PDA

View Full Version : Monthly P&I challenge: March

Charlie's Mum
03-01-2019, 07:55 AM
Welcome to our forum challenge for March 2019 in which we continue our encouragement to Draw from Life!

Let's capture our own personal and individual moments and share them here on this thread!

All suggestions/subjects/themes come from those who participate!:lol:

** As you post your own drawing in this thread, please then also suggest ONE subject/topic for next month. One entry = One suggestion for the following month .... another entry? - another suggestion!:)

By the end of the month we should have a range of ideas from which you can choose – and please do feel free to discuss any of the suggestions raised: who knows, you may even start keeping your own private list for future ideas!**

One important rule -Entries must be at least 75% pen and ink in any colour - and wash or colour may be added.

Your topics for this month are .....

Patterns in nature

a radio

something you were about to throw away

shoes

what travel means to you

decadent

stuffed animal

the oldest item in the room

Payne's Grey
03-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Quick sketch of a table radio made by Bendix Aviation in the mid '40s (I used to work for Bendix in the '80s-'90s). This little guy belonged to my Mother-in-law and it still works fine and sounds great!
Approx. 5x8" on HP watercolor paper. Uni-Ball pens with a bit of help from a carbon ink wash and a Pentel brush pen.

Next month: Favorite artist's tool

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2019/2120925-Bendix_Radio.JPG

laika
03-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Nice piece to get the ball rolling for March! From those highlights, I'm getting an impression of shiny Bakelite - am I correct?

Payne's Grey
03-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Yes sir Lamar, dark brown bakelite.

Potterspink
03-03-2019, 04:46 AM
Ah, if I could get my washes as smooth as that I'd be a happy bunny. Nice one John.
Potters

Triduana
03-03-2019, 06:01 AM
John I just love that radio :)

Charlie's Mum
03-03-2019, 07:14 AM
John, that's an impressive portrayal of the material as well as a good drawing of the radio.

Scene Chaser
03-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Nice one, John. They made things to last back then.
Bill

Payne's Grey
03-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Bill! Nothing like the warm glow of tubes when you turn on a radio! ;-)

Potterspink
03-05-2019, 12:07 PM
For patterns in nature I've drawn three shells from my small shell collection. I've used a uni pen 0.1, Noodlers black ink and Winsor and Newton Peat Brown Ink. At least they couldn't be taken off to be used for tea like my last month's tomatoes were. My suggestion for next month is bags of any discription.
Potters

Payne's Grey
03-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Nice, Potters! :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
03-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Very nice shells Potters.:)

Charlie's Mum
03-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Suggestions for next month -

Favourite artist's tool

Bags - of any description

a sign of Spring

laika
03-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Very nice, Potters! That would look good in a frame.

What sort of pen is your uni?

Potterspink
03-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Thanks John and Maureen I'm really enjoying trying the subjects suggested, there are some good topics to get stuck into.
Potters

Potterspink
03-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Thank Lamar, it is a uni pin fine line water and fade proof pigment ink pen made by Mitsubishi Pencil co. It's just the standard disposable type, my local book shop tempts me with them every time I go in😊
Potters

artastic
03-07-2019, 09:34 AM
the oldest thing in the room (besides my husband) is this little lamp I got from my dad, and surrounding it, the textures of nature

9x12 sketchbookhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2019/104250-scan_1.jpg

Potterspink
03-07-2019, 10:03 AM
A very character lamp Bonnie, I like the way you've surrounded it with different flora.
Potters

Payne's Grey
03-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Bonnie, I love those old oil lamps and that's a nice rendering of one.

Charlie's Mum
03-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Pretty old lamp Bonnie - and we can see how it works too ... do you ever use it?
Good idea to add the Nature patterns.

Suggestion for next month?:)too

laika
03-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Very nice, Bonnie! My mom gave me something similar, which I might attempt before the month is out now that you've given me the idea :) And I like the way you worked in a second subject from the list.

laika
03-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Potters! I read your post as a Uni pen with Noodler's black and wondered if you'd found a way to use those together. On a second reading, I see that's not exactly what you wrote.

Payne's Grey
03-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Here's a battery powered pencil sharpener I was given about 15 years ago when most of my drawings were in pencil. It doesn't have enough torque to work and never sharpened one pencil, but had me waste a lot of batteries trying. I suppose it's safe now to throw it out and not insult the giver... Besides, I'm happy with a pencil sharpened with a penknife and sandpaper. :thumbsup:

For April: Draw something hanging on your wall.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2019/2120925-PencilSharpener_2.JPG

Charlie's Mum
03-08-2019, 04:56 AM
Lovely drawing of a useless object John!!!:lol: ..... absolutely agree about these items - and I was brought up never to use them for drawing pencils but, like you, use knife and sandpaper!
Nice clear lines and tonal contrast - good pencil markings!:)

Potterspink
03-08-2019, 10:27 AM
I've always wondered about that type of pencil sharpner, now I know to keep my money in my pocket. Super rendition of the pencil, I feel like I could reach out and pick it up.
Potters

artastic
03-08-2019, 01:49 PM
I love my pencil sharpener potters it has been going for years, great drawing though

forgot to add a subject for next month?:
a sign of spring (inspired by the fact we saw our first robin today after over a month of -30C)

Payne's Grey
03-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Thanks Potters & Bonnie.

Bonnie, is your sharpener like that one? Maybe all I need to do is oil it or something and re-gift it to someone! ;-)

pedlars pen
03-08-2019, 06:56 PM
I'm happy with a pencil sharpened with a penknife and sandpaper.
Nice drawing, just look at that painstaking work on the printing on the pencil :eek: ! that looks like it took a while.
& YES - a penknife is definitely the best way to sharpen a pencil , all those little facets offer a clean lined sharp edge for ages longer than any mechanical sharpening device.
Mike

Payne's Grey
03-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Thanks, Mike! :wave:

laika
03-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Nice work in every respect, John!

To my eye, this is another case of everyday items and tools taking on strange qualities when drawn in isolation. Your pencil sharpener looks like some surreal something from a de Chirico painting.

Payne's Grey
03-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Nice work in every respect, John!

To my eye, this is another case of everyday items and tools taking on strange qualities when drawn in isolation. Your pencil sharpener looks like some surreal something from a de Chirico painting.

Thanks, Lamar. I had to google de Chirico. He did some weird and really cool stuff with all those Italian piazzos. He was buddies with Nietzsche, so I suppose surrealism fits him well!

pedlars pen
03-10-2019, 07:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2019/1267204-_Shoes.jpg

Here is my attempt at shoes, I haven't much experience at wash so lets call it "muddy boots" ! :o :lol:

Mike
For next month - Furniture

Charlie's Mum
03-10-2019, 08:37 AM
I think you've described those boots pretty well Mike - well-worn and comfy?
I like the way you've portrayed the various textures - nice!:)

Payne's Grey
03-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Mike, they look very comfortable, similar to my well broken in, everyday Merrell hiking shoes which are a pleasure to wear! :thumbsup:

I've found ink wash painting personally very difficult, and I think it would take quite a bit of time and dedicated practice to get competent in painting nice smooth tones. Experience with watercolor helps, but ink is much more unforgiving.

The paper makes a difference too. I've tried hot press watercolor paper and bristol. It seems to me that bristol is a bit easier to use, as the ink wash doesn't dry as fast so you have a bit more time to spread it around before the hard edges dry.

I've found to get a graduated wash, it's best to do it in layers. I've taken guidance from the urban sketcher, Steve Reddy's method of mixing two densities of wash with waterproof ink, one about 25% and one about 75%. (Google Steve Reddy ink wash) Then, working from light to dark, you can build up the necessary values, letting the ink dry after each application. Steve works up a shadow area using layers of the mixes to build up the necessary graduation. He also uses hatching and cross hatching to make a washed area darker.

The biggest problem I have is keeping a layer of ink wet enough in an area so drying doesn't leave edges all over the place before I'm done filling it in.

To soften an edge or feather it out, I swish my brush in clear water and touch it into the edge of the wash before it dries and pull it out a bit, but as in watercolors, you have to have your brush a touch dryer than the wash, or you'll end up with blooming. Anyway, as you add additional washes to darken the area, you can use water to smooth each layer of the transitions to look natural.

I've thought it may be easier to do washes like this with an ink that isn't waterproof as you might be able to smooth edges and blobs even after it dries. I don't have any non-waterproof ink handy, but I might try that one day.

Anyway, good job! It's nice to see you using a pen with hairs on the end of it! :lol:

pedlars pen
03-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Thanks Maureen & John, yes if they look well worn, broken in & comfy then I must have captured one thing at least !
I'm colour blind John so have no experience of painting at all but am pleased to hear of other folk who do have experience also have a struggle with ink washes.It seems like I would have had to plan very carefully to get any indication of light into it, defeating the point of quick sketching to me.
Usually I do a ready mix in a water pen OR just bleed it straight from a pen line. Really I should have used waterproof ink for this one but I had already started in a fountain pen line line & only decided to go with wash as thinking of a good texture for suede type leather stumped me !
Recently I found a really good HP. water colour paper that is hard, well sized & favours the use of a pen whereas even Arches & the like do not.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435791

Cheers Mike

laika
03-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Nice work on the boots, Mike! Good job of capturing the sense of different materials and textures. The wash is very effective too, imho - a perfectly smooth wash would look out of place on a well-travelled pair of boots.

laika
03-10-2019, 06:38 PM
've taken guidance from the urban sketcher, Steve Reddy's method of mixing two densities of wash with waterproof ink, one about 25% and one about 75%. (Google Steve Reddy ink wash) Then, working from light to dark, you can build up the necessary values, letting the ink dry after each application. Steve works up a shadow area using layers of the mixes to build up the necessary graduation. He also uses hatching and cross hatching to make a washed area darker.

That sounds like a good method. I keep looking for the perfect gray ink, but my absolute favorite (fountain pen ink) is apparently not light-fast. I guess the obvious thing to do would be to dilute a favorite black ink with distilled water along the lines of what you mentioned. I will check out Steve Reddy.

laika
03-10-2019, 06:53 PM
I had to google de Chirico. He did some weird and really cool stuff with all those Italian piazzos.

John, in my imagination :), your pencil sharpener could be dropped right in to something like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2019/80957-de-chirico-muse.jpg

Payne's Grey
03-10-2019, 07:27 PM
... I guess the obvious thing to do would be to dilute a favorite black ink with distilled water along the lines of what you mentioned. I will check out Steve Reddy.

Definitely distilled water, Lamar. I used tap water at first and it turned mushy in the bottom of the jar in just a few days! :eek: After getting distilled water, I also dropped a small stainless steel nut into each of the small jars I mixed just in case it needs stirred later on.

A good place to start to check out Steve's washes and technique is on his blog: http://stevenreddy.com/blog

About the pencil sharpener, I took it apart this morning. After a spring and a few other parts, including a little plastic gear sprung out of the case, I gathered it all up and dumped it in the trash can... :lol:

pedlars pen
03-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Nice work on the boots, Mike! Good job of capturing the sense of different materials and textures. The wash is very effective too, imho - a perfectly smooth wash would look out of place on a well-travelled pair of boots.

Thanks Lamar,OK,I got away with it this time but some control would be nice ! we can't rely on happy accidents all the time :lol:
I've just got a new pen to try out so I think I'll give those boots another quick try tomorrow.
Mike

Potterspink
03-11-2019, 07:40 AM
I like your boots Mike, the texture of the material inners and the changes of plane you've achieved work really well.
I had to Google de Chirico as well John, he did some striking work. As you recommended I've tried the Steve Reddy method and I'm hopeful for improvement, I didn't use distilled water though and yes my mixture turned mushy as well.
I'm learning a lot from this forum not only from the advice given but also seeing how different artists create their ink drawing so thanks to all. The only thing is I've succumbed to the urge and ordered Steve Reddy's book and I've seen some lovely coloured ink, Ah well, never mind😁

Nterjosh
03-11-2019, 10:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2019/973432-Zebra.jpg

My daughter picked a zebra for my patterns in nature. Quick sketch with a uni-ball pen on 8.5x11 sketchbook.

Fire for next month.

Payne's Grey
03-11-2019, 11:52 AM
... I've succumbed to the urge and ordered Steve Reddy's book and I've seen some lovely coloured ink, Ah well, never mind😁

I think you'll like Steve's urban sketching book. Can't ever have too many books!

Charlie's Mum
03-11-2019, 12:16 PM

Favourite artist's tool

a sign of Spring

fire

Draw something hanging on your wall.

Charlie's Mum
03-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Challenging line work for the zebra - but they are great animals to draw with the pen!

Payne's Grey
03-11-2019, 01:06 PM
You missed one for next month, Maureen:

Draw something hanging on your wall.

pedlars pen
03-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks Potterspink :)
Sorry folks , rather boringly I have drawn the same boot again ! but left out the wash this time in favour of a stippley type technique.
I got up early today to give a new pen a try out - a "Pentel brush sign pen" (NOT their normal "sign" pen), the variety of line widths & marks it can make look promising & after using it just this once I am just starting to understand how it likes to be treated.These are intended for calligraphy but I'm giving one a try because although I admire brush drawings I find that a hair brush just too lacking in touch feedback, these have a felt tip brush which is the best yet of this type of pen that I've used for my personal requirements. Plus they're only £2 each :thumbsup: As well as the black they do a number of colours in it too, most of then are a gaudy neon sort of thing but when a get a minute I will try out a yellow ochre one which I thought might be an interesting colour -we'll see.
Mike PS. for next month - an ornament or sculpture we have in our house.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2019/1267204-_boot_2.jpg

Potterspink
03-12-2019, 08:03 AM
I like your mark variation on this one Mike.
I'm attaching my pebble drawing for another 'patterns in nature ' attempt.
Suggestion for next month - gardening accessories
Potters

pedlars pen
03-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Cheers Potters pink, you've managed to capture the weight of your pebble.
gardening accessories for next month ? - I've got an idea already!
Mike

Payne's Grey
03-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Nice 3-dimensional effect with the wash, Potters!

laika
03-13-2019, 12:04 AM
I can see that variation in width of individual lines on your latest boot, Mike. I saw one of those Pentel sign brush pens the other day, but had no idea what it was. It was in a sealed package, so no way to try it. Anyway, good job on the boot! Nice variety of line and the stippling looks great too. Well done!

Nice work on the pebble, Potters! The light peat wash works well with the sepia.

(Hmmm... pebble, Potters, peat... I feel like a blew an opportunity for some nice alliteration there.)

pedlars pen
03-13-2019, 05:54 AM
Thanks Lamar, yes try one of those sign brushes they're cheap enough. Be aware though, although they are easier than a real brush to use they still need a delicate touch.
Sometimes I find a new pen can open up a whole range of different new approaches & be inspiring , for me this one definitely comes into that category - given the right subject matter that is.
Mike

rosta
03-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Mike - I love the variations in texture in your picture. Nice hatching.

Potters - great 3D effect, nicely drawn.

Payne's Grey
03-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Mike:
Nice consistent stippling on the shoe. I can see you're a patient man!
I particularly like the crosshatch-patterned stippling on the top piece of the shoe. That's a nice variation.

pedlars pen
03-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Thanks Ron & John, no John I'm not especially patient & further I very rarely use stippling but it was the only technique to use to suggest suede.However these pens give a very wet line (just like the brush they're trying to approximate) so you can move really fast & broad if you like.
Anyway no more boots or shoes for a while, I promise - I'm sick of them now ! :lol:
Mike

Potterspink
03-14-2019, 04:03 PM
I know what you mean about stippling, I'm surprised no ones selling a "music to stipple to" CD. I find it very difficult to concentrated for long before drifting off😊
Potters

Charlie's Mum
03-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Favourite artist's tool

a sign of Spring

fire

Draw something hanging on your wall

an ornament or sculpture we have in our house.

Garden accessories.

Charlie's Mum
03-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Thanks John - the missed one is duly added!:)

Mike - amazed at you using so much stipple!:lol:
Lovely variety of marks in this though - all those textures! Good form to the boot.

Ah - Potter's Peaty Pebble (I saw the chance too Lamar!:lol:) - lovely 3dimensional work on that - a pretty pebble sitting in the sun!

Potters - I have a CD of 'Tai chi' music which would fit the bill for stippling!:)

Payne's Grey
03-14-2019, 04:52 PM
I think maybe the Typewriter Concerto is fitting for stippling music. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jinGW7ZDGPM

artastic
03-14-2019, 05:28 PM
hilarious John, perfect for stippling

laika
03-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Ah - Potter's Peaty Pebble (I saw the chance too Lamar!:lol:) - lovely 3dimensional work on that - a pretty pebble sitting in the sun.

You nailed it and then some, Maureen :)

Potterspink
03-15-2019, 10:18 AM
I think maybe the Typewriter Concerto is fitting for stippling music. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jinGW7ZDGPM
Just watched it John, great stuff, it really brightened my morning. Thanks
Potters

Grinningbudgie
03-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Hey all here is my attempt at the challenge. I decided to draw a stuffed animal I kept from my childhood. It's Foofur!

I probably went overboard with the texture. I'm still learning and experimenting. I will suggest some type of hair grooming tool for next month. :wave:

Uni-ball vision fine on Strathmore smooth bristol.

Potterspink
03-17-2019, 06:47 AM
He looks so sweet, you've really managed to catch his floppines Amy.
Potters

Payne's Grey
03-17-2019, 08:21 AM
That's one cute puppy, Amy. I like that skinny little collar and droopy eyes! Maybe a touch more shadowing and highlights would enhance the texture, but it is definitely believable. I like it.

Grinningbudgie
03-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback. I struggle with both shadows and highlights on all my drawings but I'll keep at it until it's as natural as breathing. (I hope.) :)

Charlie's Mum
03-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Aww -it's adorable .... texture is good but yes, a little less of it on the lighter areas would allow greater depth for contrast in the darker ones.

An idea/tip - perhaps do a very quick, rough , small sketch just to indicate tonal areas and use that as a guide when doing the pen work.:)

Nterjosh
03-18-2019, 11:54 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2019/973432-Tiger-Face.jpg

Bic ballpoint pen on 5.5x9.5 sketchbook. The tiger is a little trickier than the zebra in showing the patterns.

Charlie's Mum
03-19-2019, 06:29 AM
Lol! ... now there's a grumpy looking tiger - I wonder if you had woken him from his nap?!!!!! :lol: :lol:

pedlars pen
03-22-2019, 10:59 AM
For the natural patterns topic this month, this is a pine cone done with a Pentel touch sign brush pen in yellow ocre colour. Hmm... these are my favourite sketch pens of the moment after only having them a week or so!
Very fast,very expressive,very inexpensive but most of all they live up to their name ,they have a lovely "touch" to them in use . :thumbsup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2019/1267204-_Pine_cone.jpg

For next month's subjects - "discarded clothes" , interpret it as you wish ! :wink2: but perhaps rather unimaginatively I had in mind drawing a still life of the folds & creases, the lighting etc.
Mike

Charlie's Mum
03-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Very controlled Mike - lovely drawing! ...... I can't get away with brush pens - strange, when I use brushes!!!:lol:

Charlie's Mum
03-22-2019, 11:41 AM

Favourite artist's tool

a sign of Spring

fire

Garden accessories.

Some type of hair grooming tool

"discarded clothes" , interpret it as you wish ! but perhaps rather unimaginatively I had in mind drawing a still life of the folds & creases, the lighting etc.

Payne's Grey
03-22-2019, 12:52 PM
For the natural patterns topic this month, this is a pine cone done with a Pentel touch sign brush pen in yellow ocre colour. Hmm... these are my favourite sketch pens of the moment after only having them a week or so!
Very fast,very expressive,very inexpensive but most of all they live up to their name ,they have a lovely "touch" to them in use . :thumbsup:

Very nice, Mike. Those are felt tip pens, right? I have, and like, Pentel's brush pen with waterproof black ink. It's great for filling in large areas, but I have mucho trouble trying to draw with it even though it holds a very fine point.

pedlars pen
03-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Very nice, Mike. Those are felt tip pens, right? I have, and like, Pentel's brush pen with waterproof black ink. It's great for filling in large areas, but I have mucho trouble trying to draw with it even though it holds a very fine point.

Very controlled Mike - lovely drawing! ...... I can't get away with brush pens - strange, when I use brushes!!!:lol:

Thanks John & Maureen :) EXACTLY! - I can't draw with a brush pen either !:lol:
Not at all with a one with nylon bristles & have been disappointed with a the front runners of the felt tip type too (either too thick or too soft a line or not enough variation in width of line.
BUT with this type miraculously I can :confused: Yes John it is a felt or polymer type tip designed for copperplate/Spencerian type of writing & is especially recommended for beginners at that. It is a totally different beast from the Pentel brush pen you mention.
I have long marveled at the sheer range of marks that only a brush pen can give in drawings but until now it wasn't available to me , like the Bogart line in Casablanca -“Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” :lol:
Mike

laika
03-22-2019, 11:40 PM
Nice work on the pine cone, Mike! It also looks like some sort of armor-plated creature with a long snout from the angle you chose. Interesting and well done!

You've piqued my curiosity regarding those brush pens. Maybe I'll get by the local art supply soon...

edit:

Found the pine cone creature. A pangolin:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2019/80957-Fotolia_50569834_L.jpg

laika
03-22-2019, 11:55 PM
The tiger lends itself to your style of drawing, Nterjosh. Nicely done!

RoadLessTaken
03-23-2019, 01:06 AM
That sounds like a good method. I keep looking for the perfect gray ink, but my absolute favorite (fountain pen ink) is apparently not light-fast. I guess the obvious thing to do would be to dilute a favorite black ink with distilled water along the lines of what you mentioned. I will check out Steve Reddy.

I wonder, and I may try it this weekend, what would happen if we diluted black ink with some acrylic medium. Water can thin color away altogether but I'm thinking about how the clear polymers in the acrylic medium may bond to the ink too allow more light in between the ink molecules without harming the integrity of the ink.

Do you think India ink? I have loads of inks and can experiment.

My parents were very convinced that I ought not go into the sciences or maths and I should be a 4th grade teacher. (I didn't do either) but I can see so many more applications for science and math than I can for 4 grade students!

Sheila

pedlars pen
03-23-2019, 05:18 AM
Thanks Lamar, I found your pine cone creature far too far fetched & unbelievable I'm afraid !
Mike

Potterspink
03-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Great pine cone Mike, good colour too, I can't control the pental pocket brush very well but these look interesting.
I don't have a big supply of different black inks (three actually)but I find that when I dilute them they go to a very warm brown grey, not the cool grey I'm looking for, I'm thinking of getting some deep blue ink to mix with the black instead of buying more black, has any one tried it?
Potters

laika
03-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Thanks Lamar, I found your pine cone creature far too far fetched & unbelievable I'm afraid !
Mike

I'm afaid i let my imagination and impulsivity run away sometimes :(

Forgetting the critter, the layered, over-lapping forms of the pine cone were an excellent choice for the patterns in nature theme, and the drawing is well done :)

laika
03-23-2019, 11:39 AM
I wonder, and I may try it this weekend, what would happen if we diluted black ink with some acrylic medium. Water can thin color away altogether but I'm thinking about how the clear polymers in the acrylic medium may bond to the ink too allow more light in between the ink molecules without harming the integrity of the ink.

I don't see why a thin acrylic medium like airbrush medim or liquid glaze medium wouldn't work. Unless the binder in the India ink reacted adversely with the acrylics, you'd be essentially making an acrylic ink, no?

pedlars pen
03-23-2019, 12:35 PM
Great pine cone Mike, good colour too, I can't control the pental pocket brush very well but these look interesting.
I don't have a big supply of different black inks (three actually)but I find that when I dilute them they go to a very warm brown grey, not the cool grey I'm looking for, I'm thinking of getting some deep blue ink to mix with the black instead of buying more black, has any one tried it?
Potters

Thanks Potters, no I can't control the pocket brush either !
Re-black ink - I assume you are talking fountain pen ink. Mixing various makes of fountain pen inks very often leads to disappointment because they will flow differently, even using inks of the same brand but a different colour can be tricky,either not mixing or giving a very surprising hue.It is best to find a black which you like & stick to it.
Diluting black ink to get a grey wash,what could be simpler you might think - Wrong !
It's a bit easier to talk brand specific as we are both in the UK.
So I'll mention a few brands & their properties.
One of the first considerations with black fountain pen ink is when you hold it up alongside another black ink in comparison the depth of the blackness is very variable , with the majority of them you will say - "WOW! that's really rather grey really" :eek: & that is BEFORE you have diluted it!
So here are some good dark blacks - "Manuscript" is a very good black - but NEVER dilute it at all ,because it will separate into a very visible rainbow of green & blue ,purple etc.
"Pelican 4001"a decent darkish black which washes OK to a neutral grey & lasts reasonably well under light. (Many blacks will disappear entirely after 1 month in a sunny window!)
Diamine inks do a range of blacks & they are intermixable https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/DM28425/diamine-ink-30ml-bottle you Will find your colour using these even if you are fussy !
But for wash work "Pelikan Fount India fountain pen drawing ink." is my favourite - https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PK02709/pelikan-fount-india-fountain-pen-drawing-ink
This is carbon based ink but is not waterproof ,You can do a drawing with it & take your wash from the drawn lines , it leaves a good strong black line & the wash part too.OR you can dilute it too to make a bigger wetter wash.The wash is a neutral colour. It is a permanent ink too. Don't leave it lying around in a pen unused for too long though, it will clog it up!
Mike

pedlars pen
03-23-2019, 02:46 PM
I'm afaid i let my imagination and impulsivity run away sometimes :(

Forgetting the critter, the layered, over-lapping forms of the pine cone were an excellent choice for the patterns in nature theme, and the drawing is well done :)
Thanks Lakia for your kind comments about my drawing, & my comment was a British sense of humour ! meaning that the Pangolin must be a drawing & does look far too far fetched to be believable !
imagination and impulsivity running away with you is a definite virtue for an artist :)
Mike

pedlars pen
03-23-2019, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTaken

I don't see why a thin acrylic medium like airbrush medim or liquid glaze medium wouldn't work. Unless the binder in the India ink reacted adversely with the acrylics, you'd be essentially making an acrylic ink, no?

I may have got the wrong end of the stick here but I took your conversation to be about fountain pen ink :eek: I hope not.
NEVER put proper indian ink into a fountain pen because the shellac base will clog the pen up & kill it !
Also
NEVER put acrylic ink into a fountain pen because it will kill it stone dead too! blocking up the fine feed.
Only ever use ink designed for use with a fountain pen in a fountain pen.
Even if you put pure water into a fountain pen it will not perform as it was designed because the surface tension of the ink is lower than water so the feed will be faulty.
Sure go ahead & experiment with home made inks of ANY kind at all & have fun BUT use a dip pen to apply the ink.
Cheers Mike

Potterspink
03-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Mike thank you so much, that information it's a real help. I've made a note of the inks and I'm off to the cult pen web site.
Potters

laika
03-23-2019, 06:37 PM
I assumed that we were reaching back to the discussion of ink washes with brush when Sheila quoted the mention of Steve Reddy in my reply to John/Paynes'e Grey. I found Steve Reddy's method for pre-mixed washes (http://stevenreddy.com/blog/137281/preparing-ink-washes-for-home-and-travel) to be a good illustration of how to go about it using a particular ink. I think that the link is worth a look and possibly a sticky, and I'm glad that John shared the info.

But Mike is absolutely correct that acrylic ink would ruin a fountain pen. For washes with a brush, however, I think a thin acrylic medium (think air brush medium) might be worth experimenting with if Shelia is so inclined. In fact, I might try it myself :)

laika
03-23-2019, 07:00 PM
...my comment was a British sense of humour ! meaning that the Pangolin must be a drawing & does look far too far fetched to be believable !

Ah, It certainly is an unlikely looking critter! See, I totally missed the humor; I hate to mention having had a stroke again, but I think that scrambling of my brain is still causing me to miss out on some of the subtleties of conversation.

What's the old King Crimson song say, "Confusion will be my my epitaph?" Maybe I should update my signature line :eek:

Payne's Grey
03-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Lamar, you beat me to it! I was going to recommend Rapidograph India ink diluted with distilled water for a neutral gray. However, I would not use it in a fountain pen, and would, as Mike suggested, use it with a dip pen (or brush).

pedlars pen
03-23-2019, 07:20 PM
What's the old King Crimson song say, "Confusion will be my my epitaph?" Maybe I should update my signature line :eek:

No you're doing just fine Lamar :thumbsup:,despite the constant television & internet ,there still is an ocean between US. & UK. the maps call it the Atlantic & on occasion the Brits call it a sense of humour :lol:
Cheers Mike

RoadLessTaken
03-24-2019, 12:42 AM

We'll try it tomorrow! I wasn't going to bother if there was no interest! In the mean time I took the opportunity to draw the fastest teddy bear I've ever drawn (And I'm really pleased to let the perfection BS go!)

Folded sheet of Canson Watercolor paper (was 11 by 15) and 2 Copic Drawing Pens who gave their lives for a Boyd's Teddy bear that sits by my desk. Note foot of said bear in ear of drawn bear. I suspect some animosity here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2019/183686-Inkedbear.jpg

Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

Potterspink
03-24-2019, 05:37 AM
He does look a little foot out, sorry put out😊 I like your interpretation of his fur.
Potters

Charlie's Mum
03-24-2019, 07:09 AM
At least it's not 'foot in mouth' Sheila!:lol:

Why is he putting his foot down - doesn't he like his portrait? - I think it's rather cute .......Little Fred Bear!;) :)

I've tried adding the Steve Reddy link to our Help Desk - but can't get into it at the mo ...... someone has removed my permission!!!:( :crying:

RoadLessTaken
03-24-2019, 12:21 PM
Damn! I go to sleep for a few hours and look at all the stuff discussed!
thinking more of a dip pen experience.... I have a bunch of bamboo around somewhere, and some fine liner brushes.

I do have some incredibly inexpensive fountain pens around but I like them and have not used them for anything aside from looking good. I don't think I'll be playing with inks in them. (I really like just about anything made from wood.)

And then I'll take my teddy and go back for another nap. He's probably been with me about 10 years but created to look very old and worn. He has tufts of hair here and there and in other places he's made to appear worn down to the cloth. Funny how much closer I feel with the bear since having drawn him and all his parts!

For next month, draw a rug- I was specifically thinking of Persian or Oriental rugs with all the repetitive images.

Charlie's Mum
03-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Favourite artist's tool

a sign of Spring

fire

furniture

Garden accessories.

Some type of hair grooming tool

"discarded clothes" , interpret it as you wish ! but perhaps rather unimaginatively I had in mind drawing a still life of the folds & creases, the lighting etc.

draw a rug- I was specifically thinking of Persian or Oriental rugs with all the repetitive images.

RoadLessTaken
03-24-2019, 05:29 PM
India ink with acrylic extender.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2019/183686-Indiainkextender.jpg
It does need to be stirred well. The liquids are not apt to just flow together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2019/183686-Indiainkextender2.jpg
Stirred well with a previously new, unblemished stump. It's a very slimy sort of concoction.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2019/183686-IndiaInkexender3.jpg
Blends to a light black (gray) color. It dries after about 45 minutes to a flat gray without streaks. Sorry, my cat walked across the paper causing me to explode and toss the paper and the cat into the rubbish before I took pictures!

pedlars pen
03-25-2019, 03:10 AM
You missed my"furniture" suggestion tucked away underneath my first boots drawing Maureen :)
Mike

Charlie's Mum
03-25-2019, 01:22 PM
So sorry Mike - it's now added! :o ... ;)

Sheila - that concoction looks horrid - wouldn't even like to paint with it! :lol:

... hope you rescued the cat!;)

Potterspink
03-25-2019, 02:18 PM
It looks awful Sheila, one of my disastrous baking sessions comes to mind.😊
Potters

laika
03-25-2019, 06:01 PM
Sheila - does the acrylic extender slow the drying time?

I've got a sample bottle of acrylic airbrush medium somewhere; I'll find it and see what I get with black fountain pen India - with a brush, of course :)

RoadLessTaken
03-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Sheila - does the acrylic extender slow the drying time?

I've got a sample bottle of acrylic airbrush medium somewhere; I'll find it and see what I get with black fountain pen India - with a brush, of course :)

Laika, yes it did! It took a full hour and my cat was still able to walk over it and make little inky footprints across my paper work!

I'm thinking of mixing more and keeping it in a tight jar to use as a wash with inks. It needs to be applied with a brush and not a dip pen. (Too thick.)

And I would not suggest as a replacement for squid ink!

Sheila

psepheroth
03-28-2019, 02:53 AM
My first time participating in the monthly challenge in this forum.
Short story: I'm thinking of a new artwork entry on my comics (http://www.codedincantation.com/comics/), and at the same time wanted to participate in this month challenge. My idea is to create one art that satisfies both.

And so here's my March Pen and Ink entry, particularly the "stuffed animal" theme.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2019/2114997-58_watermark.jpg

Made from 9x12 inches sketchbook using 1 Rotring 0.8 pen and one disposable pen.

Suggestion for next month: Memorable structures. (could be your birthplace, hometown, or memorable designs, etc.)

laika
03-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Stuffed animal. Yup. Based on the whale in the news recently?

Anyway, nice work, psepheroth. I like the style on this: simple and graphic, with just the right amount of detail to tell the story. Well done!

Charlie's Mum
03-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Very topical - and sad! Glad you could join us!:)

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2019, 11:27 AM
The April challenge is up - thank you to all who participated this month - hope you can manage more drawing in the next four weeks!:)