PDA

View Full Version : Painting on Polyester or Sailcloth

forrie
03-23-2019, 03:11 PM
This has been discussed before; but I want to poll others here and see if anyone has worked with these materials.

As a rule, I don't like canvas as it is "pixelated" (the cheap stuff, especially), though if a material were finely woven, that should not be an issue. Sailcloth, for example, is very "uniform" in its weave which may lend a bad appearance -- though I am looking for a source of finely woven nylon material.

Especially, I could see gluing this to a surface with modern archival glue (not rabbitskin!).

I'm curious if anyone here has experience working with these materials in oil painting and what your impressions are.

Dcam
03-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Portrait smooth linen canvas.

contumacious
03-24-2019, 09:23 PM
TAs a rule, I don't like canvas as it is "pixelated"

I prefer to control the textures in my paintings and I don't like the repeating mechanical pattern that canvas brings to the party. Unless you want a woven canvas texture, I would suggest that you don't go to the added work and expense of attaching canvas or fabric to the panel. Apply the desired ground directly to the panel be it Oil Ground, Acrylic Gesso or something else. The three rigid panels I like the best in the order of most liked listed first:

ACM Panels (aka Dibond - Aluminum Composite Panels
Tempered Hardboard
Baltic Birch Plywood

Search the web and WC for ways to prepare each of the panels above. There are lots of options.