellers
04-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Like many other oil painters, I started out with the Bob Ross technique but quickly moved on to other styles. Last night, I was looking at my old Ross paints and could not believe how many of them were labelled "lightfast III". I knew they used real alizarin, but even some of the organic blend colors were III.

My question is to anyone who used Ross paints in the past. Did you notice your work fading with age? I was thinking of using these in a project because they are stiff, but this has me a little nervous.

AllisonR
04-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Perhaps happy little accidents were not meant to last. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't know about the paints, but if they are not lightfast, I would only use them for experiments and studies.

JCannon
04-15-2019, 05:55 PM
It feels strange, on this day, to write about the impermanence of art.

Since I never had any desire to work in the Ross style, I never had any desire to purchase his paints. But I looked 'em up on the Blick site just now, just to see what they were made of. Surprisingly, the pigments are not listed!

Gotta admit, the color swatches are impressive; the pigmentation seems very heavy. The Bright Red cannot be a cadmium -- too inexpensive -- so I'm guessing it's PR170, the permanence of which has been questioned.

MrsSellers
04-15-2019, 06:02 PM
It feels strange, on this day, to write about the impermanence of art.

Yes, I see what you mean. I hope most of them had been stored safely before the constriction started.

The pigments aren't listed at Blick or Jerry's, but they are on the tube. I'm at work and can't look right now, but I think the bright red was a blend of 3 napthols. It's a bright, strong true red (to my eyes). I didn't use them enough to have any opinion on how heavily pigmented or not because I didn't like the Ross technique. It uses a ton of paint.

Gigalot
04-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Apply paint thickly, that prevents fading of low permanent colors.