PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use paint tube extruders?

chamisa
02-22-2019, 08:46 AM
I am always struggling to get the last drop of paint out of my tubes, especially the expensive ones. Years ago I bought a cheap extruder that didnít really work, but I see they have better quality ones now. Anyone use these with success or have tips on getting out the last drop of paint?
Thanks

This extruder looks good
https://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-paints/painting-supplies/save-it-paint-tube-extruders/save-it-paint-tube-extruders

This first plastic wringer is what didnít work for me, but thereís better metal,ones below it
https://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-paints/painting-supplies/tube-wringers/tube-wringers

budigart
02-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Extruders earn their way in short order. I bought one years ago and I'm still using it. They pay for themselves. The only thing they don't/can't do is fold over that top, rather sturdy part of the tube . . . the part of the neck where the cap fits. I use my canvas stretching tool for that. I'm talking about the one that opens/closes and has a turning handle on the side. Those rollers with ridges do the work.

contumacious
02-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Extruders earn their way in short order. I bought one years ago and I'm still using it. They pay for themselves. The only thing they don't/can't do is fold over that top, rather sturdy part of the tube . . . the part of the neck where the cap fits. I use my canvas stretching tool for that. I'm talking about the one that opens/closes and has a turning handle on the side. Those rollers with ridges do the work.

Great idea using the canvas stretcher to squish the top of the tube flat. I have been doing it the hard way for decades - cutting the top off the body of the tube and scooping out the paint. I am going to give that a go.

TomM1
02-22-2019, 12:51 PM
I have been using one like your first link for years.
At the end I squeeze out the last bit with pliers.

JustAStudent
02-22-2019, 01:55 PM
I've transferred many paints to new tubes because of leaking tubes over the past few weeks with a simple $1 paint key. I roll it up to the top, then remove it and push the body of the tube into the neck of the tube to force the last bit out. I lose between 1 and 2 grams of paint with each transfer... probably half of which is what's left in the actual neck of the tube that I could probably dig out with a thin palette knife if I really wanted to.

chamisa
02-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Okay, extruder it is ó thanks for the great tips.

Iíve been using a razor or knife to cut the top part open to scoop out the last bits.
Or taking a metal paper clip straightening the end and putting a small bend in it to scoop and scrape out last remains. Donít like using my good palette knives afraid Iíll bend the tip.
I notice some companies use much better quality tubes that squeeze the paint toward the top end better than others.

savras
02-22-2019, 04:08 PM
I've got this one. It's full-metal so it should be more durable that the one that has some parts plastic.

https://cdn.dick-blick.com/items/049/07/04907-OB3ww-l.jpg

WFMartin
02-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Yeah! I've got THAT one, and it works really well! I would recommend always going for the metal tube-wringers.

chamisa
02-22-2019, 09:09 PM
Thanks ó- Do you guys remember who makes THAT one? And what is costs?
It looks top notch.
I paint everyday so go through a lot of paint, donít want a cheap one
The first link I posted from Jerryís isnít as serious/heavy duty as THAT one, but it is all metal, no plastic.

JustAStudent
02-22-2019, 10:35 PM
Looks like the gill manufacturing one amazon has for 22.08$

Grimbo
02-23-2019, 06:37 AM
Yeah I use mine all the time - it's a necessity in the studio!
I still do my lazy thing of not squeezing the paint out properly knowing I'll be able to get it all out eventually with the tube extruder.

Really expensive colours even get opened up so I get every morsel out of the tube. :-)

TomM1
02-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Ha, I just got an email (https://www.jerrysartarama.com/save-it-paint-tube-extruders?trk_msg=1RV35L071MS4V7O0O1URBH04E0&trk_contact=0EIQF9NSO42BUJPMBACDH06EBK&trk_module=bna&trk_sid=M3CASSTSN07CA6P4GA5OUBUPH8&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=CHECK+IT+OUT&utm_campaign=Browse+Abandonment&utm_content=Browse+1) about this.

WFMartin
02-24-2019, 06:57 PM
I just had to check.......Mine is a "Gill". I must have paid around $15 to $20 for it. I can't remember from whom I bought it.

When I find that I cannot squeeze any more paint from the tube, I can usually get 2 or 3 more sessions worth by taking the tip of one of my palette knives, and poking it into the mouth of the tube, and scraping it around, thereby extracting a sizable amount of paint from the tube. I can usually do this for 2 or 3 times. When I throw that tube away, it is about as "spent" as it can get.:lol: