PDA

View Full Version : Brushes for portraiture

axel9546
03-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Hi guys!
Do you advice me classical portrait painting brushes at a good price? Are da vinci black sable good? Ivw bought rosemary brushes set of 7 some mixed hair but i dont like it. I mean they are really good, but i think i need to tey another thing. I paint more in shapes and values but when i do full renderings i polish the lightning.

Delofasht
03-01-2019, 01:49 PM
If you paint directly and do not want brush strokes then Sable or Synethic variants that are like it are quite good. I do not find them especially necessary though, and they can be quite expensive. Also, if you are doing many strokes with them they will wear out faster than similar length hog bristle brushes.

In short, advice on this topic is going to be unfair, because what I like and need in a brush is very different than what you do. I suggest buying one or two of each kind of hair brush you are looking for, experiment with it. Most important though is doing a lot of paintings until you know what you like or do not like.

For myself, after testing many different kinds of brushes, I have found I like hog hair brushes the most for oil painting... but it syncs up with the way I have grown to use a brush. Different people need different things. Sorry I cannot be more helpful here.

axel9546
03-01-2019, 02:00 PM
If you paint directly and do not want brush strokes then Sable or Synethic variants that are like it are quite good. I do not find them especially necessary though, and they can be quite expensive. Also, if you are doing many strokes with them they will wear out faster than similar length hog bristle brushes.

In short, advice on this topic is going to be unfair, because what I like and need in a brush is very different than what you do. I suggest buying one or two of each kind of hair brush you are looking for, experiment with it. Most important though is doing a lot of paintings until you know what you like or do not like.

For myself, after testing many different kinds of brushes, I have found I like hog hair brushes the most for oil painting... but it syncs up with the way I have grown to use a brush. Different people need different things. Sorry I cannot be more helpful here.
You were so helpful!! Thanks

RomanB
03-01-2019, 02:06 PM
W&N Series 7 sable brushes (http://www.winsornewton.com/row/shop/brushes/water-colour/series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes) are good, especially the most minuscule ones. Roubloff 301T Master (https://www.roubloff.ru/en/product/457) are nice, I prefer them.