PDA

View Full Version : Cobra v Holbein

Irishman
04-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Hi
Could I ask those who use WMOs which of the two brands would be considered the better, Cobra by Talens or Duo by Holbein? I can see a price difference. Is it a case of “you get what you pay for”?
Could I also ask which paint brand of the traditional oils would be considered to be more fluid? I gather some of the more expensive such as Harding are more thick. Probably understandably. Thank you

GeorgieB
04-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Forgetting the price difference (sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet) I prefer Holbein paints.

I've used both, like both, but Holbein's just a bit more. If I run out of a Holbein color, I'll use the Cobra (if I have a similar one) until I can get to the art supply store.

Irishman
04-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Forgetting the price difference (sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet) I prefer Holbein paints.

I've used both, like both, but Holbein's just a bit more. If I run out of a Holbein color, I'll use the Cobra (if I have a similar one) until I can get to the art supply store.
Thanks GeorgieB. I agree on the price issue. Sometimes the horse can be lost for the want of a nail and all that.

Kelvin
04-09-2019, 02:26 PM
I think Rembrandt Artists' Oil Colours are considered one of the oilier. Here's a good comparison of some of the leading brands:
https://wonderstreet.com/blog/how-to-choose-a-brand-of-oil-paint

Irishman
04-09-2019, 03:08 PM
I think Rembrandt Artists' Oil Colours are considered one of the oilier. Here's a good comparison of some of the leading brands:
Thanks Kelvin. A lot of great reading there. Brilliant

Richard P
04-09-2019, 03:43 PM
I've used Cobra. The pigment load in some colours is a bit low, while others is fine - it does depend on the pigment. I think holbein is pretty expensive.

Irishman
04-09-2019, 05:16 PM
I've used Cobra. The pigment load in some colours is a bit low, while others is fine - it does depend on the pigment. I think holbein is pretty expensive.
Thanks Richard. I have seen a review of Cobra where it was said that a couple of their colours were a bit”off”, in particular Ultramarine which is a bit of a staple. There was also mention as you say of weak pigments. I’m leaning towards the Holbein with some Cobra. Thanks again.

Dcam
04-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Holbein is the best.

Richard P
04-09-2019, 05:53 PM
I found the Ultramarine OK. The Cobalts, titanium white, pyrrol red and red oxide were weak. The cadmium yellow lemon and cadmium red are good as are Burnt Umber (which is a mix), Yellow Ochre and madder lake.

I don't find any of them as pigment heavy as artist quality oils. But then they are cheaper and I've been told have about 20% less pigment than Rembrandt.

Having said that if you like the consistency of Rembrandt, van gogh, then Cobras are very nice and don't need as much medium as Artisans.

Patrick1
04-09-2019, 06:14 PM
I have several Talens Cobra paints, and am pleased with them. They have a smooth, moderately-thick viscosity. The large easy-grip caps are the best I've seen in water-miscible oil paints, and I've never had one crack yet.

I have only one color in Holbein Duo: Dioxazine Violet. The color is fine but it dries to a completely matte finish, which is unusual because this color is usually highly glossy. Also I don't consider that a desirable trait. To anyone who also uses Holbein Duo, do all colors dry so matte?

billmahler
04-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Good link, thank you.
I've been using Utrecht for over 15 years and the price/performance ratio is as good as I've seen.

Dcam
04-09-2019, 06:50 PM
I think we are getting mixed up with WMOs and conventional oils?

AnnieA
04-09-2019, 09:53 PM
I have only one each of Hobein (Ceramic White) and Cobra (Indian Yellow) and both are paints I really love. In fact, I prefer the Cobra Indian Yellow to other Indian Yellows I've tried in regular oil lines - it's a beautiful, glowing, transparent yellow. Applying your second question to WMOs based on my very limited experience, I'd say the Hobeins are thicker and the Cobras more buttery, but check that out with others before relying on my limited experience.

If you're looking for buttery paints in regular oils, Gamblin and M.Graham are good choices, with the M.Graham being a little stiffer than Gamblin, but not much.

Pinguino
04-09-2019, 09:57 PM
I think we are getting mixed up with WMOs and conventional oils?
Yes, seems to me that happened.

Also keep in mind that in conventional oils, Holbein uses poppyseed oil, which is not best for everyone. I don't know about the WMO, which was the original question.

Irishman
04-10-2019, 04:28 AM
Thank you everybody. I apologise for unduly complicating things by asking about the fluidity of traditional oils in a post to do with WMOs!