PDA

View Full Version : Critique please...

Kim34
04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2019/149321-Landscape_ip.jpg

Hi All,

It's been quite awhile since I've posted, and just recently started painting again. I'd love some input on this piece. I started playing around with what I could do on Canson Mi-Tientes and made it to this stage. I'm kind of liking it but feel stuck. How can I improve this?

Thanks!

Kim

Moises Menendez
04-01-2019, 03:14 PM
This is a good landscape and at least for me it is difficult to give a realistic critique since you used all the tips needed to be a good work. I like the use of the complementary colors, the curve of the path going toward the distant trees, and the violet bluish hills at the distance. Also the use of the cool and warm colors was very smart!

Kim34
04-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Okay, thank you Moises! I did get a suggestion from an art group I'm in on Facebook to maybe add some carefully placed poppies in the grass, which I'm considering.

Best,

Kim

water girl
04-01-2019, 05:21 PM
The foliage on those trees on the left and in the distance are outstanding. Yes, I could see some flowers in the field leading your eye toward the distant trees and hills.

PeggyB
04-01-2019, 06:17 PM
Personally I think flowers would be overkill;especially if they are of a different color family than what is already present in this painting. Red poppies would become a very powerful statement of "red flowers". California poppies, yellow gold, would be within the right color family, but I don't know if they exist when the grasses are tall and dried out. Do you know where this scene is located?

The grasses on the left have a nice, light feeling with varying height and textures. Those on the right seem very "heavy" with an almost straight line across the tops; no "in and out" of dark and light,and little obvious texture.One would think the lower right grasses would have more texture than the left side grasses because they are nearer to the foreground. Its almost as though each side was painted on different days, and you lost track of what you wanted to do. I know Canson can be difficult to add more layers after a certain point, but it shouldn't take too much more to add some lighter value swatches of grass similar to whats on the left.

Lastly, the teardrop light blue sky hole on the right side of the trees caught my eye almost before anything else in the painting. All of the other sky holes are smaller and not so perfectly shaped. That stand of trees, distant mountains, sky, rutted road, and lovely grayed greens and violets of grass are all very nice. Your color palette is well chosen.

BTW: I live just east of you in Issaquah.

Kim34
04-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Peggy,

Thanks so much for the in depth critique! I will review everything you've mentioned. I agree about the value and heaviness of the right wheatfield!

Very nice to know there's another pastellist nearby. :) We could meet for coffee sometime.

Kim

Kim34
04-01-2019, 08:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2019/149321-A_Quiet_path.jpg

Peggy,

I made a few changes you suggested and I'm happier with it. Thank you! I could probably go farther with adding dimension and variation to the wheat field but I'm worried about overworking it. Overall I'm happy with it, and it was an experiment to begin with so I'm fine with it.

PS I don't know where the photo was taken, it was a royalty free image that I did not take.

Thank you!

Kim

Kim34
04-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Watergirl,

Thanks so much - I feel I really struggle with trees so that's a compliment. I did put some flowers in but didn't like them, it felt overdone, so I removed them.

Kim

Donna T
04-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Very nice work, Kim, and I hope we'll be seeing more! I liked your first version but the changes you made to the tree work well. You gave us a good impression of the quality of the grasses without having to detail each one and that's always something to be proud of. It's hard to do that kind of thing from a photograph because it presents way more information than you need. I read somewhere that we should "paint the masses, not the grasses" but this painting needs those few details because of the up-close view, or so it seems to me.

ColorEnthusiast
04-03-2019, 02:54 PM
A very nice painting and Peggy made some good suggestions.

Esther

Doodlepad
04-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Very nice....love the lighting, can feel the warmth. I just started painting again after a few years.

PeggyB
04-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Peggy,

Thanks so much for the in depth critique! I will review everything you've mentioned. I agree about the value and heaviness of the right wheatfield!

Very nice to know there's another pastellist nearby. :) We could meet for coffee sometime.

Kim
Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been otherwise occupied of late.

Kim the Greater Seattle area is filled with pastel artists. Thankfully for me, many of them live on the eastside so the class I teach at Kirkland Arts Center is almost always full or near full; they are small classes too because of the room they're in, and I like that.

Coffee is always welcome, but I'm not inclined to drive to Seattle proper given the constant construction and road changes there. Mercer Island is a half way destination, and naturally there is a Starbuck's there. lol From here is is probably fastest to contact me through my website. I always get an email notification from there that someone has contacted me.

Peggy

PeggyB
04-12-2019, 06:44 PM
YES! Good changes, and I understand not wanting to overwork in this surface. I'd say your experiment is a success. :clap:
Now on word and up word with the next one.
Peggy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2019/149321-A_Quiet_path.jpg

Peggy,

I made a few changes you suggested and I'm happier with it. Thank you! I could probably go farther with adding dimension and variation to the wheat field but I'm worried about overworking it. Overall I'm happy with it, and it was an experiment to begin with so I'm fine with it.

PS I don't know where the photo was taken, it was a royalty free image that I did not take.

Thank you!

Kim