PDA

View Full Version : Book: Earthen Pigments: Hand-Gathering & Using Natural Colors in Art

AnnieA
02-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Here's a link to the book on Amazon:
Earthen Pigments: Hand-Gathering & Using Natural Colors in Art (https://www.amazon.com/Earthen-Pigments-Hand-Gathering-Natural-Colors/dp/0764341782)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2019/85002-Earthen_Pigments_book_image.jpeg
I haven't read it myself yet, but it does sound fascinatingl

And here's the blurb on the Amazon site:
Discover how to collect, process, and use pigments from the earth. Starting with the equipment and tools needed for gathering soils, the author takes the reader from the field to the studio where the processes of cleaning, sifting, and mulling result in beautiful colored pigments. Through recipes and illustrations, learn how to turn these pigments into a variety of artist mediums from water-based paints, to pastels and oil/wax crayons, casein solutions, printmaking inks, and even spun into paper threads for weaving, stitching, and tying. Several pigment samples are shown throughout, and a gallery of the artistís works using hand-gathered pigments will inspire your own creative ideas. This guidebook is a wonderful resource for all artists, craftspeople, journalers, and hobbyists.
Sounds like something Ryan would like...

Delofasht
02-15-2019, 07:23 PM
It sounds fun to me, maybe one day when I have the time to go for a hike and set up for some painting I'll be able to grab some materials to make some pigments while I am doing so.

AnnieA
02-15-2019, 09:14 PM
I actually once did some (half-hearted) hunting for paint materials, but to be successful, I think I would have needed some kind of information about where deposits of this or that might be actually located! :lol:

I had gotten the idea from reading some of Jean Auel's books. She wrote a series featuring pre-historic people that was so interesting, and included info about pre-historic technologies of various sorts including early paint making.

Delofasht
02-15-2019, 11:05 PM
I had gotten the idea from reading some of Jean Auel's books. She wrote a series featuring pre-historic people that was so interesting, and included info about pre-historic technologies of various sorts including early paint making.

I know that series of books, it's my wife's favorite series. Earth Children series if I recall correctly. Fun books... a bit love interest centric in the middle books for my tastes, but excellent all the same. Historical fiction is some good reading, enough to latch on to, great liberties for the author to do what they will with it.

This is the sort of alchemy I dream of though, grinding stuff up, making paint, a fishing hook, fishing line and an easel. Sit and fish while painting the lake, dinner and a painting.

AnnieA
02-16-2019, 02:28 PM
I know that series of books, it's my wife's favorite series. Earth Children series if I recall correctly. Fun books... a bit love interest centric in the middle books for my tastes, but excellent all the same. Historical fiction is some good reading, enough to latch on to, great liberties for the author to do what they will with it.

This is the sort of alchemy I dream of though, grinding stuff up, making paint, a fishing hook, fishing line and an easel. Sit and fish while painting the lake, dinner and a painting.
Yes, the series is "Earth's Children," and you're so right about the "love interest centric" problem of the later books - it too often seemed to be extraneous to the story.

Your dream sounds perfect! Yeah, the idea of ancient technologies can be fascinating, especially in the case of paint. Have you read What Painting Is by art historian James Elkins? You'd probably enjoy it a lot.

Delofasht
02-16-2019, 11:23 PM
Have you read What Painting Is by art historian James Elkins? You'd probably enjoy it a lot.

I have not yet, but I should add it to my list of books to read. I have had much less time these past few years, but I am hopeful that as my kiddo gets older, I will end up with a few more free hours to do some personal reading. Of course, if I can find an audio book version, I will be all over it as I can generally do that while painting. Wish I had an extra set of eyes so I could read and paint at the same time. Ah well, patience I have much of, luckily.