PDA

View Full Version : Creating a cotton/linen like texture in gesso on a panel

Richard P
02-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Hey all,

I'm guessing that someone here has tried creating a cotton/linen like texture in gesso with pressing fabric in and them removing it to create an imprint. I believe Ampersand do something similar with one of their gesso panels.

How well does it work in practice when you have tried it?

Thanks,
Richard

autolisp
02-02-2019, 03:36 PM
I actually have tried to achieve this effect. But I gave up after many attempts using a variety of methods. I tried pressing a rough canvas into the wet gesso surface. I tried using a 'breyer' (roller with patterned wheels) to make a similar pattern. I tried pushing a fine brass mesh into the surface. All gave inferior results compared to canvas weave I was after. So now I glue cotton sheet on to the surface of MDF and use that.

Richard P
02-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Hmm. thank you for that. Have you tried the ampersand version? I wonder how they compare.

contumacious
02-02-2019, 06:50 PM
You can achieve a woven looking surface by brushing gesso / ground at 90 degrees with each application, using a brush that leaves linear brush strokes. Alternate 90 degrees every other coat and don't sand it at all. I actually prefer the look I get with the textured brushed on ground vs woven fabric as it is more random. With practice you can get a very nice pattern going. Thinner / wetter consistency material and finer bristles gives thinner lines, getting thicker and more pronounced as it dries more and / or using more coarse bristles. Sanding lightly after but not trying to flatten it out can give another interesting look.

autolisp
02-03-2019, 05:51 AM
Hmm. thank you for that. Have you tried the ampersand version? I wonder how they compare.

No. I never did.

Actually I just had another idea that might work. How about using a 'coarse toothed comb' and dragging it though the wet gesso/acrylic primer at perpendicular directions. That might just work. Give it a try - I will.

budigart
02-03-2019, 09:14 AM
I used to texture panels. I had several ways of doing which achieved different effects.

I got something of the "linen" look you talk about by using a fairly stiff bristled brush and dragging it through rather thickly applied gesso that had partially dried. It takes some practice . . . has to be the right amount of thickness and the right amount of dry.

Applied gesso with a palette knife, let it dry for awhile and then go back with the knife to disturb the surface . . . press, push, scoop, flatten in random ways.

I also swish through slightly dried gesso with an old whisk broom which leaves interesting patterns and swirls.

Another way is to ball up old newspaper or saran wrap and press it into slightly set gesso.

Richard P
02-07-2019, 03:43 AM
Thank you all. I tend to use the alternate horizontal and vertical strokes method on two different layers of gesso. I also like the less mechanical look compared to canvas. One reason I like the linen texture is that it's a bit less regular.

contumacious
02-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Thank you all. I tend to use the alternate horizontal and vertical strokes method on two different layers of gesso. I also like the less mechanical look compared to canvas. One reason I like the linen texture is that it's a bit less regular.

I have ended up with some nice rough weave looking textures with 4 or more 90 degree alternating layers.

Please let us know how your testing goes!