PDA

View Full Version : London Urban Sketchers

rosta
02-19-2019, 12:46 PM
The venue for last Saturday's London USK meet was the RAF Museum, Hendon. Woohoo! After ships and boats, I really enjoy drawing aircraft.

About 40 sketchers turned up for the event. The speed and the quality of the work always amazes (how can they draw so fast?). I've attached an image of the lunch-time sketch book throw-down. All of these sketches were produced in two hours (though I suspect some may have started early).....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2019/30494-Ron_PI.jpg

I work at a more sedate pace, but even the boxy the Sea King was a real scramble to get finished in time for the morning Throw-down.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2019/2076281-20190218_101524.jpg

Amongst all the dull green, grey and brown military aircraft was this silver beauty in polished aluminium. What a contrast to the others, she really stood out! I don't work too quickly so I drew her outline on site and then added the shading later.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2019/2076281-20190218_101543.jpg

laika
02-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Nice work on both! Did you make notes on the shading of the plane, or did you work from memory?

pedlars pen
02-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Super good work Ron ! Your aircraft are really good.
How do you draw mechanical man made objects with such looseness yet with precision at the same time, none of the endless detail over tempted you & the drawings remain a perfectly balanced impression of the whole.
A time limit + a ton of practice perhaps? :lol:
Fine sketching.
Mike

Payne's Grey
02-19-2019, 07:24 PM
Very nice sketches, Ron! Those P-51s are beautiful aircraft.

psepheroth
02-20-2019, 03:11 AM
I am a member of Urban Sketchers too.
Glad to know there are Urban Sketchers in this forum :)

Charlie's Mum
02-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Gosh Ron - what a lot of detailed work a) from life , b)in public and c) in 2 hours!
Good observation and drawing!

PS - I've put the people back on their feet!:lol: ;)

rosta
02-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Thanks Lamar, Mike, John, psepheroth and Maureen for your kind comments.

Lamar - I usually take a reference photo on my phone if I can't finish. I ran out of time in the afternoon session. :eek:

Mike - the more you look at a subject the more detail you see so leaving stuff out is the challenge. I'm always asking myself what's the minimum I can get away with in this drawing? :lol: However, working to a deadline also concentrates the mind.

John - if I were allowed to take home any of the aircraft in the museum, it would have to be the P-51. It is beautiful. ;)

Psepheroth - great to have another urban sketcher on the forum :thumbsup:

Maureen - there were 2 sketching sessions of 2hrs (or 4.5 hrs if you skip lunch). :) The image is of the morning throw-down, thanks for fixing it.

Next month we're in Spitalfields (City of London), so its back to sketching buildings.

Scene Chaser
02-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Excellence sketches, Ron.
Bill

rosta
02-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Thanks Bill

rosta
04-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Back again! This month's venue for the London USK meet was Spitalfields Market. This time about 50 sketchers turned up.

Spitalfields is in the East End and is on the edge of the City of London. In the past it was a pretty rough area but has gradually been gentrified into a touristy venue (shame!).

Here are my two sketches. The first is Christ Church, designed by Hawksmoor and completed in 1729. I drew this propped up against a bus shelter in Commercial Rd. peering through the traffic at the church.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2019/2076281-Christ_Church.jpg

The second drawing is Gun Street Stores - used for many film and TV locations. I was fascinated by the roof lines and it's typical of the old East End of London. Once again I ran out of time, so had to finish the shading and add some of the detailing and people at home :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2019/2076281-Gun_Street_Stores.jpg

pedlars pen
04-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Nice work Ron :)
Either you have the heart to sketch architecture or you don't & I don't think there is very much middle ground either.
You very obviously do :thumbsup: whilst I very obviously don't !
Mike

Scene Chaser
04-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Ron, these are great sketches. When out sketching with friends, I find we all have different perspectives and techniques. All, though whether amateur or accomplished are enjoyable to view. We don't get there proficient without a long learning curve.
You have so skillfully drawn with great perspective and interest in your subject, it shows you've worked long at this art form. Lovely work!

Payne's Grey
04-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Very nice! I particularly like the Gun Street sketch. Good perspective.
I admire you sketchers! I find it difficult to sit out on the street and do that.

rosta
04-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Mike - my real preference is drawing technical subjects. I love the flowing lines of aircraft, boats and cars and enjoy the challenge of drawing them; on the other hand I find buildings are a lot more straightforward to draw.

Scene Chaser - yes, there were probably 20 drawings of the church, all very, very different. It's fascinating to look at other peoples work and see how they have confronted the same problem.

John - drawing outdoors is a great way to meet people. Most of the people who spoke to me were very kind in their comments - though we sketchers did have strength in numbers!