PDA

View Full Version : Young Friend

Humburger
03-29-2019, 01:14 AM
This is soft pastels and pastel pencils on 12x16 orange Canson Mi-tientes paper. I am so emotionally exhausted that I am struggling not to hate this portrait. I confess that I am desperate for encouragement... This one was hard and I do not know why...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2019/2095231-anjali-finished.jpg

Cross-posted in portraits.

Kiffin
03-29-2019, 01:30 AM
Ginny I think the structure of the painting is good. It is almost abstract and I think this is because there is very little modelling. The colours have very little variation. This gives a flatness overall. It is probably a good likeness though. Portraits are not easy, so keep at it and you will improve.

water girl
03-29-2019, 02:00 PM
I like this portrait as it is. There is a bit of whimsy in her pose and expression and the way you have painted her. Yes, more shadowing could be brought in, but it's terrific as is.:thumbsup:

Humburger
03-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Ginny I think the structure of the painting is good. It is almost abstract and I think this is because there is very little modelling. The colours have very little variation. This gives a flatness overall. It is probably a good likeness though. Portraits are not easy, so keep at it and you will improve.

Yes, that is one of the bad parts. The reference photo, which is in the post on the portrait forum, did not have good light. That is no excuse for me not doing a good job, though. 😉 Abstract? I do not understand...

Thank you for looking and commenting. 😄

Humburger
03-29-2019, 06:39 PM
I like this portrait as it is. There is a bit of whimsy in her pose and expression and the way you have painted her. Yes, more shadowing could be brought in, but it's terrific as is.:thumbsup:

Thank you. She has a relaxed and sleepy aspect about her. 😊

Humburger
03-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Okay, I tried making some touchups over the fixative. It worked pretty well. I tend to get so many layers of pastel on the paper that I can't add any more, but working it over the fixative did the trick. It is not perfect, but I think it is an improvement. What say you?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2019/2095231-IMG_9269_small.jpg

Also, I took a photo with my camera, instead of scanning it...

Kiffin
03-30-2019, 01:33 AM
Much better Ginny.

Luvy
03-31-2019, 11:32 AM
I like the coloring much better in the second photo. You should be proud of this portrait. I understand your problem with shadows. I have the same problem. I just don't get it most the time. Unless a photo has a lot of shadows and highlights I get lost. I do portraits too. Since doing those I can't do landscapes which is why I started painting in the first place. I find portraits have to be so exact otherwise they don't look like the person. And landscapes you fake a lot of things. And I use suede mat board which makes the colors more vibrant, and holds the pastels much better than papers I've tried.

ColorEnthusiast
04-01-2019, 07:31 AM
I like this a lot and the second photo shows a huge improvement.
The composition is good and the colors harmonic. Likeliness is often difficult to get as a few millimeters off and the likeliness is gone.
I found a trick for this recently. If I work from a photo I take a photo from the painting and overlay it with the original photo on the computer. E.g. in photoshop or open office, anything that allows layering of images and manipulating the transparency of the upper image.
Then I resize the images so, the face in the painting and the face in the photo have the same size and lay exactly at the same position. Then increasing and decreasing the transparency of the top image really shows the little differences where the painting is off.

Esther

Humburger
04-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Thank you, Esther. I do not have a perfect likeness, but to the many I showed it to who know her, they immediately recognized her. That is always a great relief. 😜