PDA

View Full Version : Long Forgotten

Payne's Grey
02-26-2019, 04:06 PM
"Long Forgotten"
Another ratted-out farmhouse. (I love these old places!)
Uni-Ball pens on 8-1/2 x 10-1/2 in. Fabriano hot press.
C&C please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2019/2120925-Long_Forgotten_800.JPG

markhwebster
02-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Really lovely! I like the fence lines drawing in the eye and the boards are perfect. I hate to criticize because I like it so much...but if I was pressed, I'd say the hill in the background isn't quite as convincing as the foreground. Love those rocks on the front lawn.

Charlie's Mum
02-27-2019, 06:23 AM
I know what Mark means about the hill - but really, like him, I think this is a superb piece of work John.

Payne's Grey
02-27-2019, 09:19 AM
Mark & Maureen. Thanks, so much for the comments. Mark, I was a bit worried about those rocks in the yard!

My intent was to allow the trees and bushes on the hill to fade away a bit to add depth. I also wanted to make them dark enough to contrast with the large dead tree behind the farmhouse. Unfortunately, I believe I overworked them and messed it up.

I would redo the drawing, but think I'll move on with lessons learned. That was a lot of work! :-)

Scene Chaser
02-27-2019, 09:31 AM
John, this a fine drawing. I like old buildings too and you did it beautifully. It shows that you put a lot of time in this. I also like the composition with several directionals of fences and tree lines pointing to the center of interest.
Bill

Payne's Grey
02-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Thank you, Bill! Your comment is much appreciated.

pedlars pen
02-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Yes this is indeed excellent ! I've been interested in looking at the way you've used wash - departing from line only where you felt had to in order to avoid introducing a degree of abstraction, like on the house shadows especially.Very interesting & successful approach.
Nit picking ! - I think the large dark voids of the windows are over dominant , it may have looked an even more balanced drawing if you had left a few tiny flickers of white paper very vaguely suggesting an interior .
Mike

Payne's Grey
02-27-2019, 02:19 PM
Well, thank you, Mike. Now that you mention it, yes, those black voids do look quite heavy. Another good lesson learned!

mbankhead
03-01-2019, 01:35 PM
I really like this John, and I love the character of the old cabin. well done.:)

Payne's Grey
03-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Thank you, Mark!