PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Alkyd White

OziAfricana
03-07-2019, 04:17 AM
I have this free tube of W&N Griffin Alkyd Titanium White. It dries out so fast I can hardly use up paint mixed with it during one painting session before it is dry. It does say 'fast drying oil colour'. Is this really an oil or an acrylic? Is it meant to be used in an oil painting and mixed with normal oil paints?

Delofasht
03-07-2019, 04:30 AM
It is an oil paint, an alkyd modified version of the oil is used as the binder. They do dry extremely quick to the touch, meant for really fast painters in my opinion. Good for alla prima work, but as you noted, if one is a slower painter they can find them tacking up during a long painting session which feels bad. I personally found Alkyds to feel unpleasant under the brush, like the paint was dragging along the surface. I prefer a softer more gentle glide to the paint most of the time.

OziAfricana
03-07-2019, 04:41 AM
Thanks Delo. Maybe that's why they were given free for every six tubes of paint bought. I'll note and ensure to buy normal white paint next time.

contumacious
03-07-2019, 04:56 AM
Just add some Walnut Oil to it and you will end up with a slower drying and smoother brushing paint. You can also mix it with your slower drying whites if you don't want to thin it, but want to slow down the dry time.

I had a large old tube of this and it worked great mixed with various other whites I had on hand. I would often mix some flake white, titanium white and the Griffin in equal parts, plus some Walnut oil and never had any issues with it.

stapeliad
03-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Alkyd paint always dries really fast, usually within a day.
Liquin, Galkyd etc are alkyd mediums that also dry the paint.

I use an alkyd white for plein airing, but never in the studio.

Don't bother adding anything to the paint to slow down the drying. just keep it around and use it for re-using panels or something, and just get a regular white.

But keep it around, it has its uses.

OziAfricana
03-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Thanks so much Stapeliad and Contumacious for throwing light on this matter.

RomanB
03-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Alkyds are made from drying oils, but their main difference is that they contain other resin which polymerise in a different way than typical artist's oils. Usually drying agents are added to alkyd paints, otherwise they need more time to dry. You could add some primary Cobalt or Manganese siccatives with secondary mixture of Zirconium and Calcium siccatives to your oil paints to make them dry in a few hours. Such approach has its own problems, that's why most painters do not use siccatives nowadays.

WFMartin
03-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Griffin Fast Dry White:

Ah yes......it's a good thing that they give away that stuff, because I surely would not purchase it. I somehow got a tube of Gamblin's Fastmatte White in my posession, and I went through just about the same experience as you, because I didn't realize that it was an alkyd paint. And, yes,.....it dried nearly as fast as acrylic paint.

Like Griffin paint, it is an alkyd, and it dries like one, although Gamblin didn't even have the decency to indicate that it was an alkyd paint on the label. At first glance, it would seem advantageous to have an oil paint that "dries fast", but the downside is that it usually tacks up, and becomes "draggy" while you are working with it, such as on the palette. Although, once it has been applied to the canvas, it doesn't really seem to actually "dry" much faster than traditional oil paint.

This stuff becomes nearly impossible to use, because of that tendency to become sticky on the palette, making it unworkable for nearly anyone who is familiar with traditional oil paints.

Alkyd mediums behave the same way, and I always have difficulty understanding why anyone would appreciate such a characteristic in an oil paint.

And, yes.....I most certainly DO have an aversion to alkyd products. Call me nasty.:lol: However, judging by the comments of the original poster, so do others.:)

Pinguino
03-12-2019, 08:28 PM
I also got a free sample of Gamblin FastMatte White, some years ago. It was provided by the art store where I bought a certain amount of Gamblin products. Not sure if the promo was sponsored by Gamblin, or by the store.

In my case, I was aware that it was alkyd. Maybe I looked it up, instead of reading the label. In any case, didn't work for me, but I could see its potential as an alternative, for those who underpaint in acrylic.

Before I bought ordinary oil paints, I tried a few of W&N's Griffin alkyds. Positively did not work for me. I actually did use the paints for making joke signs on cardboard, which I gave away. Wasn't sure if the uncured paint could simply be discarded.

FastMatte and Griffin contain a certain amount of OMS. Since this component evaporates quickly, there is a noticeable handling difference as paint is applied. Might be less noticeable among those who regularly use some amount of solvent while painting.

On the other hand, Gamblin makes a Solvent-Free Fluid and a Solvent-Free Gel, which are alkyd-enhanced safflower oil. Apparently the level of alkyd is low, and is there to improve the paint film more than anything else. "Speeds up" the safflower oil, but not so much as to make the paint sticky or unusable. Some linseed-oil colors actually dry faster, depending on pigment. So, I do use these two mediums.

M. Graham's Walnut Alkyd medium has no solvent, but apparently contains enough alkyd to make it more like Galkyd or Liquin (more or less).

When I want oil paint to dry faster, which I usually do, I add siccative. The drying process is very different from alkyd: Ordinary oil with siccative will typically go from liquid to gel without much intermediate amount of stickiness.

stapeliad
03-13-2019, 07:06 AM
Just a friendly reminder that materials-bashing is not cool.
Different materials work for different people and they all have their uses, even if YOU might not personally like them.

Gigalot
03-13-2019, 09:41 AM
People can use many materials with a very poor result, while other can aplly any Alkyd with great success. Small amount of Alkyd addition can't make oil paint sticky! :eek:

Sketcher
03-16-2019, 05:32 AM
Just add a drop or two of linseed oil and mix it in really well. It will then dry faster than oil paint but slower than alkyd. It will also become less sticky and more slippery. Perfect!