PDA

View Full Version : Leave brushes full of paint without cleaning for next use

axel9546
02-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Hi guys!
I will paint every day in my new studio!
I would not clean the brushes every day, maybe once a month, do you know how i could leave it full of paint? There is a product that after i finish laint i can dip in, leave the brush into my brush holder (its a flat piece that can hold the brush flat with some pendence to the point of the brush)
And the next day, just wipe the product and start painting? Thanks!

Delofasht
02-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Wipe the paint out of your brushes, then store them in oil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2019/34519-IMG_0792.JPG

See the jar in the back of that image? I just put the brushes through the metal clips and allow them to be held aloft in the oil, I fill the jar with walnut oil, but have also used safflower oil in the past. They stay ready to use at all times.

Also, see the video I posted in your other thread, it shows how I rinse the brush with oil as well (for storing as I do between sessions, or prior to a full brush washing session).

sidbledsoe
02-17-2019, 08:21 PM
I store brushes oily and I also have been known to just wrap them in clear plastic wrap, and stick them in the freezer.
I also store them in a non drying kitchen oil, then clean them out with OMS just before using.
Washing brushes is a rare thing at my house.

Raffless
02-18-2019, 04:55 PM
One of the best things i learnt was this leaving in walnut oil and wiping for use. It probably has kept me painting more often.

axel9546
02-18-2019, 05:05 PM
So in Italy we have safflower oil for fry cooking, but also fry cooking linseed oil.
Could i wipe the paint off, do a dip into one of thoose cooking oils, and let it flat? Or i have to keep it inside the oil? Thanks

Raffless
02-18-2019, 06:34 PM
No Olive oil in Italy?
Yes i would just leave it dipped in covering the bristles. Nothing will happen detrimentally. Just change the oil if leaving for a few weeks. You can enjoy more time painting than cleaning :)

axel9546
02-19-2019, 02:50 AM
No Olive oil in Italy?
Yes i would just leave it dipped in covering the bristles. Nothing will happen detrimentally. Just change the oil if leaving for a few weeks. You can enjoy more time painting than cleaning :)
Yeah i hate cleaning it can take up yo half an hour every day!
Yes we have olive oil, its 3Ä per 1lt (poor one). Does olive oil better for this pratice than a coookin oil?

AllisonR
02-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Cooking oil has preservatives in it, the purpose is so the oil never dries. Oil for oil paint is supposed to dry!

No way I'd put it in cooking oil - not olive oil, not cooking safflower... Not unless you plan on cleaning ALL that cooking oil out before painting. Which defeats the purpose you want, if you were going to do all that you might as well clean them.

Just dip your brush generously in some walnut or poppy and lie on it's side. Perfect to pick up the next day, no cleaning necessary.

Raffless
02-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Cooking oil has preservatives in it, the purpose is so the oil never dries. Oil for oil paint is supposed to dry!

No way I'd put it in cooking oil - not olive oil, not cooking safflower... Not unless you plan on cleaning ALL that cooking oil out before painting. Which defeats the purpose you want, if you were going to do all that you might as well clean them.

Just dip your brush generously in some walnut or poppy and lie on it's side. Perfect to pick up the next day, no cleaning necessary.

FYI . Most good olive oil contains no preservatives.

https://www.minervahorio.gr/en/faqs/gia-to-eleolado/

Italy makes some of the finest olive oil in the world.

axel9546
02-19-2019, 12:47 PM

Do you have any product i can buy?

AllisonR
02-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Do you have any product i can buy?

You don't need any special product. Just the painting oil you normally use, be that linseed, walnut or poppy. Just use the straight oil, no other mediums or turps...

Richard P
02-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Olive oil is still classed as a non-drying oil though isn't it?

sidbledsoe
02-19-2019, 02:06 PM
olive oil is non drying.
A non drying oil is what you want to use for long term storage. A simple rinse with OMS and recharge of the brush with your oil or medium is all that is needed to resume painting.
Washing out brushes and leaving them to dry out is what causes them to get fouled and ruined. Keeping them charged with oil is what keeps them like brand new. Even if you think that you are fully cleaning out brushes with solvent or with soap and water, you are not. There will always be some residual oil buried down deep into the packed area near the ferrule. The oil wicks up into that packed area by capillary action, but there the hairs there are too dense and closely packed to get the oil fully removed. This is what dries up, hardens, and turns flats into brights, etc.
However, keeping them oily preserves them so that they will behave as they do when they are brand new. Sign painters and commercial painters have known this forever, and they store them wet in oil, or kerosene, etc.

axel9546
02-20-2019, 12:24 AM
olive oil is non drying.
A non drying oil is what you want to use for long term storage. A simple rinse with OMS and recharge of the brush with your oil or medium is all that is needed to resume painting.
Washing out brushes and leaving them to dry out is what causes them to get fouled and ruined. Keeping them charged with oil is what keeps them like brand new. Even if you think that you are fully cleaning out brushes with solvent or with soap and water, you are not. There will always be some residual oil buried down deep into the packed area near the ferrule. The oil wicks up into that packed area by capillary action, but there the hairs there are too dense and closely packed to get the oil fully removed. This is what dries up, hardens, and turns flats into brights, etc.
However, keeping them oily preserves them so that they will behave as they do when they are brand new. Sign painters and commercial painters have known this forever, and they store them wet in oil, or kerosene, etc.
Maybe im not gonna paint for a week, could i leave it to a flat brush holder, just with a rinse into linseed oil? Or its better olive oil? Or walnut? Thabks!

TomMather
02-20-2019, 08:28 AM
So how do you store brushes in oil without the bristles getting bent out of shape? Isnít it hazardous leaving open jars of oil? Wonít the oil start skimming over or drying if uncovered? Iím definitely intrigued with this concept because I clean my brushes with OMS and soap after every use and they still get clogged with dry paint and become unusable after a while.

axel9546
02-20-2019, 01:12 PM
So how do you store brushes in oil without the bristles getting bent out of shape? Isnít it hazardous leaving open jars of oil? Wonít the oil start skimming over or drying if uncovered? Iím definitely intrigued with this concept because I clean my brushes with OMS and soap after every use and they still get clogged with dry paint and become unusable after a while.
I will use a brush holder the bristle will not touch the wood , could be that ok?