PDA

View Full Version : Pochade easels: Strada vs Edge Pro

Moises Menendez
02-26-2019, 08:14 AM
I am interested in purchasing an Strada easel or the Edge Pro. I wonder if anyone has had any experience or heard comments about these two easels or pochade boxes. They are not cheap but they look very practical and sturdy.
I also heard about the A la Prima pochade box which is made out of wood and has practically every tools needed to paint outside. It is a lot cheaper than the metal ones.

Kelvin
02-26-2019, 09:33 AM
An artist I follow on Instagram recently switched from Strada to u.go by New Wave. Here's what he said when I asked why: "I like the Strada. It's just the weight, thickness and sharp corners that detract for me. This one is much more comfortable, light and very well built."

Ted Bunker
02-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Which size? And more importantly how are you thinking of using it? There's a difference if you plan to backpack with it...versus keeping an easel or box in the trunk of your car and only walking a short distance.

I've reached the point where I want something very light and compact if I'm walking or travelling, especially in the city.

But if I'm near the SUV, I don't mind packing with several elephants. It's not so much the easel, or even the canvas(es), ....the real logistics challenge is working backwards from the amount of paints, medium, beverages and the "stuff". And at 60, I like to have my chair. LOL

I do think that the trend is leaning towards the photo-tripod modular easels and away from the French easels and the one-piece contraptions. There are so many nice carry bags, photographers' and student bags now to carry the supplies and paints. All sorts of lightweight tripods and canvas-holders.

stapeliad
02-26-2019, 01:50 PM
I have 2 alla prima boxes (Belly River and Yellowstone) and I love them both madly, tho they need different tripods. I take the 6x8 box absolutely everywhere, and it has held up nicely for 9+ years so far and going strong...

Here is a pic of my Belly River on an in-progress painting from last Thursday. :heart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2019/53789-BR.JPG

wendtech
03-12-2019, 02:54 PM
I have a Strada and an Alla Prima by Ben Haggett. Love them both. The Edge doesn't allow for wet paint to stay on the palette....