PDA

View Full Version : Grumbacher Gainsborough

JustAStudent
02-14-2019, 09:51 AM
So I've come across some Grumbacher Gainsborough oil paints, but can't find anything about them anywhere... except a few small "sets" listed on eBay. Was it only available as a beginners set? Were they beginners paint, student or artist? Were they ever sold individually or were they just for the "intro" sets?

They say "artist oil color's" that old slogan that means about as much as "organic".

JCannon
02-15-2019, 08:50 AM
They were student paints. Not very high quality. I seem to recall that you could get them individually, once upon a time, although memory may be playing tricks on me again.

I had a couple of them, decades ago; one was a pthalo green, if memory serves. Not full-sized tubes. They seemed plastic-y, as was often the case with lesser-quality paints. Come to think of it, they were probably the worst paints I've ever used. Pictor -- a cheap, much-deprecated brand of that bygone time -- was actually easier to paint with.

That said, if you've found a stash that comes free or very cheap, snap it up. You'll probably find a use for them.

JustAStudent
02-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Thank you. No plans to buy more at the moment, but I bought a lot of paintbrushes last week that was listed with an artist box/pallet/paint etc. I told him to keep the box since I didnít need it to save on shipping but I accepted the paint and the brushes. Most of the paint was pre-tested, but some very old small tubes are Gainsborough. I had Not seen them before, so I searched and found that they seem to just be sold as a beginner set, but there was no information about the quality. Thanks for letting me know.

marksmomagain
02-15-2019, 11:11 AM
They were a student paint.. not too bad, but nonetheless a student paint. I still have about 30 or so tubes. I use them for oil sketching outside (because they are small, it helps cut down on weight when I'm hiking or riding).