PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a good source for primed, fine-weave Linen canvases?

Quality
02-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Stretched canvases. Been searching around, but can't find a good source. Any suggestions?

Seaside Artist
02-02-2019, 03:25 AM
What country are you in? If in the US, what state? Many of the smaller art supply stores ahve been forced out of business. Sources aren't what they used to be. There also appears to be less options of brands available. When needed I use the Fredrix brand and that has been excellent. It is made in the US.

WFMartin
02-02-2019, 09:52 AM
Yes, I've found that Fredrix offers good, stretched linen canvases, either oil-primed, or acrylic-primed.

If you care to paint on panels, RayMar offers some excellent oil-primed linen panels of almost any sort of weave you may want. I use them routinely, and I recommend them.

Quality
02-02-2019, 11:31 AM
What country are you in? If in the US, what state? Many of the smaller art supply stores ahve been forced out of business. Sources aren't what they used to be. There also appears to be less options of brands available. When needed I use the Fredrix brand and that has been excellent. It is made in the US.

I'm in the US, Virginia. Yeah, I've noticed that smaller specialty shops have really gone the way of the dinosaur. If what you're looking for isn't in Michaels or AC Moore, you're going to end up having to order it. I'm just having trouble finding a US source specifically for stretched linen canvased with a very fine weave. I'm not seeing them on the Fredrix site. Maybe I've overlooked.

Yes, I've found that Fredrix offers good, stretched linen canvases, either oil-primed, or acrylic-primed.

If you care to paint on panels, RayMar offers some excellent oil-primed linen panels of almost any sort of weave you may want. I use them routinely, and I recommend them.

Hey WFMartin. Awhile back, you made a post about the very finely woven watercolor canvases carried at HobbyLobby. Do you recall that? Well, I tried using them after reading your post and really enjoyed working with a much finer canvas texture as much of the work I do is rather small. Later on, I began using linen canvases and realized that I much preferred linen to cotton. As far as work-ability and end result, I think linen completely trumps cotton. Of course, reasonable thinking has led me out in hopes of combining best of both worlds; linen canvases with a very fine weave (like the watercolor canvases). I've found some that were reasonably priced on Jackson's art supplies site, but they're shipping out of the UK I believe. Makes things quite expensive.

marksmomagain
02-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Hobby Lobby also has linen stretch canvas.

contumacious
02-02-2019, 07:24 PM
If you like to paint small and detailed, try a totally flat primed panel with your favorite ground on there. I find the smooth surface more enjoyable than a canvas texture for that type of painting.

Quality
02-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Hobby Lobby also has linen stretch canvas.I was looking specifically for a very finely woven linen. HobbyLobby's linen canvases are medium textured.

If you like to paint small and detailed, try a totally flat primed panel with your favorite ground on there. I find the smooth surface more enjoyable than a canvas texture for that type of painting.

I'm not too big on panels anymore. Much prefer using canvas.

WFMartin
02-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Hey WFMartin. Awhile back, you made a post about the very finely woven watercolor canvases carried at HobbyLobby. Do you recall that?

Yes, I surely do. One of my students picked it up while shopping for a canvas for my class, and I had never seen one like it. It was extremely smooth, and finely woven.

Well, I tried using them after reading your post and really enjoyed working with a much finer canvas texture as much of the work I do is rather small. Later on, I began using linen canvases and realized that I much preferred linen to cotton. As far as work-ability and end result, I think linen completely trumps cotton.

That's my feeling, as well.

Of course, reasonable thinking has led me out in hopes of combining best of both worlds; linen canvases with a very fine weave (like the watercolor canvases). I've found some that were reasonably priced on Jackson's art supplies site, but they're shipping out of the UK I believe. Makes things quite expensive.

Well, I think "expensive" is the name of the game for high-quality, fine-weave, linen canvas. I, too, feel that a good linen canvas surface trumps most cotton canvases. RayMar has some incredible material on panels, if you wish to pay the price. They gave me a sample of some incredibly fine, Belgian Linen on a panel whose weave was so fine I could barely see it. I have a very nice painting that I did on that material. Just for kicks, you should Google RayMar, and browse their offerings. They offer some linen surfaces that you wouldn't believe. But, their "normal" linen canvas panels are quite exquisite, even without delving into their super-fine-weave linen.

marksmomagain
02-06-2019, 04:38 AM
Oops, sorry :) I never looked at them that close...

TomMather
02-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Another fan of RayMar, if you donít mind painting on panels. They sell samplers with an assortment of their surfaces if youíre curious.