PDA

View Full Version : WP / need some help

gergab
04-03-2019, 05:51 AM
I did this based on a photo. It originally has very dim, flat light but I ended up creating this 3d effect on some of the trees as I used acrylic ink for underpainting darks and now I am stuck with this light source...what can I do for this to work more? Also introducing some more color would be nice but I have no idea which ones. Would you touch any reds?

I had to realize again that the acrylic underpaint for darks when trying to paint a lot of treetrunks is a painful process and isnt likely to work in a smaller size picture...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2019/1983576-patakpart.jpg

water girl
04-03-2019, 01:15 PM
gergab, I'm going to move your thread over to the Gallery area where it will attract more attention. I'm leaving redirect arrows for you, so you don't think I removed this thread.

Donna T
04-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Hi gergab, are you saying that the tree trunks are too dark and you can't lighten them with pastel? I've never tried acrylic inks so I don't know what they are like. I kind of like the lighting you have now. I see it as very bright light coming from the left. Maybe a few darks on the right sides of the trunks would help show that the light is coming from the left? As for adding more color I think that once you decide what your main idea is you can play up the lighting effects with colors that work; for example warm yellows, oranges or reds in the sunlit areas vs. cooler blues or lavenders in the shadow areas. If you'd like to share your reference photo that might help - even if you changed the lighting it would help to see what you're working with.

Dea
04-03-2019, 11:48 PM
I like the effect you have too, I would say the same as Donna about colours
Deanna

gergab
04-05-2019, 06:49 AM
Thank you. This is the image I used. I was thinking of doing some blueish tones on the bank. I wanna keep the painting mainly cold in color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2019/1983576-44759633_198124854454042_3239097705540392476_n.jpg

Donna T
04-05-2019, 07:58 AM
It looks like you have a good photo to work with - lots of information and also room for your own interpretation. If the sun is lower in the sky the blues you are planning to use on the bank will be very believable. You can even show some of that coolness on the lower side of the tree trunks if you'd like. The wispy, weedy things growing along the river bank are perfectly placed to catch the sun here and there. A few warm accents might make your cool colors look even cooler. I look forward to seeing your progress!

gergab
04-06-2019, 10:04 AM
I added some stuff, screwed it up, and then destroyed the whole thing with my fixative:) I guess i'ts a lesson.

Btw. acrylic ink is a really good way to create big blocks of darks if you wanna go lighter on your dark pastels. Drawing trees seems to counterproductive, although one could use it the way it can be seen here to creative that 3d effect on purpose.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2019/1983576-riverbank.jpg

Donna T
04-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Add stuff, screw it up, destroy with fixative and repeat ... sounds familiar to me! Looks like you are coming along fine with this.