PDA

View Full Version : Slow drying oil mixture medium... Bad idea?

piston_pounder
03-21-2019, 11:27 PM
I have been wanting g a slower drying medium than just straight linseed oil so I ended up deciding on walnut oil. I'm trying to just use oil mediums.

Today I came across some Stand oil as well as clove oil. Relative didn't want them. So I was wondering, is it OK to mix walnut oil, stand oil, OMS for a slow drying medium? For super slow the clove could be added but that probably won't be necessary.

I read that you should just choose one oil medium and stick to it but I don't see why they can't be mixed... does the difference in drying time between the two oils create an issue as it cures?

Mhurocy
03-21-2019, 11:31 PM
Good question, Iím struggling with what to do with walnut oil as well, not confident enough to answer your question, so Iíll wait for a response with ya.

Miklos

JCannon
03-21-2019, 11:31 PM
Definitely don't use a slow-dry medium in a lower layer and then place a fast-dry layer atop it. Beyond that, I see no issue, especially if you're an all-in-one-go sort of artist.

Grimbo
03-24-2019, 07:36 AM
I don't see why mixing oils is gonna be a problem - given that the majority of tube paints are made from linseed and artists then add walnut or safflower
based mediums.
From my early experience most stand oils dry quite slow. However, I now use an expensive, thick stand oil that dries really fast - so you just need to make sure your lower layers are not slow drying.

C_Verdun
03-24-2019, 10:45 AM
I currently use walnut oil (and M. Graham oil paints) and sometimes a drop of clove oil (a powerful antioxidant, which is why it works) to delay drying to good effect.

However, when I am painting with any of the earth colors, I'm almost back to where I started - with the painting drying faster than I would like. Oh well.