PDA

View Full Version : Full gloss enamels

Sketcher
03-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Hello all,

Recently I've been painting with Humbrol oil/alkyd based full gloss enamels. I love them!

They are so luscious. They flow like honey. Self leveling. Zero brush marks. Fast drying. They dry to a super gloss finish. They shine like wet paint! However, they have limited colors. 1shot enamels are similar.

I understand they are not archival and will yellow will age.

I have many tubes of oil paint and some dry pigments. Is there anything I can add to my oil paints that will turn regular oil paints (or dry pigments) into full gloss enamel?

I have tried stand oil/turps, stand oil/Venetian turpentine, liquin, and dammar varnish but can't get the same thickness and super gloss. Dammar varnish is the closest.

So what is the essential ingredient in full gloss enamel?

Regards
Pete

Gigalot
03-04-2019, 12:42 AM
Many artists use housepaint. Picasso, Pollack and many others used Ripolin.
Final Picture varnish also can improve gloss of painting.

tidal
03-04-2019, 10:47 AM
I have been thinking along the same lines myself recently due to wanting that lovely color but being sad about how you can't keep that with oils as it dry out over time the oil goes thus leaving darker lack lustre color..and with acrylic the polymer they pigment are held in is not condusive to good color and water evapourate then color darkens hell of a job to get same color on a patch you did a while back etc.Also on another side note not that this may be of interest but myself I had come to this conclusion of using enamels or alkyds as it not pourous like acrylic meaning you can sand between layers and the dust will not settle in your painting thus hindering color.Was thinking about using household emulsion and mixing stuff in ..be interested to hear anyone commenting on here about enamel if they know what it is made up of and can be explained in plain english ..hope you get answers fingers crossed

Sketcher
03-04-2019, 05:10 PM
I've done some more research and discovered that glossy enamels have alkyd varnish added to them.

Haëlé
03-06-2019, 04:39 AM
Bonjour,
I'm french and I just joined this wonderful website.
I wish to use enamel spray paint on a canvas.
Do you have some brands to recommend me. Do you know 'Monstercolors enamel spray paint'? It says that it can be applied on cavas (even so a canvas is not a had surface?!!?).
Thank you so much for your replies.
Bonne journée.

contumacious
03-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Have you tried adding Galkyd to your oils? From Gamblin:

When used in greater proportions with oil color, Galkyd will level brush-strokes, creating an enamel-like surface.

Gigalot
03-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Bonjour,
I'm french and I just joined this wonderful website.
I wish to use enamel spray paint on a canvas.
Do you have some brands to recommend me. Do you know 'Monstercolors enamel spray paint'? It says that it can be applied on cavas (even so a canvas is not a had surface?!!?).
Thank you so much for your replies.
Bonne journée.
I used BOSNY brand acrylic-epoxy sprays. They adhere very well and gives flexible films on top of oil paint surface.