PDA

View Full Version : Cennini Oil Paint?

abelardo quinontes
04-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Hey there everyone, i dont know if this is the place to post this

I had just learned of Cennini Oil paints and am wondering if anyone here might be willing to part with whatever they may have, and what information they have on it.

Thanks a bunch!

WFMartin
04-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Hey there everyone, i dont know if this is the place to post this

I had just learned of Cennini Oil paints and am wondering if anyone here might be willing to part with whatever they may have, and what information they have on it.

Thanks a bunch!

Please realize that Cennini Oil Paint is no longer offered. Rob Howard sold his paint making operation to an unknown source who probably ended its production several years ago.

I knew Rob quite well, but I had never purchased any of his paint from him. However, if there is any paint that would have been created with "the oil painter" in mind, it would have been that brand, in my opinion.:)

abelardo quinontes
04-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Please realize that Cennini Oil Paint is no longer offered. Rob Howard sold his paint making operation to an unknown source who probably ended its production several years ago.

I knew Rob quite well, but I had never purchased any of his paint from him. However, if there is any paint that would have been created with "the oil painter" in mind, it would have been that brand, in my opinion.:)
Yeah i read that it was bought out, but am looking for any remains

contumacious
04-08-2019, 11:43 AM
I have never heard of that brand so I went a-googling. Did you see the thread here on WC that talked about them?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445162

That was the only place I was able to find any relevant discussion.

I found one old auction on Ebay using google that had some listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAIMERI-PURO-BLOCKX-AND-CENNINI-OIL-PAINTS-VARIOUS-SIZES-NEW-amp-USED-GREAT-BUY-/201604143518?_ul=CO

I also searched eBay and Craig's List with Search Tempest and found only a jar of Cennini brand beeswax.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cennini-Pelleted-Beeswax-Vintage-Artist-Supply-Leather-Care-150g/323743176771?hash=item4b6098d843:g:lUwAAOSwPGtcBGqH&frcectupt=true

You might consider setting up an automatic search on eBay that will notify you if someone lists any Cennini products in the art supplies section there.

Trisha H
04-08-2019, 02:10 PM

I knew Rob quite well, but I had never purchased any of his paint from him. However, if there is any paint that would have been created with "the oil painter" in mind, it would have been that brand, in my opinion.:) Hi Bill! Just looking in ...been a long time. Hope you're well.

I still have, and use, some of my Cennini paints.
One small set: some yellows and oranges that were a 'special' set made with nanospheres which makes the paint application very uniform, is one I always use for lemons and oranges.
I have a set of Verdacchio greens, and another of Grisaille grey scale colours.
I also have a number of other colours too: Van Dyke, Jaune Brilliant, French Red Ochre, etc.
Very nice paint if you can find some.
I also still use the spray medium (I brush it on and paint into it) I only use it sparingly, and the bottles I bought when they closed will last me some time.

The other brand that I use a lot of is Vasari. Beautifully pigmented, no fillers, and wonderful colours. Goes a long way for someone like me.
One store in the UK sold them after I mentioned them, but after some years, they're paring down some of their stocks now. I still have plenty to last me a long while though, and can get them from NY if need be.

WFMartin
04-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Hi Trish,

My gosh, I do SO admire your work! Once in awhile when I'm painting a still-life or flower painting, I will open one of your paintings on the screen just to prove that such fine, realistic work can be done!

You must have bought up a great stock of Cennini paints in order to still be using them. And, "spray medium"....Wow! That's the stuff that started me on my "progressive focus method" for painting portraits. I actually had an article regarding that method of mine on Cennini, which was an off-shoot of Rob's "Spray Medium Method" of painting a portrait. Though I have run out of the spray medium, I still use the method for portraiture.

Good memories! Stay well, keep up that wonderful work.:)

Trisha H
04-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Hi Bill

Good to hear from you.
Thank you so very much for your comments on my work.
Having been ill and trying to recover for three years, I'm finding it hard to rekindle my discipline and momentum with work.
Seems once something seems under control, something else crops up to deal with: Was starting to feel a lot better, and got asthma really troubling me 9 months ago, and it's been a merry go round of trying to find a drug/drugs that will help me function properly again. Some side effects have been quite severe and alarming.

Never mind, comments such as yours encourage me to get my head in the right place and get more work done. There's so much I want to do, and the galleries have been very patient!

I bought enough of the colours I use to last me some time - thin layers make decent paint go such a long way, as you know.

I mostly use the spray medium in the first layers of the painting - helps it dry evenly and quicker than without. No hard edges with thinner paint either.
I put some in a small pot with an airtight lid, and only top up when needed. I add a little lead naphthenate to it too ...something I will run out of before too long unfortunately.
I still have some black oil too, but haven't used it for a while.
I also bought a decent stash of Ugly Dog brush soap - great stuff!

They were interesting times, and some good people.

Hope you're well too. I'll keep trying ..fighting with some lemons at the moment! :rolleyes:

Ken W
04-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Hi Abelardo,
I have a few tubes that I would be willing to part with...send me a private message...