PDA

View Full Version : How are hog bristles harvested ?

sound
03-27-2019, 02:02 AM
Do they come as a by product of the meat industry ? Or, are they raised specifically for their hairs and trimmed ? Or, are they plucked while they are alive? !!! (i hope this is not true...but i have read it in few places ). But i dont understand why would they even do it , i mean whats the point ? They say it raises the value of the bristles twice. Well i presume they are able to pull out longer hair? But that can be done after slaughter as well. Isn't it ? Its really disturbing . I also cant dismiss the fact that it may be an over the top claim by PETA . So looking for well informed answers.

Harold Roth
03-27-2019, 07:24 AM
I have always thought it was from dead animals. I will look it up. I bought boar bristle paint and hair brushes specifically because I thought the bristles were harvested from pigs slaughtered for meat. I have known homesteaders who remove the bristles from the slaughtered hog so they can process the skin into cracklings, so I just assumed this is how it is done the world over. I don't use fur brushes except sables I got 40 years ago.

They are quite brutal in their relationship to animals in China. I have seen films of them ripping skins off live coy dogs to use the fur on Ug boots and parkas. Still, it's hard for me to believe they rip them out of live hogs. A hog is not a sheep.

Here's an article about harvesting bristles in the Caribbean, also a low-tech area. They do it the same way as the homesteaders. Pig is slaughtered for meat and then the body is dipped in hot water so the bristles can be removed.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256773720_Pig_bristles_to_paint_brushes_an_agribusiness_opportunity

However, I also found an article about the harvest of boar bristles in 1880 in Europe, and in fact they were supposedly ripped out of living pigs. I'm not sure if that isn't apocryphal.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256773720_Pig_bristles_to_paint_brushes_an_agribusiness_opportunity

Nowadays in Europe, they harvest them from dead pigs. But they are not making paint brushes. This is for hair brushes, where the bristles can be much shorter. Paintbrush bristle is supposed to be long and that would mean the back of a pig. I can see how it would be possible for them to put a pig into a cage like they use for breeding in factory farms and rip it out that way.

I could not find any definitive answer for how hog bristle for paintbrushes as opposed to hair brushes is harvested. So I'm thinking it's pulled out. :( So I guess I will try synthetic bristle brushes next time I buy some.

If you are self-righteous about how it's okay to rip hair out of living animals and anyone who cares about it is a sissy, don't waste our time.

stapeliad
03-27-2019, 10:09 AM
PETA is an extremely extreme organization, even people who are even nuttier about animals than I am (and I LOVE animals) don't like them.

As far as I know hog bristles are a by-product... remember the old saying about hogs...everything is used except the squeal.

Now... mongoose brushes I believe are harvested from live animals and the fur is re-grown, re-harvested etc and i don't use mongoose because of this.

sound
03-27-2019, 10:21 AM
I have always thought it was from dead animals. I will look it up. I bought boar bristle paint and hair brushes specifically because I thought the bristles were harvested from pigs slaughtered for meat. I have known homesteaders who remove the bristles from the slaughtered hog so they can process the skin into cracklings, so I just assumed this is how it is done the world over. I don't use fur brushes except sables I got 40 years ago.

They are quite brutal in their relationship to animals in China. I have seen films of them ripping skins off live coy dogs to use the fur on Ug boots and parkas. Still, it's hard for me to believe they rip them out of live hogs. A hog is not a sheep.

Here's an article about harvesting bristles in the Caribbean, also a low-tech area. They do it the same way as the homesteaders. Pig is slaughtered for meat and then the body is dipped in hot water so the bristles can be removed.

However, I also found an article about the harvest of boar bristles in 1880 in Europe, and in fact they were supposedly ripped out of living pigs. I'm not sure if that isn't apocryphal.

Nowadays in Europe, they harvest them from dead pigs. But they are not making paint brushes. This is for hair brushes, where the bristles can be much shorter. Paintbrush bristle is supposed to be long and that would mean the back of a pig. I can see how it would be possible for them to put a pig into a cage like they use for breeding in factory farms and rip it out that way.

I could not find any definitive answer for how hog bristle for paintbrushes as opposed to hair brushes is harvested. So I'm thinking it's pulled out. :( So I guess I will try synthetic bristle brushes next time I buy some.

If you are self-righteous about how it's okay to rip hair out of living animals and anyone who cares about it is a sissy, don't waste our time.
Well even i thought it was a no brainer. Pigs are used for meat. So they would be slaughtered and then the hairs and hide will be taken out. So i was totally guilt free in a way. I dont use mongoose hair brushes for this very reason. They are harvested in a very cruel manner here in India. But now with this i dont know what to do. What the hell am i gonna paint with ? Why does people have to be so cruel. Its beyond belief. Plucking a living animal...this seriously breaks my heart. I hope this is not true

sound
03-27-2019, 10:46 AM
PETA is an extremely extreme organization, even people who are even nuttier about animals than I am (and I LOVE animals) don't like them.

As far as I know hog bristles are a by-product... remember the old saying about hogs...everything is used except the squeal.

Now... mongoose brushes I believe are harvested from live animals and the fur is re-grown, re-harvested etc and i don't use mongoose because of this.
Yes i have come to know that PETA often may resort to extreme shock and guilt trip people into giving up any thing and everything animal. So as soon as i read this about hog bristles, PETA alarm bells started ringing. Though i dont know it for sure.
And yes even i gave up using mongoose hair . Mongoose are hunted here in India and its hair is exported to Europe and USA. What i know is they dont pluck living animals. But they may not necessarily be dead either. So what they do is club them with a stick and then pluck its hair . So they are lucky if they die before the plucking process starts. Its now an endangered animal here in India and its illegal to hunt them. The problem is its always very hard to know what really happens in these trades.

Pinguino
03-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Job opening: Plucking hairs from live hogs. Pay is good, but turnover is very high. :lol:

Delofasht
03-27-2019, 01:05 PM
PETA is crazy, even worse is the fact that a large number of the animal abuse cases happen to be from their supporters. There were numerous raids on PETA supported shelters, in the past decade, in which animals were taken out of incredibly depressing living conditions. Every organization in which people are involved is likely to be corrupted in some way or another.

This is to say, “Could such terrible hair harvesting practices still be in use today?”. To which the answer is, possibly, but ultimately we can only really choose to believe such things or not. Here is something to consider though, plastic companies produce massive wastes, the likes of which have environmental impacts. Ultimately, if it is not one abuse it is another, the only way to avoid it is to source and make your own materials. So long as one is ever buying materials from a major company, you will have to wonder about the ethical production and manufacturing of them in a environmentally friendly manner.

sound
03-27-2019, 01:47 PM
This is to say, “Could such terrible hair harvesting practices still be in use today?”. To which the answer is, possibly, but ultimately we can only really choose to believe such things or not. Here is something to consider though, plastic companies produce massive wastes, the likes of which have environmental impacts. Ultimately, if it is not one abuse it is another, the only way to avoid it is to source and make your own materials. So long as one is ever buying materials from a major company, you will have to wonder about the ethical production and manufacturing of them in a environmentally friendly manner.
Yes plastics have their own environmental issues. And in the long may even be more harmful. But the practice in question here is simply barbaric! Yes, since we dont have enough details, we can choose to either believe it or ignore it. I am still opting for the latter. Simply because i dont find any practical reason of doing this and frankly i would like to believe in this era its just too barbaric to exist. Hopefully I find a quality brush company that is transparent about their supplies.

Antonin
03-27-2019, 02:13 PM

Get real.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2019/1976029-chesthair.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2019/1976029-236px-Chest_waxing_cropped.jpg

sound
03-28-2019, 01:35 AM
Get real.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2019/1976029-chesthair.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2019/1976029-236px-Chest_waxing_cropped.jpg
Will you please care to explain ?

Antonin
03-28-2019, 02:30 AM
Will you please care to explain ?
Human skin is thin, vulnerable and full of nerve endings. Pig’s back skin is thick and insensitive. Humans routinely submit to having the hair yanked off the most sensitive parts of their bodies. As long as the pig gets to stick it’s head in a feed trough at some point, I doubt that it’s going to be especially traumatized by having the long hairs on its back pulled out. Do you think that if a female pig’s back were especially sensitive it would be able to put up with the reproductive act? Is it traumatized by being scraped and bitten by sharp hooves, tusks and teeth when it's mounted by 250 lbs of pig?
In South America there are indigenous tribes that have rite of passage ceremonies where young girls' heads are plucked bare when they approach puberty. It seems to leave no lasting damage (physically or mentally), the women of the tribe, when asked why, say "it makes the hair grow thicker".

sound
03-28-2019, 06:01 AM
Human skin is thin, vulnerable and full of nerve endings. Pig’s back skin is thick and insensitive. Humans routinely submit to having the hair yanked off the most sensitive parts of their bodies. As long as the pig gets to stick it’s head in a feed trough at some point, I doubt that it’s going to be especially traumatized by having the long hairs on its back pulled out. Do you think that if a female pig’s back were especially sensitive it would be able to put up with the reproductive act? Is it traumatized by being scraped and bitten by sharp hooves, tusks and teeth when it's mounted by 250 lbs of pig?
In South America there are indigenous tribes that have rite of passage ceremonies where young girls' heads are plucked bare when they approach puberty. It seems to leave no lasting damage (physically or mentally), the women of the tribe, when asked why, say "it makes the hair grow thicker".
Thanks for the insight.

Harold Roth
03-28-2019, 11:33 AM
I suspect that the reason why there is no information on the web about how bristle is harvested in China is because it has been removed from search. Big US corporations do this when something happens that they don't like, and I am sure that China does it even more, because it's basically labor intensive. Which to me means that bristles are indeed harvested in a barbaric manner.

Ted Bunker
03-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Artists' brushes are made from the hair of art students. [/sarcasm]

"How do you get the Art School grad off your porch?
...Pay for the pizza." -ancient wisdom

sound
03-29-2019, 01:29 AM
I suspect that the reason why there is no information on the web about how bristle is harvested in China is because it has been removed from search. Big US corporations do this when something happens that they don't like, and I am sure that China does it even more, because it's basically labor intensive. Which to me means that bristles are indeed harvested in a barbaric manner.
I think thats just way too simplistic reasoning.

Ken W
03-29-2019, 11:29 AM
I can't speak for all the brush manufacturers, but I was privileged to have a tour of the DaVinci factory in Nuremberg and I can definitely tell you that the hog (an ox) bristles they use are from the ears of animals that were used in the meat industry.

I found it interesting that the brush factory had been founded in that location because of its proximity to Fuerth, which was a center of the fur trade, and it is in the middle of some very dense forest land, supplying wood for the handles, and on a river which made transportation of the product easy and efficient. Of course all this began in the 19th century or perhaps earlier...

Anyway, the parts used for brushes were parts that were a sort of otherwise not very valuable "by-product" of the fur and meat industries and, regardless of what one might feel about those businesses, the animals were not used solely for their value in brushmaking.

I don't know if this helps the discussion or not, but I hope it allays the fear that animals were tortured alive for the sake of our paintbrushes...

Harold Roth
03-29-2019, 11:39 AM
I can't speak for all the brush manufacturers, but I was privileged to have a tour of the DaVinci factory in Nuremberg and I can definitely tell you that the hog (an ox) bristles they use are from the ears of animals that were used in the meat industry.

I found it interesting that the brush factory had been founded in that location because of its proximity to Fuerth, which was a center of the fur trade, and it is in the middle of some very dense forest land, supplying wood for the handles, and on a river which made transportation of the product easy and efficient. Of course all this began in the 19th century or perhaps earlier...

Anyway, the parts used for brushes were parts that were a sort of otherwise not very valuable "by-product" of the fur and meat industries and, regardless of what one might feel about those businesses, the animals were not used solely for their value in brushmaking.

I don't know if this helps the discussion or not, but I hope it allays the fear that animals were tortured alive for the sake of our paintbrushes...
Thank you.

Harold Roth
03-29-2019, 11:41 AM
I think thats just way too simplistic reasoning.
Do you know how common it is to scrub search results? There are entire companies in the US who do just that.

p_nathan
04-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Particular hogs are used, specific hair, and specific preparation. You can buy hair for brushes off Alibaba. I got some hair from a regional hog farmer and am working on making a usable ultra thin brush. I'll post pics etc to the forum when it's done to my satisfaction.