PDA

View Full Version : A room just for paintings? Help

axel9546
03-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Hi guys! I have my studio room and im planning to do a little 2x2 meters room, just to store painting and let the oil dry.
Should i get some precaution about flame risk?
I will use this little room that will be inside my studio with a separate wall and door so its completely apart, just when i finish a painting, i will put it there and also when i finish my work i will store my brushes and palette every day, ready for the next day use, so i will keep the room of my studio clean of odor and toxic stuff in th air.
It is Dangerous to put thoose paintings drawings in one room? I will provide a window to generate air in in this case, but i think there will be sun also but maybe i can use some special glass or Vinyl for glasses that would take the light down, but let air enter. Im afraid of hot sunny days when its 40celsius outside in the summer. I just hope the room will not burn and my paintings vanish ...

axel9546
03-05-2019, 06:02 PM
up

ntl
03-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Why not lean your work against the wall, face toward the wall, or hang it on the wall to dry? If it's on the wall, or left on an easel, you can see it when your mind is otherwise occupied, and maybe see areas that you want to adjust.

DAK723
03-06-2019, 07:50 AM
There is no flame risk for paint, painting supplies or a finished painting from room temperature - even a hot, sunny room. The risk for oil painters comes from storing oily rags. If you use rags or paper towels that get soaked in oil, you must take precautions so that they do not combust. Search the internet for more precise information, but in general, do not bunch up oily rags so that they trap the heat that they generate.

Don

axel9546
03-06-2019, 03:38 PM
There is no flame risk for paint, painting supplies or a finished painting from room temperature - even a hot, sunny room. The risk for oil painters comes from storing oily rags. If you use rags or paper towels that get soaked in oil, you must take precautions so that they do not combust. Search the internet for more precise information, but in general, do not bunch up oily rags so that they trap the heat that they generate.

Don
Oil rags what do u mean? I could just clean the brush from paint (and medium) with paper towels

Dcam
03-06-2019, 03:44 PM
The "Oily Rags" fire scenario is associated with non-saturated oils from vegetables & animal fats. For example, linseed oil.
These at normal room temperature & pressure will oxidize, producing heat. If you wrap up a bunch of linseed oil soaked rags tightly, not enough oxygen gets to them to create enough heating to ignite. If you leave them hanging on a clothesline, the heat is dissipated quickly and doesn't build up enough to ignite the rags. Loose packed rags -- loose enough to allow oxygen in, tight enough to insulate is the condition that's most dangerous.
The heat build up will carbonize the paper/cloth, and if the lower ignition temp created by the carbonization matches the temp being made by the oxidization...poof, very rapid oxidization (a fire) starts.

Yes paper towels are also a no-no. They get saturated with liquid just like rags.

axel9546
03-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Okay, so how should i do? After ive cleaned my brushes how do i store the paper towels dirty?

Dcam
03-06-2019, 06:04 PM
From Ben Sones:
the precautions needed to eliminate the risk are trivially simple Laying rags out to dry is a perfectly acceptable option, if you have the space to do it. You could also go to a hardware store or a Home Depot-type store and buy some empty gallon paint cans. Put some water in one, and throw your rags in there. Seal the top when you are done painting for the day. Another option--put your rags in gallon ziplock bags. At the end of the day, pour some water in the bag, squeeze out as much air as you can, and then seal it up and toss it.

If you are using a safe method to dispose of your rags, then there's no reason to worry about it.

axel9546
03-07-2019, 06:23 AM
Sorry im italian i tried to translate but i dont undersstand thr first method. Could you explain when u have time with more Easy words? Would be Amazing thanks for your support!