PDA

View Full Version : A Break in the Clouds (x-post Landscapes)

Donna T
04-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Hi all, I had to get winter out of my system with this one. I'm always fascinated by snow-covered fields and the way they are broken up by all the various groups of trees. When the sun peeks through a hole in the clouds it makes winter worthwhile. 9x18 on blue LaCarte.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2019/97763-A_Break_in_the_CloudsWC.jpg

DAK723
04-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Wide, panoramic landscapes are the hardest to do, in my opinion, but you have created a wonderful painting! The look of the snow, the bare trees & atmospheric perspective are perfect!!

Don

Charles Perera
04-14-2019, 03:11 AM
Donna excellent work; you have created above all the atmosphere of a cold , damp, cloudy and a gloomy winter.

Charles

Loretta7
04-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Wonderful work Donna.

rugman
04-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Great design and fantastic winter "feel" and mood you created! Love this...

kedwards
04-14-2019, 01:32 PM
This is beautiful. The limited cool palette is lovely and serene

Donna T
04-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Thanks so much Don! This is my first attempt at a wide painting and I'm glad you think it works. I made sure to include a diagonal element to tie it all together.

Charles, thank you for such a kind comment. Our winters can be very gloomy and a short burst of sunlight is a real treat!

Thanks Loretta!

Hi Ron and thanks very much!

Thank you Kim. I like limited palettes. They force me to simplify and not hunt endlessly for the "perfect" color.

Humburger
04-14-2019, 04:20 PM
Yes, a very nifty wintery moody piece. I like it. I guess I can handle it, now that winter has really passed. LOL!

Lakshmi2116
04-14-2019, 08:28 PM
A very winters painting! Where I am, even though winter should be gone by now it keeps reading its unwanted head. I saw your painting and had to laugh. I love the winter in your painting but Id like spring now please. Back to your painting, I love the use of blues and the purple in the distance

water girl
04-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Beautiful, Donna! The light on the middle field is so unexpected and IMHO makes the painting one of the best winter scenes we've seen in a while. I'm amazed that you make "winter" work for you. Well done!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Donna T
04-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Thanks Ginny! I'm not sure that winter has passed for us ... the rain that is coming down now is suspiciously chunky. :rolleyes:

Thank you Lakshmi! I'm glad the blues and purples work for you. I think I like them too much.

Thanks Karen! This has been on my easel for a while. Five minutes here, five minutes there and lots of opportunities to look outside for reference. Maybe if I could ski I could find more to like about winter.

Soitainly
04-16-2019, 09:27 PM
I love it, the patterns almost make it look abstract.

Donna T
04-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Thanks Soitainly! I was attracted to those abstract patterns and studied them in some sketches first.

Richard Barrere
05-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Beautiful painting, Donna. Thanks for sharing this. I love winter scenes too, and I find them particularly challenging. There is a kind of stillness or quiet with winter scenes that you capture here brilliantly. Something about the heavy shadowed trees and the way you put the cool colors over the top makes them look still and quiet. I especially like that fence line, and the way the foreground is in shadow and the middle ground has that faint lighter glow in the sunlight. The snow looks heavy and yet soft too, just the way it should. I have marveled at this very thing in nature, looking at scenes very much like this. Expertly handled, and wonderful to look at.

Donna T
05-02-2019, 07:44 AM
Hi Richard and thanks so much for your wonderful comment. I'm glad the quiet mood came through for you; it was my main goal. I debated whether or not to include the fence but in the end I thought it gave a sense of scale so thank you for saying that it works.

bartc
05-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Love both the composition and choice of colors. For a low key painting, it fairly glows.

Moises Menendez
05-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Beautiful scene Donna! This is a good example of a limited palette. This shows that only a couple of colors can make a great composition.

Donna T
05-03-2019, 07:41 AM
Bart and Moises - thank you both for taking the time to comment. I was really trying to keep both the composition and the palette as simple as possible so it's good to hear that you think it worked. I didn't want a lot of "stuff" to compete for attention with the mood and atmosphere.

pete1199
05-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Donna, this is a beautiful use of pastels. I love everything about it.., the cool colors, the sense of distance, the way the mood makes me feel the chill of the air. Simply wonderful.

Donna T
05-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Gosh, Pete, thanks so much for such an encouraging comment! It's always so nice when we paint something that others can relate to.

Rockport123
05-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Beautiful feeling of a wintery day!!! Love it!

Boogiechile
05-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Beautiful. Wonderful glow and stillness to this one. Very engaging.

Donna T
05-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Thank you Marlene and Boogie! It's nice of you both to stop by and I appreciate your kind words.