PDA

View Full Version : Alkyd/Alkyd hybrid paints,Do they keep there color?

tidal
03-03-2019, 01:07 PM
I can feel the tumble weed aproaching as we speak I only hope people don't glaze over into a trance whilst reading this lol Just wondering in terms of color how they hold up ALkyds I know some say they still yellow.and I have heard regular oil paints can shift in color over years and not just the darkening and yellowing etc.Am particulaly iinterested in Alkyds at moment as they are an oil/enamel (unless i have it wrong?) but the oil should give a good color and the enamel part am interested in as I like to sand in between layers and painting onto wood as substrate and with sanding unfortunatley you get the slurry from wet sanding or the dust iether or settles into grain of wood and affects color (no tack cloth and wipeing with min spirits not enough only way is compressed air and who has time for that)Alkyds are non pourous and so you do not get dust of any kind settling into pours.Anyway anyone with any info much appreciated in your experiences

Gigalot
03-03-2019, 02:11 PM
For me alkyds and oils are equaL. I can't see the difference between two on my pantings :confused:

contumacious
03-03-2019, 05:20 PM
I find that though alkyd mediums are often darker or more yellow than plain, refined linseed oil for example, they tend to stay the same color that they were when applied as they cure over time. Linseed and other drying oils with no alkyd in them, from my experience tend to change color over time.

tidal
03-04-2019, 10:42 AM
yes had read that from researching them last year I think it is personal choice then myself I'd rather see what I'm going to end up with down the line rather than see beautiful color and then be totally gutted at the change in color later.