PDA

View Full Version : Best Value Cadium Yellow

bokaba
02-23-2019, 07:15 PM
I am looking for a good value cadmium yellow, preferably of the lighter version, but not lemon. I am open to any paint, even student grade as long as it is good quality.

I have like Winton Cadium Yellow Light, though it is rather pasty in consistency. I have tried the Maimeri Classico Cadmium Light and it was too lemony in my opinion.

I am considering trying the Classico Cadmium deep, as it does not look to dark. Any other suggestions? Jacksons, Van Gogh?

JustAStudent
02-23-2019, 10:43 PM
I havenít tested the yellows, but Iíve been comparing cadmium redĎs And the Permalba brand is similar in quality and strength to the Winton line in red so I would assume the same holds true in yellow. I only mention this because itís a much smoother and wetter consistency than Winton so you may find it to your liking and with the price right now on closeout at Blick of $4 a tube, I doubt youíll find a better deal anywhere. So that would be my recommendation. But I havenít done any testing on my yellow cadmiums yet, so if youíre looking for something higher quality than that Iíll leave that to others to recommend

Gigalot
02-24-2019, 01:06 AM
Try "Master Class" Cadmium yellow medium. It was the best for me.

Delofasht
02-24-2019, 10:03 AM
I do suggest trying Van Gogh, it's inexpensive and genuinely a good paint for what you are paying, not as pasty as Winton. Lukas 1862, available through Jerry's, is pretty good for a budget option as well.

bokaba
02-24-2019, 11:58 AM
I do suggest trying Van Gogh, it's inexpensive and genuinely a good paint for what you are paying, not as pasty as Winton. Lukas 1862, available through Jerry's, is pretty good for a budget option as well.

Do you happen to have any swatches of the Van Gogh cadmium?

Delofasht
02-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Do you happen to have any swatches of the Van Gogh cadmium?

I am not a swatch maker, I haven't needed swatches in around 20 years so I do not bother anymore. Used up my tube of Cad Yellow from Van Gogh years ago, though I do plan to get more when I run out of the vintage tube of Permanent Pigments that I acquired this past year.

One of the best example of the color, that is readily available, is in the Blick video where you can see the comparison to an Artist's quality version. Here (https://youtu.be/_xo2xguhlC0?t=65). In the video, you can see how it compares to what I believe is Rembrandt Cad Yellow Medium. It obviously tints out a bit less vibrantly, but overall the Van Gogh Cad Yellow is a good one. This very much reflects my own experience with the color as well.

JustAStudent
02-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Hereís a quick look at Winton, Richeson, Permalba and Gamblin out of the tube. I can get you a pic of pretested too if you like. Pretty much all are looser than Winton.
Winton is at the top. To my eyes it gets looser and less green in that order.
https://ibb.co/TRpqdh5