PDA

View Full Version : Oil painting ventilation and mask help!

axel9546
02-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Hi guys!
I have particular problem with oil paint but i love it. I love this medium.
I would like to find an escamotage to let me paint!
I have problems for smells and for vapours that make me nausea and headhace, do u know (as im builting a little space "studio", if i can place any ventilation system?)
Also if i can wear a mask? Thanjs!!!!!

Delofasht
02-13-2019, 08:04 PM
I would recommend not using solvent or paints that contain solvents. If it is the smell of the oil itself then not much can be done about that, but most times this stems from solvent based vapors.

If you are absolutely incapable of painting solvent free, or it is actually the fumes of the oil paint itself drying that you smell, then a simple exhaust fan can extract the air and fumes directly away from you if you position it properly and work adjacent to the exterior (not in painting in the middle of the room away from a wall). This may or may not be enough for you. The equipment exists, but it is all very specific to your space and whether or not you will be using solvents and the like.

If it is the fumes of the drying paint, you can try a brand that uses a different Oil for their paint. Walnut and Safflower paint lines exist and have a different smell from linseed based paints.

Pinguino
02-13-2019, 08:27 PM
I hate to put it this way, but... If you cannot find an easy solution, then you need to ask yourself whether oil painting is really for you. There are other ways to do art.

axel9546
02-14-2019, 02:08 AM
I hate to put it this way, but... If you cannot find an easy solution, then you need to ask yourself whether oil painting is really for you. There are other ways to do art.
I know the other mediums, but they could not be as believable as oils for me.

I plan to paint to an easel, the thing is distracting me are the medium smells, (also a little the oils too) but i think the big problem is the medium.
I have w and Newton watermixable oil paint and safflower oil paint
May there is something that capture all odors and toxic stuff that you can change every day, like something that catch thoose stuffs into a filter idk

Seaside Artist
02-14-2019, 03:32 AM
My honest opinion based on my experience and career. My family and I have health issues with odors and toxic chemicals including oil painting mediums/solvents. I switched to Solvent Free gel and liquid as a medium and walnut oil/soap and water to clean brushes. My best change has been to Williamsburg Oil paints. I have used WN, but have found the quality has changed and the pigment load is marginal. We have no odor in the studio. I have no need for a ventilation or filtering system any longer. In my early career 30+ years ago I exposed myself to many toxic chemicals. I am extremely grateful to the professionals here that shared their methods for a healthier space to paint in. I will never go back and I do not have to give up my passion for oil painting. None of my clients have noticed a difference in my work. Wishing you the best in painting.

axel9546
02-14-2019, 07:23 AM
My honest opinion based on my experience and career. My family and I have health issues with odors and toxic chemicals including oil painting mediums/solvents. I switched to Solvent Free gel and liquid as a medium and walnut oil/soap and water to clean brushes. My best change has been to Williamsburg Oil paints. I have used WN, but have found the quality has changed and the pigment load is marginal. We have no odor in the studio. I have no need for a ventilation or filtering system any longer. In my early career 30+ years ago I exposed myself to many toxic chemicals. I am extremely grateful to the professionals here that shared their methods for a healthier space to paint in. I will never go back and I do not have to give up my passion for oil painting. None of my clients have noticed a difference in my work. Wishing you the best in painting.
Thank so much for sharing ur experience!
Would you mind to tell the brands of the medium u use?

ik345
02-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Try different brands of water mixable. I first bought a beginner pack of Reeves, very small tubes. I like the oil paint smell, but not that of solvents. So, Reeves gives pretty strong smell. I then bought Lukas Berlin, because Reeves somehow does not produce bigger tubes, and was disappointed that some (but not all) of Lukas have practically no smell.

But again, I do like it. For me, acrylics stink, and oils smell. :)

If Lukas are available where you live, I could even try to identify those with minimal smell and tell you, so that you can buy some.

marksmomagain
02-15-2019, 11:08 AM
just paint outside when the weather allows. in the opening of your garage, on your porch, etc.

axel9546
02-16-2019, 01:46 AM
just paint outside when the weather allows. in the opening of your garage, on your porch, etc.
Thanks i will do outside painting, but i need also a place when out is cold or too hot