PDA

View Full Version : Pastel play xpost from landscapes

b'anna
04-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Iím still playing and trying to learn what I can about pastels. These are two different takes on the same reference. Iím having trouble with values in pastel so I bring it into the ipad and play there and the come back and finish. I have also been playing with underpainting. The under-paintings were created on the ipad and then printed on Pastel mat. This lets me do some really bizarre things with under-paintings. I think Iím having more fun with the under-paintings . Each gave me a direction I wanted to go and set up the paintings really nicely.

Any and all critiques are welcome.
Thanks for looking!
Barb

water girl
04-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Your foliage is beautiful. Your stoke work adds great interest and some movement. I'm particularly drawn to the tire swing in your second painting. You have created a very clever resting place for the eyes by keeping the stroke work to a minimum, and using your highest and lowest values in that small area. It draws us in quite nicely to a focal point. Keep going!!! It look like you are enjoying this journey.

ColorEnthusiast
04-07-2019, 03:10 PM
The second one is really spot on. The foliage is beautiful and the tire swing makes a nice focal point and creates a little story too.
I never thought it is possible to print on PastelMat.

Esther

b'anna
04-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Thanks Karen , It has been such a fabulous journey and I am so enjoying it. I tried Pastels years ago but didn't like them. Man, has my mind changed!
Esther, thanks so much. I think my advantage is I have no clue what I'm doing so I try everything! LOL It works on pastel mat without bleeding. I've tried other papers but they bleed a lot but it could work if that is what you want. When you print the colors are not as bright but I am having fun with it. AND I read that canon ink is Archival.

Oh and I have to give hubby the credit for the swing. He was looking over my shoulder on the first one and said, the only thing missing is a tire swing , and I'm ahha....and I did it again and in went the tire swing.

Thanks again ladies!
Barb

Humburger
04-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Wow! Beautiful work.

b'anna
04-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Thanks so much Ginny!! I so appreciate you stopping by!

pete1199
04-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Barb,
Your pastels are beautiful!

b'anna
04-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Pete, You are so kind! Thank you so much!!

Rockport123
04-08-2019, 02:39 PM
I love the second one as well! Great use of warm tones!

Donna T
04-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Two very nice paintings - and an interesting underpainting technique! I recently found a great article by oil painter John MacDonald about how best to paint trees. He talks about edges and sky holes and everything in between so I'll pass it along in case you're interested:

https://www.outdoorpainter.com/how-to-paint-trees-plein-air/

b'anna
04-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Donna,Marlene Thanks so much!
I'll take a look at the link, Thanks for sharing!
Barb