PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics Question: Tubes vs. Bottles

scottb
07-15-2001, 11:32 PM
Hi gang - posting this here in the Acrylics forum, hoping to get some input from the resident experts. :)

In putting together the new WetCanvas! Product Review system, I have stumbled across something I need some clarification on regarding acrylic paints.

I am familiar, of course, with tube-based acrylic paints, but I've noticed that a number of vendors offer acrylic paints in bottles or jars. Are these used with brushes or airbrushes (or both?).

The reason I am asking is that I need to know whether or not to create a new category for the bottled-variety, and keep the tube products in their own category. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Scott

Einion
07-16-2001, 03:04 PM
Hi Scott, the acrylics offered in jars can be the same as that offered in tubes (e.g. Golden Heavy Body, Jo Sonya, Rowney Cryla, Rembrandt) or sometimes of lower viscosity (Liquitex Medium Viscosity). The Amsterdam range of acrylics from Talens in only available in jars.

Those offered in bottles are of two main types. The first is about the consistency of cream (Golden Fluid Acrylics) with supposedly the same pigment load as thicker types; Chromacolour Artist's Acrylics are an exception here, apparently it is the same consistency in the bottles as in the tubes but their formulation is quite loose I think. The second is very thin, almost watery, and usually classed as acrylics inks (Golden Airbrush Colours, Rowney FW Artists' Inks) aimed at airbrush and pen application. The thinner type can use pigments but some use dyes (Talens Waterproof Drawing Ink) so they are not really in the same class as any of the above.

Iím sure Iíve forgotten one or two of the important brands here but this covers it fairly well :)

Einion

DavidF
07-17-2001, 03:05 PM
Just to supplement Einion's comment. Here in UK, Winsor & Newton supply their lower priced 'Galleria' brand (ie 'student' or 'flow-formula' grade) in tubes AND in tubs. The latter appear to be 250ml/8.45US fl.oz and above, so it just seems to be a quantity thing. I understand that the consistency, which is more fluid than their 'Finity' range, is unaltered. Just to complicate matters, the tubs hav a conical shaped, removable lid which has it's own, supplementary cap. This allows the user to either access the tub direct (remove conical lid) or use as a large, difficult tuber (remove cap only).

You probably wish you hadn't asked!

DavidF

LDianeJohnson
07-17-2001, 06:10 PM
I don't think you need an entirely separate category for the bottled acrylics, but depending on how you do it, you could just have a columns for the different tube sizes one for bottles. You could also just have a simple paragraph that addresses the bottled versions.