PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Ink Monthly Challenge: April

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Welcome to our forum challenge for April 2019 in which we continue our encouragement to Draw from Life!

Let's capture our own personal and individual moments and share them here on this thread!

All suggestions/subjects/themes come from those who participate!:lol:

** As you post your own drawing in this thread, please then also suggest ONE subject/topic for next month. One entry = One suggestion for the following month .... another entry? - another suggestion!:)

By the end of the month we should have a range of ideas from which you can choose and please do feel free to discuss any of the suggestions raised: who knows, you may even start keeping your own private list for future ideas!**

One important rule -Entries must be at least 75% pen and ink in any colour - and wash or colour may be added.

Your topics for this month are .....

Favourite artist's tool

Bags - of any description

a sign of Spring

fire

Draw something hanging on your wall

furniture

an ornament or sculpture we have in our house.

Garden accessories.

Some type of hair grooming tool

"discarded clothes" , interpret it as you wish ! but perhaps rather unimaginatively I had in mind drawing a still life of the folds & creases, the lighting etc.

draw a rug- I was specifically thinking of Persian or Oriental rugs with all the repetitive images.

Memorable structures. (could be your birthplace, hometown, or memorable designs, etc.)

Quite a selection!

Draw from life if you possibly can - but for some, that could be difficult!:)

Enjoy ... happy drawing!:)

pedlars pen
04-01-2019, 03:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2019/1267204-_Full_page_scan_1_Jpeg_small_pix.jpg

"A favourite artists tool" - just a quick scratch of about postcard size but fills 15 mins. For next month. "The scene looking out of my your window"

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Crikey Mike .... that was quick! That's a nicely drawn pen especially.:)

Payne's Grey
04-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Hah! Mike beat me! Nice one, Mike.

Here's my favorite artist's tool. I'm guessing most people on this forum has one or more Lamy Safaris! And, I know many use Platinum Carbon Ink. I like to sketch with it, but I'm also being slowly won over with Uni-pens.

About 5x7 or so on HP watercolor paper.

PLEASE excuse the color. I got carried away with my love for my yellow EF Safari ;-) I have a red, yellow and 2 black Safaris. I can't explain how I ended up with all of them...

For May: Sketch something outside.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2019/2120925-LamySafari-PlatiniumCarbonInk-800.JPG

pedlars pen
04-02-2019, 05:29 AM
That's working very nicely John, nice tight lines.I think your use of colour is perfectly balanced for P&I too.
"I have a red, yellow and 2 black Safaris. I can't explain how I ended up with all of them... ... , I got carried away with my love..... "
Oh dear , you've got it bad too ! :lol:
Mike

LENGERT
04-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Pedlars pen: Nice work for a 15 minute sketch.
John: WOW wonderful controlled work. Thanks for the info on pens. I'll have to look into getting one.

LENGERT
04-02-2019, 10:26 AM
SIGN OF SPRING

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2019/78307-IMG_1521.JPG

Micron pen with watercolour pencil.

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2019, 12:22 PM
John - a beautifully balanced grouping - nice linework and I think the colour is good! (Gold - looks expensive!;))

Sanlynn - very intricate, convoluted forms here - good! (We need your suggestion for next month please!:)

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Suggestions for May -

The scene looking out of my /your window

Sketch something outside.

your favorite gardening tools

Typography

pedlars pen
04-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Hi sanlynn, that's a really nice drawing, all of those dynamic curves & folds lead my eye to flow down it like a waterfall. Love it !
Mike
PS. You forgot to suggest a subject for next month :)

Potterspink
04-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Three good entries and it's only the 2nd of April, I'll have to get my inky fingers going😊
Potters

Payne's Grey
04-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the comments, all.

Very nice penwork, Sanlynn.

It's looking like this might be a busy month for the monthly challenge forum!

LENGERT
04-02-2019, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your encouraging comments.
Suggestion for next month: your favorite gardening tools.
Just noticed you have garden accessories so I'll have to think of something else.

Nterjosh
04-02-2019, 10:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2019/973432-Garden-Tool.jpg

"Garden accessories" This thing is easier to pull/chop weeds with than to draw. Fun sketch none the less!

Next month suggestion, "Typography"

pedlars pen
04-03-2019, 04:36 AM
Your nice lose hatching has described the surfaces well there Nterjosh.:thumbsup:
Not got a scanner handy ? there's some pretty good mobile phone camera app scanners you can get for free.Sometimes I use one for convenience/laziness! & they're fine for pics for the net. Certainly a lot better than using the straight camera.;)
Mike

psepheroth
04-03-2019, 06:37 AM
I always love hatching. Nice work.

Payne's Grey
04-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Nterjosh, that's a nice tonal range in your hatching and an effective rendering.

JenieJo
04-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Hello Everyone, I don't use pen and ink at all (almost), so I've started with something with simple lines and smooth texture. It's my favourite night light.

I decided to join in to work on my sketching. It is totally freehand with no editing. I know there's many things I could correct ... will do in the next version.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2019/2064401-image.jpeg

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Wow -Josh, that looks lethal!
Good drawing though - the handle texture is well done.:)

Jennie - everyone has to start somewhere, so why not like this?.. I love those sketch lines seeking out form - it's good!

Thanks for joining in - an now, a suggestion to add to next month's subjects?

Sanlynn - I've added yours, gardening still continues next month too!:lol:

Nterjosh
04-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone! Mike, thanks for mentioning the scanner. Ive got one at work and home, but failed to connect the dots.

On another note, I dont think Ive ever properly introduced myself to the group. Im a country boy from North Carolina, a degree in Advertising & Graphic design, have 20+ years of experience doing tile/marble work, about 7+ years experience building curve/spiral staircases, and now sit behind a computer drawing/designing staircases on autocad and programming our CNC. My life basically revolves around creating/drawing/building things. With all that, Im still drawn to my love of pen and ink. So glad to have found this community.

Josh Watson

JenieJo
04-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Thanks Maureen, that's what I was thinking. I really experimenting with the marks I could make..

JenieJo
04-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Oh! Something new things on I 'must try these' list. :)

JenieJo
04-03-2019, 04:56 PM
My suggestion ... coat hanger/s

JenieJo
04-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Too much shorthand I think! Thanks Maureen for your comments. That's why I enjoy searching this group. The support is amazing.

Payne's Grey
04-03-2019, 08:32 PM
This one goes under "Bags" in case it isn't recognizable... :lol:
~5x7" Bristol with Uni-Pen Micro

Next month: Detail of a vehicle part (light, wheel, grill, logo, etc.).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2019/2120925-Dans_Food.jpg

Payne's Grey
04-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Welcome, Jennie. :wave: I recognize those nightlights!

Hey Josh! Thanks for the introduction. I guess I should do that too one of these days... Sounds like a nice job you have. Running a CNC sounds more like fun than a job! :lol:

pedlars pen
04-04-2019, 05:08 AM
I decided to join in to work on my sketching. It is totally freehand with no editing. I know there's many things I could correct ... will do in the next version.

Hi Jenie ,pleased you decided to join us here :)
You say you don't use pen and ink at all (almost), well you have started out with the right attitude !
"Totally freehand & no editing ", that is THE way to find your way in pen & ink! hang lose & go for it without the chance of correction or fiddling with your drawing.
Working in this way without worrying about the result will give life & soul to a drawing ,you have stumbled on a really important lesson of pen & ink sketching !
Feeling & spirit are MUCH more important in drawing than accuracy.
Surely ?
Mike

pedlars pen
04-04-2019, 08:42 AM
This one goes under "Bags" in case it isn't recognizable... :lol:
~5x7" Bristol with Uni-Pen Micro

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2019/2120925-Dans_Food.jpg Of course it's recognisable it's shape & feel is articulately described ! but does it have character ? does it have the unique personal touch of the artists hand ? Is it an attractive drawing ?
For me personally, stippling when used either exclusively or as the major dominant technique in a drawing, robs it of the essential feeling of a human touch.
I think it walks straight past the many varied exciting possibilities of degrees of abstraction inherent in P&I , races past personal expression & knocks on the bland door of pixelation ! It's all just too easy & unimaginative a technique to my eyes , sure, before easy digital photography it was taught to medical & archeological students as THE way to accurately record things & it is perfectly suited to record the physical reality of something but for artistic purposes it is a sorely lacking technique. Don't you think so ?
Mike

Charlie's Mum
04-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Suggestions for May -

Typography

Coat hangers

Detail of a vehicle part (light, wheel, grill, logo, etc.).

Charlie's Mum
04-04-2019, 02:11 PM
I'm not a purist and though I prefer line work I do think this is a very good drawing John - it describes the form well and I like the variation in tone.

To each his own!:)

I did one stipple/dot drawing years ago, it was about 2" high, of an owl ornament, and it took me so long I never did have the patience to do another!:lol: :lol:

pedlars pen
04-04-2019, 04:34 PM
To each his own!:)
Heck YES, of course !
I just like discussing the aesthetics of P&I with an obviously accomplished artist, you never know even the closed mind of a purist might be opened :eek: :lol: :lol:
Mike

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2019, 10:45 AM
I wonder if I'll see the day .....!!!;) :evil: :lol:

Potterspink
04-05-2019, 01:37 PM
A good three dimensional piece of work Nterjosh, it looks like a handy
gardening implement.
Potters

Potterspink
04-05-2019, 02:06 PM
I seem to have missed page two, this tablet has a mind of its own.

Jennie I think it looks cute and I like your free line work, it looks very instinctive.

John I think your bag is well drawn and the stippling effective. I would have probably copped out and done a wash😊
Potters

Payne's Grey
04-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Well, thanks for the comments about the shopping bag-seriously! Every now and then, I like to exercise my drawing hand with a bunch of dots. I'll never be a Robert or M.Ramos, but I still like to try. Looking back, the shadowing on a paper bag would've been better done with washes as Potters mentioned. I thought of you, Mike, before I started dotting :wave: but I couldn't see any way to shadow that big, plain bag with hatching. At least, I held back on the watercolors! :lol:

Onward! I believe a garden tool is next up...

Nterjosh
04-06-2019, 09:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2019/973432-Fire.jpg

Here's my attempt at fire. It's looking down on our little firepit. I had all intentions of including the firepit itself in the drawing, as well as some of the wood. As you can see, the fire took over the page.

Payne's Grey
04-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Fine job, Josh! Certainly not an easy subject to carry off with pen & ink from that perspective. Nice tonal range with the hatching.

Charlie's Mum
04-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Oh I love this!
Nice abstract pattern from the flames, lovely tonal variation ......... just like a tapestry or embroidery Josh!

pedlars pen
04-06-2019, 03:33 PM
I'm sure I can see some sort of primeval form starting to emerge in there, sort of north west coast tradition !
Mike

Grinningbudgie
04-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Hey everyone, fantastic drawings so far!

Here are a couple of freehand sketches I did with a uni-ball pen:

Some garden pruners

My husband's beard brush

For next month I will suggest a bird feeder.

pedlars pen
04-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Nice loose yet accurate work Amy.:)
Mike

Payne's Grey
04-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Nice job Amy! I've been meaning to get one of those brushes...

Payne's Grey
04-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Here's my garden tool. A short shovel that belonged to my Dad in the '40s. He used it to shovel "clinkers" out of our coal furnace and new lumps in from the coal bin. I use it quite often and it's still solid and tight! I remember seeing smaller shovels like this on the small steam switch engines they used in the railroad yard where he worked. :angel:

~5x7 on bristol using a micro Uni-Pen.

Next month: a soft drink container.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2019/2120925-Shovel1.jpg

pedlars pen
04-07-2019, 03:05 AM
Nice John, as soon as I seen that shovel I could see it wasn't quite a garden shovel !
Mike

Charlie's Mum
04-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Amy - they are so good, the pruners and the brush ....... but with the brush having no context re proportion, it looks like my old floor-scrubbing brush!:lol::lol: ... nice to have a little giggle!:)

Nice work John - particularly on the handle and shaft ..... good to know that shovel still has a home and use ...... had it not been 'rescued', it would be toast now - or ashes!:lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-07-2019, 06:20 AM
Suggestions for May -

Typography

Coat hangers

Detail of a vehicle part (light, wheel, grill, logo, etc.).

a soft drinks container

a bird feeder

Grinningbudgie
04-07-2019, 07:00 AM
Great job on the shovel! I love how you have drawn it hanging from a board. :clap:

Payne's Grey
04-07-2019, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Amy! :)

JenieJo
04-08-2019, 06:42 AM
Thanks John. Just cost give it away :)

JenieJo
04-08-2019, 06:45 AM
Thanks Pottersink, I wasn't sure about the line work.

JenieJo
04-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Many thanks Mike. I was thinking accuracy would eventually come, as long as I kept at it. I hope to enter for quite a while.

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2019, 07:53 AM
Well Jennie - plenty of subjects to choose from!:lol:

pedlars pen
04-08-2019, 07:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2019/1267204-_Tythe_barn.jpg
Memorable structures. (could be your birthplace, hometown, or memorable designs, etc.)
This is the old tythe barn a couple of hundred yards from my front door,circa1445 from memory.
I did it with the Pentel touch pen but have to get out of the ingrained habit of dip pen technique if I want to make the most of this pen :o .The scan too doesn't show the amount or depth of shadowing on the yard paving .Oh well next time :lol:
Mike

Payne's Grey
04-08-2019, 08:37 PM
Nice one, Mike. I like your shadowing.

pedlars pen
04-09-2019, 03:40 AM
Thanks John, I should have said this was done from a photo & not life because it is a bit cold for sitting out at the moment but there are "signs of spring" everywhere.- that'll be the next one for me I think.
Mike

Potterspink
04-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Good texture on you brush bristles Amy, a very even density to it.

My grandad had one of those shovels John, I used to use it to bring in the coal for him, happy memories😊

I was admiring the way you've done the shadows on your Tithe building as well Mike, I like the effect of their softness against the pen line. One to remember😊
Potters

pedlars pen
04-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Thanks Potters, I do find it helpful to get this feedback from fellow artists.:)
Mike

Grinningbudgie
04-09-2019, 07:05 PM
I love the details in this Mike. Particularly the little cracks in the white panels and how you've drawn the tree shadows which remind me of dappled sunlight. :thumbsup:

Payne's Grey
04-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Well, it was such a nice day here today, I decided to sit on the porch awhile for the first time this year. I thought, Look at that! A star hanging on the wall! I went back in and grabbed some bristol and a pen and did this.
Of course, it's red, white and blue! The picture is on bristol about 3-1/2 x 5 in. sketched with a Uni-Pen Micro. (Those little stars are hard to draw around!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2019/2120925-star.jpg

Grinningbudgie
04-09-2019, 08:14 PM
What a wonderful star! Those little stars turned out real nice for how small they are. Such patience. :)

pedlars pen
04-10-2019, 04:34 AM
Thanks for your comments Amy, don't tell anyone but those cracks were not really there ! I think I was trying to get away from a "diagram" type look.
Mike

pedlars pen
04-10-2019, 04:53 AM
That's a really good rendering there John, I like the way you have used the texturing on the brick work to depict both the actual rough texture of them & the lighting of them at the same time.
The star too ! - most careful both observation & intellectual analysis of the fall of light/shadow (& colour!) to make a really convincing & pleasing drawing. A minor masterpiece ! :thumbsup: Who needs colour eh ?
Mike

Charlie's Mum
04-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Mike - how nice to live near such a barn -!
A complex drawing this - not easy to depict the two levels -and all that work in the stone and brick work too - very nice.
I like the softness of the shadows on the paving - and the wooden beams - nice!

John a little star and a star piece - precise work needed for this - good one!:)

Payne's Grey
04-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments. I have to sit on the porch and sketch more often! :)

artastic
04-13-2019, 02:48 PM
fantastic works John

just scratches here, did a couple quick ones, the last art for a while, I am off to England for a couple weeks and hope to do some sketching there

sign of spring: a mating pair on the lake
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2019/104250-sign.jpg

some accessories in my garden, and an abandoned sweater (got too warm on the deck)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2019/104250-garden_Acc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2019/104250-discarded.jpg

Potterspink
04-14-2019, 07:38 AM
When visiting a country house I saw these old work boots lining the path to the gardner's greenhouse which they'd used as tulip planters and sat down to sketch them. I took a photo to use for the hatching back at base.
I'm away from home this month so I don't have much with me and this was done in my A5 sketch book and is 6" x 6" I'm itching to put some washes on it to clarify things as I think it looks quite confusing as it is, perhaps if I'd used a wash for the shadows it would read better.
Signs of spring
Potters

pedlars pen
04-14-2019, 11:27 AM
So you go to an English country house & your eye finds a old pair of gardening boots ? :eek: -Well that' an artists eye for you !:lol:
You do look to have the bones of something really good there though.
When kit must be minimal I like to carry just a fountain pen & then you can take wash from the line with a twig & use spit for the water,it works better than water actually !
Let's see those tulip planters too, sounds interesting :thumbsup:
Mike

Potterspink
04-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Alas Mike we've moved on so there will be no tulip planters from me in the near future. You reminded me that I've got an old water brush lurking in one of my bags, I'll have to hunt it out.
Thanks Potters

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Bonnie, they're lovely scratchings! .... fresh, and of the moment.

Potters, I find that quite a sensitive drawing with a nice contrast in shapes .... wellies, boots and tulip leaves!

Potterspink
04-17-2019, 03:52 AM
Thanks Maureen, it's one that I really enjoyed doing.
Potters

Payne's Grey
04-17-2019, 01:02 PM
I just saw this one, Potters. I like the drawing, and like the idea of the old boots being used for planters. I believe a bit of color tinting will really make it pop.

Potterspink
04-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Thanks John, no sooner said than done, I did this earlier today.Apologies for the photo quality but I had to do it with my Amazon Fire.
Potters

Charlie's Mum
04-17-2019, 03:20 PM
:thumbsup: :)