PDA

View Full Version : Stabilo Carbothello Vs Faber-Castel Pitt pastel pencils

assortedlives
03-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Hello, trying to decide on a pastel pencil. I ordered a couple of the faber castel's to try and I really like how they handle. I heard Stabilo's are a bit softer and chalkier? This could be ok. But my real question is the color line. I am planning on getting a 36 pencil set and the color ranges look very different. In fact I'm starting to notice all the faber-castel line looks pretty weak in color, like 'pastel' tones (ha). Where as the Carbithello's look very bright. Has anyone else found this to be true?

kedwards
03-06-2019, 12:10 PM
I have a stabilo set that I’ve supplemented with a couple faber castels. The color selection in my Stabilos (60 pencil set) is excellent for bright as well as darks, so I didn’t really “need” to supplement, but I suffer from art supply collective obsessive disorder, ha ha

I would agree that the stabilos are softer, but I would not describe them as “chalky” in saturation nor crumbly. For my purpose (for use with pastels and charcoal), I find that the softer pencil works better. Both are quite nice, though, so I imagine you’ll make great art with whatever you get (and also, still probably want to buy more)

water girl
03-06-2019, 04:07 PM
I cannot choose. I use both. I know, that's not helpful. :lol: :lol: :lol:

assortedlives
03-08-2019, 01:20 AM
I ended up getting a set of 60 Stabilo's because they went on sale, only 5 dollars more than the set of 35 faber castel's, so the decision was made. The stabilo's are definitely softer (i have two faber castels i got two try). Lots of colors. happy happy