PDA

View Full Version : Country Estate

Payne's Grey
01-30-2019, 10:53 PM
Based on a picture I once saw in a furniture store.
C&C

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2019/2120925-Country_Estate_800.JPG

pedlars pen
01-31-2019, 03:48 AM
Yep that's working very nicely John,it really is.
I think it could be made to sing if the light direction were to be more emphasized , exaggerated even.
Pen & ink is like that ! - it adds drama & strength to a drawing.
The foreground tree on the left & surrounding foliage is just fine & I wouldn't touch that at all , the light is plainly coming from the right , but on the inside edge of the right hand wall I would consider making that darker more obviously in shadow with a bit extending on the ground.(you've already done all that but not boldly enough).
Gable end of the house, again there is shadow but perhaps not bold enough.
Bits & pieces around the place emphasized (using darker tones ) a bit more to underline the light direction.
All of what I'm suggesting has all ready been done ! but just not obviously enough to have the impact & power that pen possesses,that is it's true nature,it's strength.
A lot of people need to be directed towards greater subtlety in their pen work to get the best out of the medium but generally with folk coming from a watercolour background the situation is reversed !
Don't be timid -that's not fair because you haven't been but I hope you get what I'm saying.
The truth is that P&I is not that a subtle medium ! :eek: but is very powerful.
Mike

Payne's Grey
01-31-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Mike.
Working on it!
I've been re-reading Guptill's 'Rendering in Pen and Ink,' and am being reminded of shadow techniques and how much in general I've forgotten about line drawing over the years. If you had asked me what I could have done to improve the sketch, my answer may have pretty well mimicked yours! :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
02-01-2019, 11:38 AM
All said above!

Good comp John - a pleasant piece.:)

Payne's Grey
02-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Think I'll quit right here...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2019/2120925-Country_Estate2_800.JPG