PDA

View Full Version : Christ The King Church, Loyola College, Chennai

Blah
01-26-2019, 01:00 PM
I sketched and coloured this one on location last Sunday. It took me around an hour to complete, and this included several breaks to chat with some of my sketching friends whom I was meeting after a long time. This was done in pen, ink, and watercolour wash approx. 16 cm x 20 cm in an 140 gsm sketchbook.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2019/31572-Loyola_College_Church_for_WetCanvas.jpg

Charlie's Mum
01-26-2019, 01:55 PM
That's a BIG scene to do from life! ... you've kept proportions and character of the place so well - a very nice, spontaneous drawing.

Payne's Grey
01-26-2019, 06:49 PM
So classic! This picture should be in the dictionary to help define the term, 'Urban Sketching.'

Blah
01-27-2019, 01:48 AM
Maureen, John...Thank you.

Scene Chaser
01-27-2019, 05:06 AM
Lovely sketch! I like that you kept the figures' head level.
Bill

laika
01-27-2019, 05:34 PM
You certainly have the knack for capturing an essence without drowning in detail. This drawing reminds me a bit of the Paul Hogarth style:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2019/80957-pg.jpg

DreamSketcher
01-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Balaji this is a very nice scene.🙂 You captured it!
Thanks for sharing Hogarth’s work Lamar. I had not heard of him.

Blah
01-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Bill, Lamar, DreamSketcher...Thank you.
Lamar...Thank you for sharing Paul Hogarth's work.

pedlars pen
01-28-2019, 07:34 PM
You certainly have the knack for capturing an essence without drowning in detail. This drawing reminds me a bit of the Paul Hogarth style:

I must repectfully disagree ! I mean, for a start there isn't a drop of ink on the Paul Hogarth painting, he has just blocked in the colours without using tone at all. Not even a hint of the experienced draughtsmans hand that captures the mood of the subject with such perfect looseness & economy as is so very evident in Balaji's line work , the paint:eek: is very cleverly added to the trees with some variation of tone but that's not dwelt on too much to conflict with the use of line. The suggestion of sky, a subtle hint but enough , just perfect ! Such a perfect marriage of two very different mediums.
The balance of line & colour in this sketch are a masterpiece worthy of study for anyone who wishes to add watercolour to a pen drawing.
If you want to add colour to a pen drawing, forget about colouring books ! this is how you do it , with well honed sensitive aesthetic judgment.
Mike

Scene Chaser
01-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Whatever style this is. Lamar, I really like the painting. Colorful, dimensional and fine perspective.
Bill

Blah
01-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Thank you Mike. I am currently on cloud 9. :D
Lamar...I too like the Hogarth painting that you have posted.