PDA

View Full Version : A fountain pen portrait

tuscanny
03-30-2019, 11:11 AM
A4 with a fountain pen. The lines and dots are not that fine so I decided to color it in here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21575083&posted=1#post21575083)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2019/1256189-a4_fountain_pen.jpg

Scene Chaser
03-30-2019, 01:54 PM
Very nice, Christel. I like this hairy guy.
Bill

laika
03-30-2019, 07:16 PM
Ah! So glad you posted this here, Christel :) I hope people will click through to your oil pastel color version - such an interesting mix of materials and so well done. But your pen-and-ink portrait stands strong on its own, with that combination of line and stippling, not to mention the variety of shades in the background. An effective and impressive mix of ink techniques. Good Stuff!

pedlars pen
03-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Portraits in pen & ink ? Surely the hardest challenge in P&I !
You did well Christel .
Yes Lamar I did click through to look at the coloured version but in truth thought it was a total separate work rather than a P&I with colour work, (nice though it was).
I have more than once admired Christels skill with a pen but on the very high standards she has set herself I don't see this as a breakthrough on the eternal difficulty that doing portraits presents.
I think looking back into the successful P&I portraits I have seen historically speaking, the artist has either just used exquisitely skilled outline work alone or chosen a really craggy face with plenty of scope to do line work.
I think it would have been slightly more successful if you had worked on a larger scale or used a finer pen to do the stippling BUT much more than anything & with regret I must admit - Pen & ink does have it's limitations.:eek: :lol: :lol:
Mike

tuscanny
03-31-2019, 12:42 AM
Thanks Bill, Lamar and Mike.
Mike - I agree with you on your points and that's why I decided to add color to it as I wasn't too happy with the thick lines of the fountain pen.

Charlie's Mum
03-31-2019, 06:26 AM
I think this is a fine portrait Christel! No idea about the likeness but it certainly shows character and I rather like the economy of the medium!:) - there could have been a temptation to overwork, which you've resisted.:)

I also like the coloured version too so I'm glad you provided the link (Thanks Lamar!!!!)

tuscanny
03-31-2019, 01:02 PM
Thanks Maureen! Appreciate it.

rosta
04-01-2019, 07:21 AM
Nice portrait Christel. You've captured his smile very well.

tuscanny
04-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Thanks Ron!