PDA

View Full Version : Diy palette. Which ground color ?

axel9546
02-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Hi guys, i was questioning myself of which ground color should i do my palette. Should i do brown or gray?

contumacious
02-16-2019, 04:17 PM
What material are you using for the palette? I have found that trying to apply a color on top of a palette doesn't work very well. It ends up scraping off with palette knife use.

For my glass palettes I paint the back side 18% gray. My wood palettes are all a warm, medium earth tone after years of use and wiping clean. Either one works fine for me. If you tone all your canvases the same color, then a glass palette with the same color as your canvas can be helpful, so I am told.

AllisonR
02-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Mine are a medium brown. And I am painting usually on top of a brown earth color rubbed into the canvas. So this works well for concentrating on values. Much better than having my paints on a white tear off palette, which is way too light compared to what I am really painting on.

I have 3 or 4 of these palettes. But in an ideal world I would rather have 2 or 3 in brown and one in neutral grey, for when I am starting a painting in greyscale instead of earth colors. Hmm - next time I buy a palette maybe I will soak it with light grey added to the linseed.

axel9546
02-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Glass palette, i think i will ill paint the back of a Heart tone, because ive qlways used gray and ive found me well, but im asking why all professional artist are advicing to paint on the warm brown. (If you think old master paint also on a brown wooden palette).
Do u have a color reference for a neutral dead brown i can print or check by the screem and mix?

TomMather
02-16-2019, 07:32 PM
If you start out with a brown palette it will eventually become grayish brown from accumulated paint that you donít completely remove after painting, in my experience.

contumacious
02-16-2019, 07:37 PM
If you go with glass, you can try several different colors of toned paper underneath the glass. Once you find the one you like, then paint the bottom side that color.

WFMartin
02-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Brown, wood, mahogany palette. No conditioning, other than putting paint on it, using it, and then scraping, and buffing the paint off of it at the end of the session.

I've found that white, gray, and black (or dark gray) are usually too "stark", and not very useful for mixing paint.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2019/13079-Wood_Palette_Patina.jpg

Nice, warm, brown, wood palette performs wonderfully for me.:)

JCannon
02-16-2019, 08:47 PM
I like my wood palette best. But the glass palette is easiest to clean. I affixed white paper to the back. If I had grey paper, I would have used that, but white really is not bad.

sidbledsoe
02-16-2019, 09:50 PM
brown, gray, taupe, beige, natural wood, white, it doesn't matter to me because I don't mix my colors in reference to the palette, I mix colors in reference to the painting/canvas, where they are applied in context, next to, within, around, and beside each other, thus having a perfect neutral palette isn't really needed or that helpful.

DebWDC
02-17-2019, 08:53 AM
My palette is designed to help keep me from making mistakes. If I made different types of mistakes, then I would change the palette to help me with those mistakes.

I use a glass palette because it is easy to clean. My glass palette is a sandwich of layers:
1. The bottom is a piece of MDF, cut to the same size and shape of the glass. This helps prevent the glass from breaking when I am clumsy (I am clumsy :)
2. In the middle is a piece of neutral, medium gray paper, close to value 5. Also, on top of this paper and below the glass, is a small 10 value gray scale. I find this very helpful to keep me from making mistakes with my paintsí values and temperatures.
3. On top is the glass. The glass and the MDF are held together with 2 inch wide gray electrical tape on 3 sides. I keep one side open so I can slide things in or out as needed.

TomM1
02-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Hi guys, i was questioning myself of which ground color should i do my palette. Should i do brown or gray?

I use a neutral grey piece of mat board under a glass palette.

axel9546
02-19-2019, 12:46 PM
My palette is designed to help keep me from making mistakes. If I made different types of mistakes, then I would change the palette to help me with those mistakes.

I use a glass palette because it is easy to clean. My glass palette is a sandwich of layers:
1. The bottom is a piece of MDF, cut to the same size and shape of the glass. This helps prevent the glass from breaking when I am clumsy (I am clumsy :)
2. In the middle is a piece of neutral, medium gray paper, close to value 5. Also, on top of this paper and below the glass, is a small 10 value gray scale. I find this very helpful to keep me from making mistakes with my paintsí values and temperatures.
3. On top is the glass. The glass and the MDF are held together with 2 inch wide gray electrical tape on 3 sides. I keep one side open so I can slide things in or out as needed.
Do u have a pic?

DebWDC
02-19-2019, 06:00 PM
I will tomorrow. Deb

axel9546
02-20-2019, 01:13 PM
I will tomorrow. Deb
Thanks

DebWDC
02-20-2019, 06:17 PM
Hi Axel - I have attached a pdf file showing the gray palette. Hope you find this useful. Deb

axel9546
02-21-2019, 02:35 AM
Hi Axel - I have attached a pdf file showing the gray palette. Hope you find this useful. Deb
Thats amazing thanks for sharing