PDA

View Full Version : incorportating drawing with my oil paintings

pslaplante1
03-24-2019, 06:04 PM
I enjoy drawing (inks, charcoals,pencil) and also oil painting...I would love some examples or ideas of bringing these two together!

WFMartin
03-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Other than creating a preliminary, charcoal sketch on my canvas, or panel, prior to applying oil paint, I really don't do much incorporating of drawing medium, and oil paint. I've felt for years that graphite is not something to employ as an under-drawing for oil paint, because it can have a tendency to "strike-through" years after the painting has been finished, because of the insidious nature of the graphite molecules.

I am well aware that other oil painters don't agree with my opinion on this. However, it was not my idea that graphite exhibits this characteristic, so I just figure .....why risk using it, when charcoal performs so well for this purpose. I don't believe in playing the percentages, I suppose.

HEY......I live in Glendale. You are my "neighbor". Right now, I have three paintings showing in the Celebration of Artists competition, at the West Valley Art Museum located in the City Hall of Peoria. Drop by and take a look at the show if you have the time.

sidbledsoe
03-24-2019, 10:20 PM
If you mean drawing as an art form then, I consider all painting to be drawing with a brush and oil paint, so I can't help with this one.
If you mean using ink or graphite drawings as a template for an oil painting, then I could dig up some examples. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19388069&postcount=29)

Delofasht
03-25-2019, 12:26 AM
An artist currently working in a method of combining both drawing tools with painting ones in a finished work is Cesar Santos. A quick google search will find him on YouTube where he has some excellent videos about his current body of very large pieces done with charcoal on clear gesso primed linen, then an isolation layer is applied, then he paints over the charcoal underdrawing but not everywhere. The result is a finished work that shows of loose charcoal lines in some areas, highly rendered charcoal in others, and various states of paint layers in areas all the way up to highly rendered oil paint covered areas.

There are other artists working like this as well, leaving their “preliminary” work showing through to the finished piece. Truth is though, they have done studies and practices to get even these rough looking marks to look nice in the finished work. It is a very difficult effect to achieve, Cesar happens to have a few interesting and unusual themes and approaches throughout his many works, of which I have only seen what he has been so kind as to share on his videos. I have seen sketchy drawings with painting showing through done digitally as well, literally scanned in images partially painted over, this is visually exciting with the power of digital providing some really fun effects that are extremely difficult or impossible to achieve traditionally (but are also restricted to being viewed digitally sometimes).

DebWDC
03-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Delo -
Thanks for telling us about Mr. Santos. His work is amazing! I love the drawing and painting combos. I had not heard of him before, so I am so glad you posted. Wow!
Deb

pslaplante1
03-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies! Cesar Santos is amazing (to quote Deb). I will be watching more of his youtubes.
Bill thanks for the info on the Peoria art show, I am looking forward to checking it out.