PDA

View Full Version : How to seal oil painting with oil-based pencil too

Kreenz
03-22-2019, 01:14 PM
Hi all, I have a question.

I would like to use a creatcolor Nero pencil (oil-based charcoal, I believe) over my oil painting. However, I am concerned I may not be able to prevent the pencil from smudging when I varnish the painting afterwards.

I have tried painting both artistís retouch varnish and damar varnish over the pencil on a test sheet, and both cause the pencil to smudge when brushed over. So then I thought spray varnish might work.

Has anyone tried this?

I donít know if spray varnish (eg Windsor and Newton artistís varnish spray) would seal the pencil well, or whether I should use fixative on the pencil first. But that poses more questions - is it ok to spray fixative over the finished oil painting? If so, would it then be ok to spray varnish directly over the top of the fixative?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience they can share?

I could just experiment, but I would have to buy both the fixative and spray varnish, and I would rather have some idea as to whether they will work before doing so!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Pinguino
03-22-2019, 04:18 PM
I don't use colored oil pencil, but I do use transfer paper (generally known as "carbon paper") to trace outlines from paper to board (I use board, not canvas). It is my understanding that the transferred lines are somewhat similar to oil-based charcoal. Here is what I do, which you might try:

First, be aware that most varnishes contain a turpentine-like solvent that is very powerful. So, it is not surprising that the lines smudge, because they are being dissolved. A non-linking varnish, such as Gamvar, cannot be used for anything other than as top varnish, so that's out.

What I do is use an alkyd oil medium, thinned with a small touch of OMS (not turpentine). I brush it on with a very soft brush. When this transparent coating is dry, it seals the lines down. And, I don't have to worry about chemical compatibility with the paint that comes later.

Even the above method will smudge the lines, if I do not use a very soft brush.

Don't know about spray.

Antonin
03-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Hi all, I have a question.

I would like to use a creatcolor Nero pencil (oil-based charcoal, I believe) over my oil painting. However, I am concerned I may not be able to prevent the pencil from smudging when I varnish the painting afterwards.
Why not use oiled charcoal instead? You soak vine charcoal in linseed oil overnight, drain slightly on a paper towel and draw with it. This would dry normally like oil paint (probably slowly though because it's carbon based) and wouldn't be sensitive to varnishing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iz5iMZyOPM

If the oiled charcoal is too slow drying, you could try adding maybe 1/3 part Liquin or a couple drops of drier to the soaking linseed oil.

Antonin
03-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Or use something like an (oil) paint stick:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2019/1976029-01107_IvoryBlack_2253-m.jpg
https://www.dickblick.com/items/01107-2253/

Grimbo
03-23-2019, 07:26 AM
I don't know about the nero pencil but if I'm feeling cautious about a delicate surface then I tend to spray a layer over it with an airbrush. I've been spraying an oil/turps mixture over my oil paintings - oiling out' but in spray form.
This way the surface has sealing layer on it but there's no abrasion by the brush.
Food for thought.

contumacious
03-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that your oil based pencil will NEVER dry.

Pinguino
03-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Perhaps the OP, who has no other posts, would care to return with feedback?

contumacious
03-23-2019, 06:21 PM

Since when does a thread need a response from the OP to go on for dozens of comments, even for years into the future, here on WC? :angel: :cool:

(Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity. All in good fun, no offense intended towards anyone involved. You know it is true! I find that to be one of the charms of WC. The freedom to comment however you want as long as you aren't being mean or vulgar.)

Grimbo
03-27-2019, 06:15 AM

Funny, I was thinking the same about a few posts of late. Some forums I've been on now don't allow people to post until they've been contributing for a while. Don't think it's a bad idea. :-)

Pinguino
03-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Funny, I was thinking the same about a few posts of late. Some forums I've been on now don't allow people to post until they've been contributing for a while. Don't think it's a bad idea. :-)
I've noticed the occasional "drive by" new member here. Posts a question, sometimes several questions in different places, then never provides feedback.

Other forums, such as Stack Exchange, are specifically question/answer format. Newbie questions are the norm, but the software parses the question and intercepts those that have already been asked.