PDA

View Full Version : Framing Watercolors / "floating" mount

harramiller
08-01-2000, 04:34 PM
HELP. My painting instructor consistently recommends that a given painting would look best floated within a mat (the edges exposed, not covered and held down by the mat). She's usually right, too, but I've had to ignore her a few times because I do my own framing and have had bad luck creating tape "hinges" on the back of the paper that will be reliable for the long haul.

When I mat the work the normal way, of course, I have the luxury of laying a piece of the linen tape directly against the back - or even the front margin - of the watercolor paper. But the floating mount requires a loop or fold of tape, perfectly located (even that is hard), somehow supported with another piece of tape... well, anyhow, I've only make it work a couple of times, and most of the time when I try it the technique fails on me sooner or later.
Anyone have some advice? I have twelve kinds of mounting tape by now from plain to fancy to archival to heavyweight. I don't thin it's what I'm using. It's how I'm using it.

Note: my instructor's answer to this is that she has her paintings framed professionally (inferred: it's not her problem!)<FONT face="Times New Roman">Text</FONT f>

oleCC
08-02-2000, 05:35 AM
HI... My daughter is a pro framer and does a lot of these "floating mounts"..and your instructor is right to a point. Not ALL watercolor pieces look best framed that way.
Personal choice of course, but don't be afraid to use double face tape (acid free type) if hinging is such a problem for you. If you are using 300# paper or heavier, that kind of tape may work better for you.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol

carly
08-02-2000, 03:28 PM
You will recognize how little I know about watercolor when I mention this, I'm sure! but why couldn't you use that type of mounting that is used on a wall...it has adhesive on both sides and sticks to the wall, then you pull the top adhesive off and stick your picture on it. I'm not sure what its called...but it white and has a thickness of a quarter inch..maybe a bit less. I don't know about its archival quality...but I know it sure sticks on a wall permanently. I've seen it in packages of acrylic fixtures that had to be attached without nails, too.
carly

harramiller
08-02-2000, 04:23 PM
If I can find either of those products in an archival quality, I will give them a try. To date either I haven't seen them, or I've assumed that double-faced products were automatically ineligible. Thanks to you both for your ideas.

oleCC
08-03-2000, 07:23 AM
Try checking out the CheapJoe catalog...I get most of my supplies there, as do all my students. Dick Blick is also a good source.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Carol
PS: Carly..the acid free thing is a drawback for that type of tape..I think that is only one of several reasons it is not advisable but will check with daughter on that.

artwoman1
09-06-2000, 05:41 PM
I frame my watercolors myself and I have a system I learned from a picture framing book. First I cut horizontal slits in the mounting board. I use 2ply rag board or acid free foam core board. Then I thread the tape through the slits so that the glue side faces the back of the painting on the front side. The tape hangs below the slit in front. When you do this the glue side of the tape will face the back of the mounting board. It will extend upwards above the slit. I then moisten the tape on the back and adhere it to the backside of the mounting board. Then I turn the board over to the front side and position the painting over the tape that is extending down below the slits. I place some heavy books on the painting to help hold it in place. Then I gently curl the painting away from the mounting surface, reach under it to the tape with a moistened paint brush (an old wc brush) to activate the glue. Then I lower the painting onto the moistened tape and move the books over the spots where the tape is to hold the painting down while it dries. You really have to have the matt board cut an hinged to the mounting board so you can properly position the painting within the window. The mounts are very strong because of the kink in the tape as it is woven through the slit in the board. I hope this explanation is clear enough to be followed. It's one of those techniques best shown than explained. Oh, I use archival gummed linen tape that is water activated. It is a reversable tape in that you can get it off pretty easily. It's fine for heavy paper not for more delicate printmaking papers or drawing papers. Use Rice paper tape for that. Light Impressions has rice paper mounting kits for sale.

------------------
aw1

ameliajordan
09-06-2000, 07:03 PM
Your instructor's comment didn't seem very friendly. Probably the instructions above will work for you - I think I'd need to be shown. My instructor uses a lengthwise and a crosswise strip for floating mounts but I haven't done it and can't really describe how. I do like the look for lots of work.

Harra
09-08-2000, 02:24 PM
Artwoman: By George, I think you've got it! Actually, that sort of sounds like what a friend had done by professionals to an enormous (double-elephant) piece that she had floated, but their description was very vague (on purpose?).

Your description is fine, and I will be abe to work from it. Will be trying it very soon, I hope.

Thanks to all for your input!

{PS - my instructor's comments are ALWAYS friendly, she is actually one of the best teachers for critiques that I have ever encountered: very skilled at insightful and useful comments that nurture even the most frightened beginner, and challenge her more advanced students. I strive to emulate her skills at this!)

------------------

artwoman1
09-11-2000, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harra:
Artwoman: By George, I think you've got it! Actually, that sort of sounds like what a friend had done by professionals to an enormous (double-elephant) piece that she had floated…

Thanks to all for your input!

Your welcome. Let me know how it goes the first time. It'll let me know how well I put the instructions.

------------------
Davida

[This message has been edited by artwoman1 (edited September 12, 2000).]