PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: New Year's Cigar Box Exchange

Pages : [1] 2

lisilk
11-14-2003, 01:02 AM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: New Year's Cigar Box Exchange
Project Leader: lisilk
Relative Difficulty: Easy
Type Restrictions: Any Type
Medium: Mixed Media
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 60
Maximum participants allowed: 20

Description:

Please join me in a “Happy 2004 New Year's Art/Cigar Box Exchange“!

This is an exchange!
You will have until the end of January to mail out one decorated art/cigar box.
That's almost 12 weeks folks, I know you can do it!
Call it your first project of the New Year.

1. Please PM me your address when you sign up. I will draw names on Jan. 15, 2004. Because of weight, if you do not want to send overseas, I will keep that in mind and try to give you a same continent recipient.

2. Create a memory box, art box or cigar purse for one of your fellow WetCanvas! Artists.

3. Post your progress pictures so we can see your process. You can carve, paint, collage, use beads, fabric, photo's, your choice. Decorate the outside, the inside, or both.

4. When you receive a box, please p.m. the sender so they can upload the final piece with the name of the recipient.

Have fun!
With this group I have high expectations.
No pressure there!
Lot's of ideas in the links below!

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=579)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

Kalibabe
11-14-2003, 01:57 AM
Can I just check...

does it need to be a cigar box???

I dunno where i'd get one.
Or can it be a box that is sorta the same??/

If it can be, I'm IN

:D

lisilk
11-14-2003, 02:03 AM
My first project ! I need to give a big thanks to Linda/ Leaflin for helping me edit the project and help me set it up.

Kali, thanks for joining ! Yes, I just started with the idea of cigar boxes as a guide because I have a ton in different sizes and shapes. But, if you start with something similar, I have no problem with that.

Can't wait to see what what everyone does. :clap:

Check out DonnaB's cigar box purse exchange in the glass forum from last Feb..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_final_all.php?proj_id=375

If you would like to do a cigar box purse, here is a resource for handles and hardware.

http://www.umei.com/p/f/UMX-HANDBAG-HANDLE-PRICING.htm

Li

*** Make sure everyone to p.m. me your addresses !

Jakeally
11-14-2003, 08:32 AM
Congratulations on a really well thought out project Li :clap: :clap: I'll have to ask around to see if I can find a cigar box too.

Leaflin
11-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by lisilk
My first project ! I need to give a big thanks to Linda/ Leaflin for helping me edit the project and help me set it up.

:D You're Welcome.

The first project is always the exciting one. You get butterflies in your stomach when you click that button then wonder if you did it right. LOL
My first one was on Lighthouses back in May 2001. Joe helped me with mine. People still add to it every now and then, 99 participants with 181 entries!

This sounds like a lot of fun!
Think I'll go sign up :D

Kalibabe
11-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Okies, am all signed up, now gotta start with a box....

Remember my first project....
was scared nobody would join
:eek:

k8e
11-14-2003, 02:46 PM
18 gauge tubing or 16 gauge wire makes a nice, sturdy handle you can bead...:D

Katie

lisilk
11-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Yes I was nervous that no one would sign up for my first project but should have known some of you would because you are in every other project I'm in ! LOL.

If you are having problems finding a box you can find your local smoke shop. They usually have tons that they throw out and they will usually be happy to have you cart them off.

I have also noticed them on ebay. Fortunately my brother- in- law has that nasty habit so I have access to many boxes.

I'm guessing most of us have a lot of holiday projects to take care of first. That's why I gave you most of January to work on your boxes.

For now you can just start to think about what you want to make.... a purse, wall piece, keepsake box and just start putting materials aside.

Thanks again Linda for finding better links than I had. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Li

Good tip on the handles Katie. ( She's the one who inspired this whole thing because she has boxes to trade or sell ! )

sassybird
11-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Well, I was the first to sign up:D I have a ton of those boxes too, but my source dried up when the local cigar shop caught on and started selling the wooden ones instead of giving them away to the person that bought the last cigars in the box:(

I'm looking forward to working on my box. I've already got some ideas in mind:D

lisilk
11-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Glad to have you Sassybird !

I should have called this project " the Usual Suspects project " since the same artists always seem to follow each other around. LOL.

A little trivia- This is k8e's 1st project ( yeah Katie :clap: ) and Leaflin's....192nd ! LOL. Linda you're a project monster ! LOL.

Cheers,

Li

Gudrun
11-15-2003, 01:23 AM
Hi , I joined you and just looked at that link lisilk gave us here , unbelivable how beautiful the boxes are....
I don't know where to get the box from, but I do believe we have such a shop for the smokers here (Whisky and cigars..haha)..I check that..otherwise I'm shure I can get that stuff in shops for hobby crafts...
Best from Germany

Gudrun

I don't hope I start to smoke cigars after getting one of your wonderful boxes:O))))

lisilk
11-15-2003, 05:01 AM
Heißen Sie willkommen zum Projekt. Anschauen arbeiten vorwärts zu Sehen Sie.

Aufrichtig,

Li

Oh, I hope I got that right ! My German is very rusty. If you have not seen Gudrun's encaustics, please check them out. Very nice.

Vielen Dank zum joing des Projekts. ( Thanks for joining the project.)

Gudrun, if you ever smelled my cigar smoking brother- in- law's breathe, you would be in no danger of taking up the habit. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Gudrun
11-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Heißen Sie willkommen zum Projekt. Anschauen arbeiten vorwärts zu Sehen Sie.

Aufrichtig,

Li

Oh, I hope I got that right ! My German is very rusty. If you have not seen Gudrun's encaustics, please check them out. Very nice.

Vielen Dank zum joing des Projekts. ( Thanks for joining the project.)

Gudrun, if you ever smelled my cigar smoking brother- in- law's breathe, you would be in no danger of taking up the habit. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Thanks Lisilk:o))..also for the german...ok it was not without mistakes but I knew what you wanted to say:o)))
I think about doing the box in encaustics....never tried, but somewhen is for everything the first time
Gudrun

Leaflin
11-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30601

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1471/tn_Img0195.JPG

:clap: Look I bought my box today! $2.00 at a place called Tobacco Road :D

lisilk
11-15-2003, 09:04 PM
And it begins ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kalibabe
11-16-2003, 03:44 AM
Gonna have to get off my bottom and get to a 'smokers shop', see what i can get hold of

lisilk
11-16-2003, 04:50 AM
Here the one I'll try...first. Front and opened.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30618

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/17813/tn_cigar.JPG

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30619

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/17813/tn_cigar1.JPG

**** Kalibabe, yes get thee to a smoke shop !!!!
Leaflin, do I see a papier mache' box in your future ??? :evil:

Cheers,

Li

mothergoose
11-17-2003, 12:49 AM
I can't belive it!!!
I JUST "discovered" these on ebay tonight!!!
I have ben sitting here for about two hours just looking and drooling and bidding of course on some on ebay.
So I come here to do a search in forums and VIOLA'-- I find the exchange!
I amn SOOO excited I can't wait!!

Can you tell I need some sleep!?!?!

Kim

lisilk
11-17-2003, 01:24 AM
You know we would really prefer more enthusiastic participants. :D Glad you found us ! LOL.

After you get some sleep, be sure to p.m. me your address and WELCOME.

Cheers,

Li

k8e
11-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Check your local cigar stores first!!!

Some GIVE away the paper-covered wood ones...most charge between $1-5 for the all wood ones....We have a local cigar store that sells them & donates the $$$ to charity...

if you're thinking 'purse' with the brass corners and the hasp and staple/hook closure.....hardware stores! (about $2.50)...
(try them also for drawer pulls which can be used for quick and cute handles...)....

brass upholstery tacks are easy for feet...

Hobby Lobby also has the lunchbox style clasps for $.99!!

:cat:

k8e
11-17-2003, 02:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_progress2.php?userid=30231&proj_id=579

BITTY BOXES with BIG POTENTIAL!!

NewCreation
11-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi y'all. I am a glass artist primarily, but I have been introduced to mixed media and collage through an artist connection group locally, and I can't stop! I have been collaging on cigar boxes quite a bit, and I'd love to hop in on this project.

lisilk
11-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Amy, the more the merrier !

Katie- I 've never seen C- boxes that small. They are just begging to go hand in hand.

Li

mothergoose
11-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi Amy I'm in too!
I can't wait to get started! I just discovered this amazing hoby last night and ordered ALL kinds of supplies!!

Just what I need ANOTHER hobby!

See ya!
Kim

charise44
11-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Hello All,
I am very interested in joining this exchange however this would be my first cigar box purse and I will need some help. I just discovered these purses a week ago and have be SEARCHING the net for some sort of instructions. I saw the links that were provided off of this site but I am still a little lost. Can someone please help?? :confused:

I guess what I would like to know is how to get started. I already purchased some cigar boxes and some fabric (although I would like to try some pictures also). NOW WHAT??:confused: How do I apply the fabric and or pictures, what should I use to seal them onto the box, what are the steps and products I should use???

Should the different types of boxes (wood vs paper) be done differently??

Also, does any one have any suggestions on what to use for pictures on the outside of the box(where to purchase or where to get them from)?

I am pretty sure I can figure out the inside of the box on my own I am just lost with the outside.:confused:

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :confused: :)

k8e
11-18-2003, 02:04 PM
If it's all wood, I sand it smooth first. If it's paper-covered and I'm going to leave the original labels as part of the design I just make sure it's clean...

I use just a plain white glue for the first layers of 'whatever'...I've done fabric and paper and basically decoupage them on...(I've tried mod podge too, but white glue works just as well & is less inexpensive)....

Then I seal it with just a spray polyurethane finish-found at your local hobby or hardware store-which is necessary to keep the last step from making the paper or fabric look 'wet'...I might do two or three coats, making sure to get around the edges of the design because that's where the final coat likes to seep in and leave those 'wet' splotches...

My final coat is a two-part poly-resin that mixes in a 1:1 ratio. (hobby/craft store) It's pourable and sets up overnight. This coat took me many tries to get it just right so you might want to practice on something first. You can do up to an 1/8" at a time and it dries crystal clear and is self-leveling...

here's an example of a slide top I have yet to finish....it's joss paper, old vegetable can labels, German gold foil cut-outs and stickers....

latitude40
11-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Oh no!!!, this is what happens when I'm bored at work & start snooping around WC!
My two big loves are paper and fire (as in glass), and I love collage, assemblage, book & box-making, altering, art-stamping, etc.
Gotta sign up for this, even if for no other reason than to make use of the stack of cigar boxes I've collected!
BTW, if anyone is lusting for the cool round "Oliva" boxes, I have better luck getting them for less $ on cigarbid.com than on Ebay.

Karen

charise44
11-18-2003, 02:48 PM
k8e - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!! I will let you know how it goes!!:D

THANKS AGAIN!!:clap:

lisilk
11-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Latitude/ Karen- Welcome to the project and thanks for the tip on finding the Oliva boxes. I love those oval ones.

Charise44- You got some great tips from Katie ( K8e ). I use Golden or Liquitex matte gel medium rather than glue. You can do multiple layers and still no sheen and it dries completely transparent. They also make gloss medium if you prefer that look. For heavier things like beads, wood, metal, I sometimes use a hot glue gun.

As far as type of box, it depends on what you want to do with it. Keep in mind the paper/ cardboard boxes are less archival because of acid content. Since this project is really about learning and playing and making a gift for another member, just follow your instincts. As for where to get pictures, first you may want to figure out a theme. Take your time, we have almost 2 1/2 months. I hope you do decide to join the project.

**** Don't forget to p.m. me your addresses for the exchange !

Cheers,

Li

k8e
11-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by latitude40

BTW, if anyone is lusting for the cool round "Oliva" boxes, I have better luck getting them for less $ on cigarbid.com than on Ebay.

I think I have a cigar box addiction...I actually went to look!! :eek:

lisilk
11-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by k8e

I think I have a cigar box addiction...I actually went to look!! :eek:

Ut- oh, I want you to march outside right now and bury the credit card in the back yard !!!!! LOL.

lisilk
11-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30723

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/30617/tn_cigarboxgc.gif

Gcooper, wow, that is a cool box !!!! Sure you don't want to keep that one for yourself ? Welcome to the project.

Don't forget to p.m. me your address for the exchange !

Li

gcooper
11-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks lisilk. I did consider keeping this one for myself. I couldn't decided whether to join this project and then I found the box and had to join. I did get a backup box which I posted. So cant decide at this point. I can always get more at the cigar shop down the street.

Well thanks again.....

lisilk
11-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Here's another good source for accessories- latches, handles , etc.

http://www.mjtrim.com/home.asp

Li

mothergoose
11-18-2003, 10:22 PM
I went to two shops today and accumulated several cigar boxes.
Does anyone need some?? I got ones I thought were attractive and made well, Punch, Romeo y Juliet and some others I can't think of right now.

Let me know...... :)
Kim

lisilk
11-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30724

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/30617/tn_cigarboxgc2.gif

As much as I would like to receive the first ( way too kewl ) box with drawers, this one is very elegant as well. ( Hmm, who's picking the names ? Sure hope it isn't rigged. :evil: :evil: :evil: )

Li

Gudrun
11-19-2003, 03:47 PM
Hi folks
I got two boxes from ebay, never thought that cigar boxes will become so importnat to my life:o)))
What do you do with the inside? I saw nice decorated boxes with fabrices...or do you also stick something?
Thanks
Gudrun

lisilk
11-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi Gudrun,

Glad to hear you found some boxes. Isn't it funny that we are all so excited about something most people throw change in and toss into a drawer ? LOL.

As for the inside of the box, it's limited only by imagination. I've seen them decoupaged, lined with fabric, or just left plain. On purses I've seen them with little pouches sewn in for change or even altoids ( tin ) boxes used as the change purse. Some have a mirror inside. Let your imagination run wild and have fun !

Cheers,

Li

latitude40
11-19-2003, 06:46 PM
LOL at K8e! Look on the bright side....cigar box purses are selling briskly at some nearby gift shops....like for $70-120. Not too bad of a return on investment :evil:

Good job, Kim! Those two particular boxes are favored among cigar box artists. Lovely colors & graphics!

Karen (who feels a trip to the local cigar shop looming in her future)

gcooper
11-20-2003, 07:13 AM
$70 - 120!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm headed back to the cigar shop. I found this cigar shop right down the street that has a lot of unique boxes and I only grabbed two of them....this could be addicting. They had two big piles of them to dig through and I love to dig....

lisilk
11-20-2003, 05:22 PM
You all are cracking me up. Did I create a monster by starting this project ? Just don't blame me when you open your closet and get buried in cigar boxes !!!! LOL.

Li

k8e
11-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by latitude40
cigar box purses are selling briskly at some nearby gift shops....like for $70-120. Not too bad of a return on investment :evil:

SURE...especially if you have Betty Boop on them!!!..(what is up with that???)

eQuilter.com has some really great & fun fabrics if you would like to line yours (and they donate a portion of every purchase to charities)....and Hobby Lobby has the bamboo handles (but, they're the ones that have the holes for d-rings...I've been cutting the ends off of similar ones with my jeweler's saw)

pinkbubelz
11-21-2003, 10:46 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30723

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/30617/tn_cigarboxgc.gif

Wow! Cool box! How much did you pay for it?

pinkbubelz
11-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30620

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/17813/tn_cigar2.JPG

I like this box! very cool looking shape... are you going to add something on the side (fabric maybe?) to help keep the contents in the box when it's opened (and being used as a purse?)

--Iris

Kalibabe
11-21-2003, 12:09 PM
I am SO struggling to find cigar boxes, no luck in shops here.
I have resorted to ebay.

If I get outbid, I am going to seriously improvise or bow out i'm afraid..

Is improvisation ok???????

:confused:

gcooper
11-21-2003, 03:22 PM
pinkbubelz, the box with the drawers that I got at the cigar shop was $4. She told me $5 and when I went to purchase them, I only had $8 so she said she would take that. She also told me that they weren't supposed to sell them. Her boss uses them for xmas presents at the end of the year. She also told me she would hold the other box they have in the back (the one with the draweres) for me when they sell all the cigars out of it. I thought about checking out other cigar shops....here I go, getting addicted on this.....but I have so many ideas.

fragan
11-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi everyone!

Wow! I feel so behind. I'm a newbie at WTC and this is my very first project. I've just found the thread, thanks to lisilk (BTW, thanks for coordinating this incredible project). Who knew cigar boxes could be so much fun. I think I've found a new media/addiction.

My first order of business is to go searching for a cigar shop this weekend. Are we drawing names in advance or exchanging by random after completing the boxes?

lisilk
11-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Pinkbubelz- welcome to the project.

Fragan- YOU ARE NOT BEHIND, we're all in hunt and gather mode.

KALI - don't stress. If you can't find a cigar box

I will be drawing names for the exchange on Jan. 15- that gives the project time to fill up. If we get 20 participants before Jan 15, I may draw names sooner. ( Actually, my sister and husband are drawing the names so I don't cheat and pick my favorite box.:evil:.....I can't be trusted.)

Happy hunting.

Li

charise44
11-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Hello all,

I was searching the net and came across this site for empty WOOD not covered cigar boxes.

http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?uid=206&page=product

It is 10 for $19.95......thats $2.00 a box. I have only been able to find some local for $4.00.

The site says that supplies are limited so to those of you that are having trouble finding boxes and keep getting outbid on ebay here is another option.:D :clap:

By the way, this purse making has been ADDICTING, I have 7 boxes that I am working on and find myself shopping for new supplies daily. My poor husband is ready to strangle me as I have turned our living room into a purse making workstation. :p

lisilk
11-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Great tips on finding boxes everyone.

Kali- I did a " cigar boxes- U.K." search and there were quite a few sites. here's one.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/static/880/ca1321.html

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/faq.asp?iCategory=45

Li

k8e
11-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by gcooper
pinkbubelz, the box with the drawers that I got at the cigar shop was $4. .

WHAT A DEAL!!!

considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3253990002&category=11673

my favorites are the Drew Estates boxes....Acid, Natural, Industrial Press....great artwork.....and the Acid Nasty-oh, my goodness....smells SO good....(plus I just LOVE the story behind the Acid line-It was an online article that I was going to post a link to...can't find it now!!)

Kalibabe
11-22-2003, 03:56 AM
Thanks Li...

I have a few more bids going on ebay at the moment, will have to see how i do with them lol.....

Kalibabe
11-24-2003, 07:06 AM
I got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm, only problem is it's so pretty, I probably won't want to do anything to it lol......

Will ahve to work with what I ahve though, or go for one of the 5 others I ahve a bid on lol.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573981680&category=1219&rd=1

lisilk
11-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Oh my, that's a gorgeous box Kalibabe ! Knowing you though, you will make it even more so by adding your magical touch.

Hmmmmm. Would I give that one up ? ...Probably not, but you are a better person then I !!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers,

Li

My last show for the year is this coming Friday so look out...I will be a cigar boxin' fool after that !

latitude40
11-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Just a heads-up that there is an article on cigar box purses in the Nov/Dec issue of Expressions magazine.

http://www.expressionartmagazine.com/

Karen

Kalibabe
11-25-2003, 07:47 AM
got another one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3254057852&category=133&rd=1

Will probably do this one for the exchange.

Oh, Li, do I need to send you my address or do you ahve it from the expand your horizons exchange??

lisilk
11-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Kalibabe
got another one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3254057852&category=133&rd=1

Will probably do this one for the exchange.

Oh, Li, do I need to send you my address or do you ahve it from the expand your horizons exchange??

I have your address still but can't remember your name because it wasn't on the list. > LOL...your real name that is. What a flake ! LOL.

charise44
11-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Hello Everyone,
I was curious what brand of poly-acrylic and/or sealer people are using. The brand that I bought isnt working very well for me. On the first box I sealed it dried with an amber tint and on the second one it left little cracks everywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions??

lisilk
11-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by charise44
Hello Everyone,
I was curious what brand of poly-acrylic and/or sealer people are using. The brand that I bought isnt working very well for me. On the first box I sealed it dried with an amber tint and on the second one it left little cracks everywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions??

The best product I've used on wood over the years is Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray. It seals wood and is easy to work on top of. After you let it dry, sand LIGHTLY with 0000 steel wool or 600 grit sand paper. That knocks down the fuzzies. It's non- yellowing and shouldn't crack. It's available at most hardware stores and craft stores..

What were you using ?

Cheers,

Li

charise44
11-27-2003, 01:11 AM
Lisilk,

I have been spraying them with Miniwax brand poyurethane first, then lightly sanding and then putting a Miniwax brand polycrylic protective finish that is painted on. I will have to go pick up some of the Krylon spray you suggested, because what I have used is not giving me very good results. I also picked up some Deco-Art satin finish from my local craft store, it claims to be non-yellowing so I will also try it and let you know.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Charise

pastelist
11-28-2003, 03:57 PM
I just signed up for this project. It seems quite exciting. I will pm my address now. Looking forward to participating in this project.
:clap:

lisilk
11-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Welcome Pastelist.

It's exciting to see artists of so many different disciplines joining this project. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

**** I may be absent for a short while as my mother is very ill right now and we're spending a lot of time at the hospital.

Cheers,

Li

k8e
12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
How's the progress going??....

Has anyone started yet??

Is most everyone making a purse-type box, or are you working on a memory box or other???

Kalibabe
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok, got my box...........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2003/20606-cigbox.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2003/20606-label.jpg

The box and the label.
Am hoping to start it tomorrow night.

I want to keep the labels there.

It's gonna involve snake sheds, vermiculite, maybe some drawing, and maybe a mirror....

we shall see. Too small for a purse...

Leaflin
12-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31326

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1471/tn_box4.jpg

I have my basic construction done and as usual it didn't take me long to run into problems :D

Leaflin
12-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Leaflin, do I see a papier mache' box in your future ??? :evil:
Li

:D :D :D :D :D

lisilk
12-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31326

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1471/tn_box4.jpg

Ha !!!! I knew you couldn't resist some papier mache ! :evil: :evil: :evil: Can't wait to see where this goes.

Cheers,

Li

How's everyone else doing ?

Leaflin
12-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by k8e

Has anyone started yet??

Is most everyone making a purse-type box, or are you working on a memory box or other???

I'm doing a memory/art box type thing and am going to do the inside and out.

Leaflin
12-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Ha !!!! I knew you couldn't resist some papier mache ! :evil: :evil: :evil: Can't wait to see where this goes.

:D I'm torn between "wild and crazy" or "earthy" maybe a combination of both!

Kalibabe
12-07-2003, 04:19 AM
Li...

Do we post our completed pictures up here...

or dow e wait until they ahve arrived with their new owners for them to post their pictures up????

I am getting there with mine, just wondered what we were doing????

lisilk
12-07-2003, 04:28 AM
Hi Kali ( and ALL )

For now go ahead and put those pics in the progress area. If you are actually done ( way ahead of me BTW...as usual ) please take finished pics of front, back ( if it's different ) and the box open and do post them in the finished gallery. Later you can edit the finished entries and say who received the box.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Yeah !

Li

Only 3 slots left in the project so I may draw names even sooner than Jan. 15 !

Kalibabe
12-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31427

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/20606/tn_smallmirror.jpg

Ok, top half of the box inside, small mirror, vermiculite, laquer (copper) 3d stuff and semi-precious stones....

Kalibabe
12-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31428

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/20606/tn_bigmirror.jpg

large mirror in bottom half of box...
other stuff same as before...

snake sheds to go on outside

lisilk
12-07-2003, 05:04 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31427

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/20606/tn_smallmirror.jpg

Too kewl ! I knew you would do something very unique and earthy ! I just want to touch all of those textures. :clap: :clap:

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31428

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/20606/tn_bigmirror.jpg

Just love the colors and.....as you would say...stuff. Certainly looks like you had fun.

After seeing so many of your creations, I want to come live at your house ! Your son must have a blast.

Great job Kalibabe ! :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by k8e

Has anyone started yet??

I am leaning toward memory box with one but my other box is screaming to be a purse. LOL. So I guess my answer is...haven't decided yet. :evil:

I know most of us are busy right now. I expect to see a flurry of activity in here after the holidays.

Kali has gotten us off to a great start.

Cheers,

Li

Jakeally
12-07-2003, 08:14 AM
OK .... I just signed up cause I think I'm going to be able to get my lid back on. .. I have another idea if not :D I'll PM you my address Li.

Kali .... your box is terrific:clap: :clap:

Kalibabe
12-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31438

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/20606/tn_shedspray.jpg

Top of the box with a snake shed glued on and sprayed with copper laquer... got to work on it lots more yet, but getting there slowly.

lisilk
12-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Just wanted to wish you all a very happy and joy filled Holiday !

Kali, I'm sure who ever your recipient is will just love your box ! :clap: :clap:

Shrinkingviolet- Fantastic job on your Secret Santa cigar box. It's beautiful !! :clap: :clap: Here is the open version for those of you that haven't peeked into the Secret Santa project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31926

Hope to see a flurry of activity in here after the holidays.

Cheers,

Li

Gudrun
12-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31438

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/20606/tn_shedspray.jpg

What is snake shed? May be I know it and in german its called in a totally other way....is that a structure thing?
Gudrun

Kalibabe
12-23-2003, 06:01 PM
He he he, ok...

I have 6 snakes, all corn snakes, all different colours. At the moment they are babies and shed their skins about once every 3 weeks. they shed the whole of their skin in one piece. I ahve used them for several things in art.

This shed was donated by a friend of mine as my snake sheds are too small for this.

The snake sheds its skin in order for it to grow.

Omalley
12-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Room for one more??
I was just having a nosey at the projects list and this one caught my eye, what a wonderful project! I don't have a box but do have some cigar shops fairly local so fingers crossed I should be able to persuade them to sell me one :-) I will let you know how I get on ;-)

~June~

lisilk
12-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Welcome June, happy to have you.

**** There is one spot open before this project closes. If any of you know of someone who is interested but lurking, this is the time to speak up. Once it closes, the names will be drawn and the race is on. LOL. All of our holiday company will be gone Sun. , then I will start mine.

Cheers,

Li

Leaflin
12-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31438

:clap: Looking Good Kali!! :clap:

Kalibabe
12-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32161

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/20606/tn_cigarboxlid.jpg

Ok, finished it.
I decided to go with gold in the end, you can see the difference from the copper laquer I started with. The interior is in another picture in the gallery.

It's all varnished, just waiting to pass onto whoever

Kalibabe
12-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32162

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/20606/tn_inside.jpg

The inside

Gudrun
12-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32162

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/20606/tn_inside.jpg

Wow.....that is unincredible what you did from a cigar box....Great
Gudrun

lisilk
12-27-2003, 02:48 PM

I see lots of packing material in your future Kali ! LOL. Beautiful earthy colors and textures. :clap: :clap:

Cheers,

Li

lisilk
12-28-2003, 09:01 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32188

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1471/tn_box8.jpg

Your handmade papers are beautiful Linda ! That gold and orange just vibrate. :clap:

Li

kittiemom
12-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Hello, I have just signed on for the last spot--I am new to wc and this is my first post---have boxes-will CREATE--Kiki:D

lisilk
12-28-2003, 11:01 PM
The project is now closed. Please check your P.M. boxes for your recipient !

Cheers,

Li

Hi Ikikiki !

lisilk
12-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32200

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/4535/tn_Cigar_Box2.jpg

Pretty Chris ! That's one of my favorite colors. Is the painting on the bottom watercolors ? Nicely done. :clap:

Cheers,

Li

Jakeally
12-30-2003, 05:42 AM
The box is all watercolours Li..... but the picture on the bottom is stuck on and then varnished.

Do we send the boxes out now or wait for a while?

Linda and Kali .....your boxes are gorgeous:clap: :clap:

Hiya Kiki .... great to have you join us:D

lisilk
12-30-2003, 06:32 AM
****Please mail your boxes when you are done !!!! You don't have to wait for the deadline. I am sure all the recipients will be thrilled !****

Don't forget to p.m. your sender when you receive your gift so they can post their final entries !

Chris...Kiki is my sister. I finally talked her in to joining. :clap: :clap: She does amazing glass and sewing work as well.

Cheers,

Li

Jakeally
12-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Well that has to be a double welcome to Kiki:D :clap: :clap:

pinkbubelz
12-31-2003, 02:59 AM
OK, I feel REALLY behind...

Have been spending my vacation enjoying my family and friends.. Haven't done much yet on my cigar boxes!!!

I have been gathering ideas... not sure yet whether to make a purse or a memory box... I will let my box lead me where it will... :-)

--Iris (Pinkbubelz)

P.S. if you haven't guessed, my favorite color is hot pink :-)

k8e
12-31-2003, 10:41 AM
I am SUCH a procrastinator...

no..wait..it's not procrastination..it's INCUBATION...right????

BUT..the good thing about waiting...now that I know to whom my cigar box is going.....I can personalize it to their tastes....(well..as much as I can gather from WC!!!:D )

:cat:

sassybird
12-31-2003, 06:09 PM

Dadgumit, woman! Is there anything you can't do? lol This is so cool. I love the plain finish with all the surprises inside. You really put a lot of work into this.

sassybird
12-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32200

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/4535/tn_Cigar_Box2.jpg

This has an antique look to it. I really like the color too. Ummm cloves, that is a great idea. I love the smell of cloves. That design is very pretty. I can see that getting you over into mixed was a good idea:D You are jumping right in now.

sassybird
12-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32159

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1471/tn_box6.jpg

What a neat idea, Linda. I love compartments in boxes. The collage on the top of the lid has a spring feel to it that is very pleasing.

fragan
01-01-2004, 01:55 PM
WOW! What beautiful boxes. My digital camera is on the fritz so I haven't been able to take any decent photos to upload. But I am glad to report that I successfully found a box, have finished prepping it, and have finally following much debate settled on a theme....At least I think I have LOL! Now it's just a matter of pulling it all together. I choose to go with the memory box idea.

kittiemom
01-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks to Chris and Li for the welcome....I started my box this morning......as my hubby is a cigar smoker and I have been hoarding the boxes for some future project...how could I resist this project that will get my juices flowing!!!! I started prepping my box this morning and as Iris said I will let the box lead me where it will which is kind of how I decorate gourds too.....so onward boxes:cat:

pinkbubelz
01-02-2004, 05:14 PM
I haven't yet decided, but I may try to incorporate some of my paintings in my box... :-) Will upload a picture when I decide which box to use!

--Iris

Jakeally
01-03-2004, 05:53 AM
I sent by box out yesterday ..... so someone on the East Coast should watch for the postman:D

lisilk
01-03-2004, 05:55 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kalibabe
01-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Mine's all packaged up ready to be sent off, just ahve to make it as far as the post office now lol...

gcooper
01-06-2004, 01:10 PM
I sent by box out yesterday ..... so someone on the East Coast should watch for the postman:D

ooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I'm on the East Coast....I wonder if it's me me me me me.....

While I'm here, does anyone know where I can get purse handles and hinges. I went to the internet but you have to buy in quantities. I also went to Pearl Art and I found out that they have downsized their Vendors - big time so their stock is not as good anymore. I don't know where else to go...I've done the search on the internet but only found one place.....HELP....Thank you

lisilk
01-06-2004, 03:13 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I'm on the East Coast....I wonder if it's me me me me me.....

While I'm here, does anyone know where I can get purse handles and hinges. I went to the internet but you have to buy in quantities. I also went to Pearl Art and I found out that they have downsized their Vendors - big time so their stock is not as good anymore. I don't know where else to go...I've done the search on the internet but only found one place.....HELP....Thank you

On the first page of this discussion ( scroll down 1st page ) there are some links for handles and hinges. Also, sometimes you can find some cool stuff at Savation Army and thrift stores.

Li

charise44
01-09-2004, 08:59 PM
On the first page of this discussion ( scroll down 1st page ) there are some links for handles and hinges. Also, sometimes you can find some cool stuff at Savation Army and thrift stores.

Li

I have also found some at JoAnn Fabric and crafts stores by the yarn or www.joann.com

Jakeally
01-12-2004, 05:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32161
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/20606/tn_cigarboxlid.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32162
Lookie what I got this morning. :D :D I am just so happy to have received this from Kali.
Kali .... thank you once again. Your work is so wonderful and imaginative and I am just delighted with your lovely box :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

lisilk
01-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Whoooo- Hoooo ! How exciting Chris to receive the first box. :clap: :clap:
We're off and running ! Lucky you, Kali's work is always so creative. Gorgeous work Kali !

A birdie ( okay, several birdies ) told me several other boxes are on route.

Cheers,

Li

Charise...thanks for the link !

Kalibabe
01-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Glad you liked it Chris... it was waiting all boxed up for ages.... i finally got round to sending it off lol...

Jakeally
01-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Hehehehehe ... I am still grinning Kali.... so happy to have received this from you :D

Gudrun
01-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I sent out my box today...hopefully it arrives ok, has to go over the big pond:o)

charise44
01-15-2004, 05:23 PM
I sent my box out today! It is heading overseas so hopefully it will make it quickly and safely!

lisilk
01-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeh ! All these boxes flyin' around the world. :clap: I can't wait to see them all !

li

Leaflin
01-15-2004, 07:05 PM
:) Mine is finished for all but one piece. I hope to be able to pick that up this weekend and post my box off next week.

fragan
01-20-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm almost there. Just a few last minute touches to complete this week and it'll be off in the mail early next week.

Kali, your box is absolutely gorgeous!

Faith

sassybird
01-21-2004, 06:25 PM
I have a few more things to add to mine, and a couple of layers of varnish then off it will go:)

lisilk
01-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32328

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29115/tn_Kiste_1.JPG

This is beautiful Gudrun ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32699

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1355/tn_First_layer_snake_shed.jpg

You have me intrigued. looking forward to seeing this.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32324

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1471/tn_box9.jpg

Wow, awesome concept ! Lucky...so and so :evil: I'm not telling !

Cheers,

Li

Leaflin
01-22-2004, 08:31 PM
FINALLY :D
Mine is packed up and ready to go to the Post Office tomorrow morning.
I'm sending it priority mail so I can track it's journey.

Gudrun
01-22-2004, 11:03 PM
FINALLY :D
Mine is packed up and ready to go to the Post Office tomorrow morning.
I'm sending it priority mail so I can track it's journey.

Oh, do you also send this beautiful dog? It's lovely....
Gudrun

Jakeally
01-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32760

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/4535/tn_Cigar_Box1.jpg

Yayyyyyy .... Pastelist got my box. I was beginning to think it was lost in the post but all's well. God Bless the Postal service :D

lisilk
01-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32760

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/4535/tn_Cigar_Box1.jpg

And it's goreous Chris !!! ( Okay, I am partial to auqua colors. ) :clap: :clap: Bet she was thrilled with the inside too. You did a great job. I see more mixed media in your future !

Thanks so much for participating. :clap:

Cheers,

Li

lisilk
01-24-2004, 05:24 AM
Gudrun

LOL. Unfortunately....puppy not included. Leaflin's dog is the queen of the perfect pose. :rolleyes:

Li

Leaflin
01-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Gudrun

Thank you Gundrun :D
That's my best buddy Nick. Li's right, as soon as he sees my camera he is ready to pose!

pinkbubelz
01-29-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure if I will get my box done by this weekend...
Is it okay if I send it out early next week?

:-)

--Iris

lisilk
01-29-2004, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure if I will get my box done by this weekend...
Is it okay if I send it out early next week?

--Iris

That's fine Iris and anyone else worried about that. Jan 31st was just the goal date to keep everyone on track. I figured there will be some people a little late. ( Okay...mine. :evil: :evil: I spent all week skiing instead of finishing my box. Bad Li ! )

Also ***** PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU P.M. YOUR SENDER when you receive one. There are several who sent out boxes and are worried because they have not heard yet.

Cheers,

Li

pastelist
01-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks for giving the time extension. I have been busy teaching my art class.
I have all the needed materials, I just have not applied them to my box. I love this project. I look forward to finishing it. Thanks again.

pinkbubelz
01-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for letting us have some leeway.. :)
I'm working on the procrastination through The Artists Way Book.. :D
Just seems like so much to do all of the time! :)

I bought the hardware, but it will be interesting to see if I can get it all to fit the way I want it to. :) I will post some progress pictures when I get further along!

--Iris

NewCreation
01-30-2004, 08:52 PM
I received a beautiful box from Gudrun in Germany. I am so pleased! I have no exposure to encustic, so I was pleased to see the prints on the box.

My box is finally on it's way to it's new home, and should arrive this weekend or maybe Monday. :clap:

lisilk
01-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32925

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/10503/tn_boxlid.JPG

Wow Amy, awesome job ! Such a great mix of colors and textures. :clap: :clap: :clap: Your recipient is going to be so touched that you included a little extra surprise inside. Beautiful work, so glad you joined the project !

I'm glad Gudrun's box arrived safely. Hopefully we will see it in the final gallery soon !

Cheers,

Li

Iris- looking forward to seeing what you come up with !

Jakeally
01-31-2004, 05:57 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32925

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/10503/tn_boxlid.JPG

This is simply gorgeous .... a marvelous creation :clap: :clap:

lisilk
01-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Such a bad project leader ! I finally added some progress images and am working on the inside of the box now. I went in a completely different direction than I originally planned. Hope to have it in the mail by Monday or Tues. :p

Cheers,

Li

pinkbubelz
01-31-2004, 11:54 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32967

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/17813/tn_box7.JPG

Wow! incredible... I feel so inadequate... :-)

--Iris

sassybird
02-01-2004, 12:46 AM
I finished my box this evening, and will be sending it out on Monday:D This has been a great project. I got out supplies I had not touched in some time, and had a blast putting everything together. Thanks for starting this project, Li!

sassybird
02-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32967

Wow, Li! This is incredible. I thought mine took a lot of steps in completing......lol This is beautiful!

lisilk
02-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32754

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1355/tn_Progress_on_lid_top.jpg

Wow...I can't wait to see the finished photo's. I love the mix of flora and fauna. Snake skin and flower petals ! Who'd a thunk it but what a great result ! :clap: Beautiful work Sassy ! So glad you enjoyed the project.

I was surprised at the amount of thinking and planning that goes on in creating one of these boxes because of all of the different angles and dimensions. I'm so impressed by each unique approach. You've all done such terrific work and all so different.

Thank you Sassy and Iris for commenting so generously on my still in progress box. Hope to finish...soon.....Monday ? I found it very interesting how each box tells you where to go instead of my feeling in charge . LOL. Okay..maybe that's just me.

Iris.....never, never, never feel inadequate ! Each of us comes to our creativity from different life experiences and art experiences. If you create from your heart with joy and wonder and passion then your box will express that. Who could ask for more ?

Cheers, Li

Jakeally
02-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32754

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1355/tn_Progress_on_lid_top.jpg

It's going to be a little beauty Sassy :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
02-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32967

Wow .... gorgeous design Li. Love the way you used metal. That design would be fantastic on one of your silk scarves too :clap: :clap:

gcooper
02-01-2004, 01:27 PM
I think I finally finished.....I may pick up one little item to put inside before I mail it and let's see, I believe mine is going out WEST.....I also went another direction. I originally started to make a purse, it looked so cute in my mine, but then couldn't find handles (without buying in quantity) and the right color tassle...so I just ended up with a box. There are so many wonderful, creative boxes here. What fun this was....Thanks

lisilk
02-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33010

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/32583/tn_wcjpg.jpg

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33011

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/32583/tn_2wcjpg.jpg

Whooo- hooooo ! This is gorgeous. You got a lot done since I was over your house yesterday ! LOL ! :clap: :clap: :clap: Is the silver going on the inside top ?...Duh- nevermind, I already knew that. :rolleyes:

Great job Kiki !

Li

lisilk
02-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33017

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/26833/tn_L40_dreamsreality1.jpg

Absolutely fabulous. I'm speechless. Thanks for sharing that personal journey with us ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers,

Li

sassybird
02-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33017

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/26833/tn_L40_dreamsreality1.jpg

:clap: :clap: This is awesome! What a lot of work you put into this box. Whoever the receipent is will be thrilled:D

sassybird
02-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32980

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/18123/tn_78.jpg

My memaw had her treasure box:) It was filled with cards and school pictures that all of us grandkids gave her. I think you can tell a lot about a person by what they put in their special boxes. Seeing the box you created brought a lot of memories to mind. It is beautifully feminine, and has the touch of old that is so comforting to many women. You had a wonderful idea that bloomed into something very special:)

lisilk
02-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32328

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29115/tn_Kiste_1.JPG

This is so rich and elegant Gudrun, looks like it was made for royalty ! Don't forget to add this to the finished gallery. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers,

Li

lisilk
02-02-2004, 01:10 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32979

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/18123/tn_5.jpg

:clap: :clap: Ooooh, I agree with Sassy. This looks like something my Nanny would have had. So old fashioned, delicate and feminine. A perfect choice of colors and materials. Just lovely ! :clap:

Cheers,

Li

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33018

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/1355/tn_Finished_box1_Sz.jpg

:clap: Charissa I love the combination of the snake shed and flowers. Pansies are one of my favorite flowers.

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32761

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/4535/tn_Cigar_Box_Inside.jpg

WOW Chris your colours are wonderful.
I sure wish we had a button we could click that would let us feel the textures :D

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:26 AM

Kali you are a master at combining all sorts of materials into a fantastic piece.
Well done!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32980

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/18123/tn_78.jpg

Judy this is delightfully exquisite!!!!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:36 AM

Amy this is just beautiful!
Your colours are radiant!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:46 AM

I can see how this was so hard to part with, it's wonderful!
Your recipient is going to be delighted!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32363

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/23038/tn_JC_my_cigarbox001.jpg

Looks like you're ready to create June!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30668

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/30231/tn_cigarboxes.jpg

Kate these are so neat. I don't think I've ever seen ones that small. But then again I never really paid attention to cigar boxes before :D

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33010

WOW Kiki!!! I can't wait to see this finished!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Glenda these boxes are quite a find!
Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 11:27 AM

Gudrun this is looking great! I love the gold embellishments.

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32753

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/1355/tn_Inside_top_finished.jpg

Sassy I love the way you used the Vermiculite!
I'm going to have to get me some of that!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32912

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29617/tn_2004-01-29-WC-06a.jpg

pinkbubelz you did a great job at getting all the paper off :D
On my first attempt I got so frustrated that I soaked the whole box in water. Needless to say it ended up in the bin!

BTW I love your tinyhead. Several years ago we made a bunch of stock tinyheads for people to choose from and that one is from an acrylic painting I did. You can see a bigger one of it on my web site. I always smile when I see someone picked one of the ones I did.

Look forward to seeing what you create!

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/10503/tn_boxjournal.JPG

:clap: :D AMY...... THANK YOU :D :clap:

I was sitting here admiring everyone's boxes when the mail carrier rang the door bell and delivered your wonderful box. I am flabbergasted! The extra treats inside just added to my delight. It is really beautiful Amy and will be well cherished.
You guys should see all the fantastic textures in this, boy I'm one lucky gal today :D

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

shrinkinviolet
02-02-2004, 03:40 PM

Karen, I was the lucky lucky person who received this beautiful box. I am just blown away! Thank you so very much. I will treasure it. I'm absolutely thrilled to get it.
Judy

latitude40
02-03-2004, 12:22 PM
This collage cigar box is truly lovely in person & I feel blessed to have received it! The collage on the lid is a wonderfully harmonious work evoking a serene landscape. The small interior collages create the elements theme with simplicity and perfect balance.
The box told me it wants to be a home for my handmade glass beads! :D

Karen

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32904

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/1471/tn_box11.jpg

Delete this line then add your comments, but leave the links above intact, so others know what you are talking about!

NewCreation
02-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Karen-
I didn't know you were doing this project. Your box is magical! You are truly multitalented!

latitude40
02-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Hi Amy!
I love your cigar box! It's so full of joy and life you can't help but be uplifted just looking at it! It's great to see someone else who enjoys mixed media and glass, and does both so well!
So do you have any pictures of the journal pages? I love handmade books, too.

Karen

lisilk
02-03-2004, 07:57 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: You all are doing a fantastic job with your beautiful boxes. They are all awesome !!! I'm so impressed by the talent here. THANKS FOR MAKING MY FIRST PROJECT SUCH A SUCCESS ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Li

*** THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE NOT ADDED ANY ENTRIES....PLEASE CHECK IN AND LET US KNOW YOUR PROGRESS.

pinkbubelz
02-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32912

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29617/tn_2004-01-29-WC-06a.jpg

pinkbubelz you did a great job at getting all the paper off :D
On my first attempt I got so frustrated that I soaked the whole box in water. Needless to say it ended up in the bin!

BTW I love your tinyhead. Several years ago we made a bunch of stock tinyheads for people to choose from and that one is from an acrylic painting I did. You can see a bigger one of it on my web site. I always smile when I see someone picked one of the ones I did.

Look forward to seeing what you create!

Leaflin, my tiny head is from a painting?! I never looked at it that closely! :D how cool!

You know what, I kind of soaked mine in water, too... now the lid is a bit warped. :mad:

I'm not sure if I can salvage it, or if I should start over again... GRR!!!

Also, I was blessed to find a cigar shop the other day that let me take a whole bunch of boxes for FREE and, they are the kind that are all wood (no paper, or minimal papers) with cool latches and such... The best box I found is one that used to hold Kahlua Cigars...

(Here's a link-- it's kind of hard to see, but you'll get the idea)....

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/stats.cfm/inum/17839

The lid flips open from the middle and is fastened by a little wood peg (you can't see it in the picture). Also the tray tilts up when you open the lid!!! I wish they had more, because it it so cool that I want to keep it to myself... :-)

I'm thinking that if I go by the shop about once a month or so and grab boxes, they might make a good ebay auction item... :-)

Well, more, later!

Leaflin
02-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Leaflin, my tiny head is from a painting?! I never looked at it that closely!
Yes, it's an acrylic which is 25" x 25"

You know what, I kind of soaked mine in water, too... now the lid is a bit warped. :mad: I'm not sure if I can salvage it, or if I should start over again... GRR!!!

Sorry but I think you might want to start over. :(
I tried to flatten mine out by resoaking it then putting weights on until was dry.
At first it worked, but after a day it returned to the warped state.

Also, I was blessed to find a cigar shop the other day that let me take a whole bunch of boxes for FREE and, they are the kind that are all wood (no paper, or minimal papers) with cool latches and such... The best box I found is one that used to hold Kahlua Cigars

Boy you really are blessed!
Where I live the wood ones like that are $10.00 plus!

Leaflin
02-04-2004, 10:55 AM
This collage cigar box is truly lovely in person & I feel blessed to have received it! The collage on the lid is a wonderfully harmonious work evoking a serene landscape. The small interior collages create the elements theme with simplicity and perfect balance.
The box told me it wants to be a home for my handmade glass beads! :D

Karen

Thank You Karen :)
The compartments will be perfect for your beads.
I believe these boxes knew what they were to become long before we started on them!

fragan
02-04-2004, 12:47 PM
:clap: I'm finally finished. I'm packaging my box and sending it out in the morning. :clap: :clap:

I'm getting pictures developed so I can post them once I know the box has been received. Although, I have to admit, looking at the creativity of the boxes already completed I almost want to start all over. LOL.

Faith

pastelist
02-04-2004, 06:00 PM
I have the box, I have my design and have the box finished in my mind. I just need the clock to stop ticking forward, so I can create my masterpiece. There is simply not enough time in a day. I should have my picture posted by the weekend and mailing my box to the lucky individual by early next week. Thanks for being so patient.

NewCreation
02-04-2004, 08:15 PM

So do you have any pictures of the journal pages? I love handmade books, too.

Karen- It's a blank journal. I only collaged on the cover. It was just a little journal I picked up from Big Lots for 99 cents. I think it had Tweetie Bird on it originally. LOL!
I am also glad to see glass artists venturing into other forums. There are many of us who were artists first and found glass as a medium. For me the glass unlocked the door to a room that had been long closed due to some unfortunate happenings in my pursuit of art. I had laid all of it down for many years.
I like your art, and I like you!

NewCreation
02-04-2004, 08:19 PM
I want to know how many of us who have finished our boxes have begun, or have plans to begin another?

kittiemom
02-04-2004, 09:41 PM
I want to know how many of us who have finished our boxes have begun, or have plans to begin another?
Amy, I haven't quite finished my box but I have been creating another at the same time--wasn't sure which one I wanted to concentrate on for this project. As I have loads of boxes though, I plan to continue creating a new life for them--in the past I have often used them to hold gifts for others. My brain is full of ideas --thanks Li for the nudge----On getting the paper off- Ihave been able to peel mine off without too much pain--but a hot hair blower might work and if it is on the outside an iron works great! Kiki

pinkbubelz
02-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Yes, it's an acrylic which is 25" x 25"

Wow I looked at the picture on your website, it looks great!

Sorry but I think you might want to start over. :(
I tried to flatten mine out by resoaking it then putting weights on until was dry.
At first it worked, but after a day it returned to the warped state.

Oh no... Darn it. I'm going to see if I can do anything to salvage it... I'll let everyone know... :-(

Boy you really are blessed!
Where I live the wood ones like that are $10.00 plus!

I know!!! I am going to go back in a few weeks (I don't want to "wear out my welcome" too soon--It seems that this cigar shop has their own name brand of cigars, so maybe that's why they don't mind giving them away for free...

pinkbubelz
02-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Amy, I haven't quite finished my box but I have been creating another at the same time--wasn't sure which one I wanted to concentrate on for this project. As I have loads of boxes though, I plan to continue creating a new life for them--in the past I have often used them to hold gifts for others. My brain is full of ideas --thanks Li for the nudge----On getting the paper off- Ihave been able to peel mine off without too much pain--but a hot hair blower might work and if it is on the outside an iron works great! Kiki

I may have to try that. Maybe I won't ruin a good box next time.. :(

gcooper
02-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm Sending Out My Box Right Now!!!!! To The West Coast!!!!! Hope You Like It !!!!! :d

shrinkinviolet
02-05-2004, 12:22 PM

:) I have become a cigar box addict. I bought about a dozen very unusual ones on Ebay since this project began. I went to our local tobacco shop where I have bought them for a dollar apiece for years. This time the owner smiled and said not only were they out, but women had been buying boxes of cigars for their husbands just to get the box. I guess that we aren't the only ones "enhancing" cigar boxes. :D :crying:
Judy

Gudrun
02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
I have my next one finished:o)

shrinkinviolet
02-05-2004, 02:24 PM
I have my next one finished:o)

Could you post a picture?
Judy

Gudrun
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Could you post a picture?
Judy
It's not really a cigar box, it's a round box...with pressed flowers..green...yes I'll do a photo at the weekend

Gudrun

NewCreation
02-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Here is a link for ordering cigar boxes online.

Cigars International (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-EBOX5&stext=boxes)

lisilk
02-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Well I thought I'd have this mailed out today but when I put it together, it was mucho top heavy ! LOL. Flipped the box right over backwards so I am epoxying on metal feet and lid support that have to dry 24 hours. Luckily, mine is not going overseas.

Amy...yep I have two more boxes started too. Totally different direction tho.
I'd love to see additional boxes. This is the place to show them even if they aren't part of the exchange.

Cheers,

Li

pinkbubelz
02-06-2004, 01:13 AM
I had to start on a new box because my other one warped... :( It will take too much effort to straighten it out again... Maybe I will do something else with that box. :confused:

So, I will post some new progress pictures this weekend. Sorry for the delays!

--Iris

lisilk
02-06-2004, 01:50 AM
I had to start on a new box because my other one warped... :( It will take too much effort to straighten it out again... Maybe I will do something else with that box. :confused:

So, I will post some new progress pictures this weekend. Sorry for the delays!

--Iris

Don't worry about it Iris. We're all learning as we go with these boxes. We also know your intentions are good so we'll look forward to seeing your new box ! BTW Iris, love your postcard of the lily pads from Celestia's photo. I did that one in pastels but I like yours better. ;)

Cheers,

Li

pinkbubelz
02-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Don't worry about it Iris. We're all learning as we go with these boxes. We also know your intentions are good so we'll look forward to seeing your new box ! BTW Iris, love your postcard of the lily pads from Celestia's photo. I did that one in pastels but I like yours better. ;)

Cheers,

Li

Hi Li,
I didn't do that postcard-- someone else did.. :-) I was the one who received her postcard... Leojacko is the person who painted it! :-)
It is a alot more subtle than it looks in the scan...

Now I have peeled off most of my paper on my new box (which I didn't photograph at the beginning--Oops!)... I tried to use duct tape to peel off as much of the remaining paper as possible. bit there is still quite a bit of residual residue.

Can someone else tell me how they remove the papers? Do you just sandpaper it off? or is there another way? Do you know if goo-gone will work?
I don't want to warp this box because it has a really nice little clasp on it... :)

Also, I don't want to leave any adhesive on the wood either-- I am afraid it will affect the paints and glues I intend to use-- I like having my creations be as archival as possible....Which leads me to yet another question--

Has anyone tried using the "acid neutralizing" sprays? and, how do you like them? I also bought some archival acid-free glue to use as well...

OK, I'll stop typing and start "listening" now... :-)

--Iris

lisilk
02-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi Iris,

I just sanded off the paper and spudge but acetone, MEK or goop-off should also get rid of the residual glue. Hope to see some photo's of your box soon !

Cheers,

Li

shrinkinviolet
02-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Uh oh, I think that we need to have another cigar box project soon. I have been so carried away by the unusual cigar boxes that they have on Ebay that I have ordered 15. Yikes, How will I ever explain allll of those Fed Ex and UPS trucks coming up our driveway!! :D
Judy

lisilk
02-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Uh oh, I think that we need to have another cigar box project soon. I have been so carried away by the unusual cigar boxes that they have on Ebay that I have ordered 15. Yikes, How will I ever explain allll of those Fed Ex and UPS trucks coming up our driveway!! :D
Judy

You all are a hoot. It took me forever to get into the first box and now I have two more I'm priming. :D

Maybe I'll have to start another exchange in a few months. Can ya wait that long ? LOL.

Mine went in the mail today. Here's the inside top lid.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33177

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/17813/tn_boxlid.JPG

Li

shrinkinviolet
02-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33177

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/17813/tn_boxlid.JPG

I wish that we all lived in one place so we could put these into a show. They are all beautiful. This one is a real treasure.
Judy

Gudrun
02-07-2004, 12:57 AM

Wow that is beautiful..like a little theatre stage...I guess we HAVE to do the next project somewhen....everybody gatherered ideas from the other ones. Important is our creativity, not to be a big master like vann Gogh or Rembrandt, that is what I learned here at wetcanvas.Thats why I feel so well...it's so extremly other feeling than at german pages.
Have all a nice saturday...it's stormy in Germany
Gudrun

lisilk
02-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Thank you Judy and Gudrun for your generous comments. I was afraid mine was a little too juvenile looking. :rolleyes:

Judy, wouldn't it have been cool to have a show ? Guess we're doing the next best thing.

Gudrun, yes , the best thing about this site is the encouragement to be creative and try new things without the expectations that every piece needs to be a masterpiece.

Cheers,

Li

Hmmm...How does a " Summer Solstice Cigar Box Exchange" sound ?

Gudrun
02-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Thank you Judy and Gudrun for your generous comments. I was afraid mine was a little too juvenile looking. :rolleyes:

Judy, wouldn't it have been cool to have a show ? Guess we're doing the next best thing.

Gudrun, yes , the best thing about this site is the encouragement to be creative and try new things without the expectations that every piece needs to be a masterpiece.

Cheers,

Li

Hmmm...How does a " Summer Solstice Cigar Box Exchange" sound ?

It sounds greaaaaaaaat!!!

shrinkinviolet
02-08-2004, 03:57 PM
It sounds greaaaaaaaat!!!
I like that idea too, so count me in.
Judy :clap:

pinkbubelz
02-09-2004, 02:00 AM
I like that idea too, so count me in.
Judy :clap:

Me too!

Also, if my gallery show in May goes well, I can talk to the owner-- perhaps she'd be interested in doing a show sometime in the summer or fall?

Just a thought.... She also has a gift area-- and if any of the artists are interested in selling cigar box artwork, let me know. Maybe I can talk her into taking some works in... :-)

--Iris

lisilk
02-09-2004, 03:24 AM
Judy, Gudrun, and Iris,

Okay, okay, okay ...."Summer Solstice Cigar Box Exchange " project will go in the works after I finish my BIG ( meaning haried ) spring shows, end of May. I will start making a list of those interested and p.m. you all first when I submit the project. No cheating though ! Boxes you do between now and then are not allowed !!!! ( Of course, one of you could start a different project if you can't wait that long. :evil: )

Iris, yes. That would be great if that gallery owner would be interested. Keep us informed.

Love all of your enthusiasm ! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks for making the project so fun.

Cheers,

Li

( Tee-hee...My husband walked in and saw that I want to start another exchange and just rolled his eyes and walked out smiling and shaking his head. LOL. I love a supportive partner ! He loves seeing me happy. :angel: )

sassybird
02-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33010

I can't remember if I commented on this before, but it is a very elegant box with an old world feel to it. I love the design both outside and in. You put a lot of work into this box and it shows:)

sassybird
02-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Here is a link for ordering cigar boxes online.

Cigars International (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-EBOX5&stext=boxes)

A great link:D I always look for deals like this, and 5 boxes for $12 is a steal. Some cigar stores sell their boxes for anywhere from $5 to $10 each. Thanks for posting this:)

lisilk
02-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33398

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/1355/tn_Detail_of_inside_lid_Sz.jpg

I'm glad you added the photo's of your open box, it's simply lovely. :clap: :clap: :clap

kittiemom
02-10-2004, 09:38 PM

I can't remember if I commented on this before, but it is a very elegant box with an old world feel to it. I love the design both outside and in. You put a lot of work into this box and it shows:)
Charissa- Thanks for this comment--this project is a first for me...remember the saying--stop while you're ahead? Well, I kind of messed it up by putting a varnish on it---but I'm still going with it --I hope my recipient just enjoys the morrocan/moorish feeling of the box---that was my inspiration---also, I have found an added bonus to doing this is learning more about my inspiration--as my computer is new to me-haviing this library at my fingertips is wonderful---thanks all for the encouragement---kIki

sassybird
02-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Charissa- Thanks for this comment--this project is a first for me...remember the saying--stop while you're ahead? Well, I kind of messed it up by putting a varnish on it---but I'm still going with it --I hope my recipient just enjoys the morrocan/moorish feeling of the box---that was my inspiration---also, I have found an added bonus to doing this is learning more about my inspiration--as my computer is new to me-haviing this library at my fingertips is wonderful---thanks all for the encouragement---kIki

I hope this project will inspire you to do more mixed medium work and share with us in the forum:)

lisilk
02-12-2004, 04:36 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33445

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29617/tn_2004-02-11-WC-Cigar-Box-01.jpg

Yeah Iris, so glad you didn't give up. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Li

pinkbubelz
02-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33445

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29617/tn_2004-02-11-WC-Cigar-Box-01.jpg

Yeah Iris, so glad you didn't give up. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Li

I have come to the conclusion that for my next project, either
1) if i'm using a paper covered box I will need to incorporate the papers in my piece....

or

2) I will just get a wood box and avoid the mess of trying to scrape, peel, dampen, rub, tape, etc. the paper off. My clothes are all full of paper fuzz and so is my carpet!

--Iris

gcooper
02-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone. All the boxes here are beautiful here. Yes, I want to do another one after I've seen all of these. I haven't posted mine as yet. I mailed it out on the 5th - it was only supposed to take two days (ha ha, so the postoffice says when you pay for "Priority Mail"). Do I go ahead and post in the finished works page or do I wait till my recipient receives it. I don't know what to do......Thanks

lisilk
02-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Hello everyone. All the boxes here are beautiful here. Yes, I want to do another one after I've seen all of these. I haven't posted mine as yet. I mailed it out on the 5th - it was only supposed to take two days (ha ha, so the postoffice says when you pay for "Priority Mail"). Do I go ahead and post in the finished works page or do I wait till my recipient receives it. I don't know what to do......Thanks

Glenda, YOUR BOX ARRIVED. I picked it up from the post office today for my sister ( kittiemom.) We have a rural PO and she couldn't pick it up during work hours. I think it came in yesterday. She's coming over in about an hour to pick it up but there's no way she's getting out of my house without me seeing it !!!!! Upload the pictures !

Li

gcooper
02-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks so much Lisilk. I'm relieved. I hope she likes it.....I will post to the finished page. Thanks again.

lisilk
02-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33451

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/30617/tn_box2.jpg

We ( okay Kiki ) just opened it. :clap: :clap: It's very elegant, the lining is gorgeous.

Cheers

kittiemom
02-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33452

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/30617/tn_box1.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: this box is beautiful!!! Thanks so much, the flower just jumps out at you and I like that you kept the brass plate on it. The material inside reminds me of long ago--like San Fransisco in the gold rush days...I love this box----Kiki

Kalibabe
02-13-2004, 02:13 AM
I am going to have to spend half term going through all of these entries and commenting. They are all so beautiful.

Sassy... Vermiculite, knew you couldn't resist it for long lol....

;) :D

Well done everyone, they look great.

shrinkinviolet
02-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33451

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/30617/tn_box2.jpg

This is so elegant! It would make a stunning evening purse. I found a good website where you can buy accessories for making cigar box purses. They have everything from the harware to charms and fabric. It is www.lightnupcigars.com I don't have my order yet but someone is getting a purse with our next project. :D
Judy

lisilk
02-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33483

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/31853/tn_CigarExchOpen1.jpg

Really lovely Charise ! :clap: It's so romantic and charming, beautiful job. Have you heard from the recipient yet ? I know you mailed it a while back.

Li

Judy- Thanks for the new link. I'm going to have to make a list of all of the links so I can add them to the next project.

charise44
02-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33483

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/31853/tn_CigarExchOpen1.jpg

Really lovely Charise ! :clap: It's so romantic and charming, beautiful job. Have you heard from the recipient yet ? I know you mailed it a while back.

Li

Judy- Thanks for the new link. I'm going to have to make a list of all of the links so I can add them to the next project.

Well I gave it to my husband to ship for me back a few weeks ago and he just told me last week that he totally forgot and hadnt taken it to the post office yet. :mad: So I took it off of his hands and took it there myself just the other day.....so there was a slight dealy in shipping but it should arrive soon. I just hope the recipient enjoys it!

Charise

lisilk
02-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33513

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/32583/tn_000_0190JPG.jpg

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33514

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/32583/tn_000_0193JPG.jpg

Wow Kiki, this came out beautifully ! :clap: :clap: :clap: I love the little window. Is the little scene acrylic ? You did a fantastic job...as I knew you would. She's going to love it ! Did you mail it ?

Great job,

Li

kittiemom
02-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33513

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/32583/tn_000_0190JPG.jpg

Wow Kiki, this came out beautifully ! :clap: :clap: :clap: I love the little window. Is the little scene acrylic ? You did a fantastic job...as I knew you would. She's going to love it ! Did you mail it ?

Great job,

Li
Li, the scene was done with danish oil first then with the oil pastels I that were given to me BD-- :D --I told you I would use these things that I hoard--eventually :D :D I will mail it on tuesday when i get back to the big city! thanks for the encouragement-you've got me going and now I HAVE AN ART ROOM! ikik

lisilk
02-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Li, the scene was done with danish oil first then with the oil pastels I that were given to me BD-- :D --I told you I would use these things that I hoard--eventually :D :D I will mail it on tuesday when i get back to the big city! thanks for the encouragement-you've got me going and now I HAVE AN ART ROOM! ikik

Yeah ! Now you can join my Altered CD Project ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=648

Li

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:22 AM

Kiki .... this is gorgeous. You definately got the Moroccan look and I just love your silver work. What a talented family 'sigh' :D

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33115

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/29115/tn_Kiste_1.JPG

Very beautiful Gudrun .... a wonderful design :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:34 AM

This is just fantastic. :clap: :clap: You put is such a lot of work and it shows. Great job :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32903

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/1471/tn_box10.jpg

Linda this is great. The four little scenes just pop and your use of the different items for the elements is just inspired. Love it to bits :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33414

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/17813/tn_boxfin2.JPG

Wow Li .... how fantastic is this. You really have excelled yourself gal.
Just wonderful :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32928

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/10503/tn_boxjournal.JPG

I think I already commented on your box but I hadn't seen your journal. What a wonderful idea and so beautiful :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33398

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/1355/tn_Detail_of_inside_lid_Sz.jpg

Beautiful Sassy. The petals work so well with the vermiculite. Lol .... Kali has really started a craze :D

Jakeally
02-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32979

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/18123/tn_5.jpg

How delicate and very lovely. I really like the watered silk and the colour is very Victorian. Well done Judy :clap: :clap:

shrinkinviolet
02-16-2004, 09:28 AM

This really is beautiful. The receiptent is going to be a lucky person.
Judy

lisilk
02-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33414

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/17813/tn_boxfin2.JPG

Wow Li .... how fantastic is this. You really have excelled yourself gal.
Just wonderful :clap: :clap:

Thank you Chris. I am blown away by all the great boxes coming. Big pat on the back to all of you ! :clap: :clap:

Li

charise44
02-16-2004, 05:04 PM
I received my box today!! :D :clap: :D
Li, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am very excited and absolutly LOVE the box! You did some amazing work! Thank you for your hardwork, I cant wait to put it to good use!
Charise :D

Kalibabe
02-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I've jst been browsing through the progress and final images in this project.

I ahve to say I'd LOVE to recieve any of the boxes made in this project.

Everyone seems to have put heart and soul into these. It'a amazing to see.

Can't wait til mine arrives :D

lisilk
02-16-2004, 05:12 PM
I received my box today!! :D :clap: :D
Li, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am very excited and absolutly LOVE the box! You did some amazing work! Thank you for your hardwork, I cant wait to put it to good use!
Charise :D

Your are most welcome. I'm so glad it arrived safely, I was worried about all that glass ! I'm so happy you like it. :p

Cheers,

Li

lisilk
02-16-2004, 05:16 PM
I've jst been browsing through the progress and final images in this project.

I ahve to say I'd LOVE to recieve any of the boxes made in this project.

Everyone seems to have put heart and soul into these. It'a amazing to see.

Can't wait til mine arrives :D

Your going to LOVE your box Kali ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

:music: I know what you're getting...Neener, neener, neener ! :music: LOL !

Li

Kalibabe
02-16-2004, 05:43 PM
NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna sulk now....

Privileges of running the exchange eh???
LMAO.....

I mean it though, the extra 'something' people have put into this, the journals, photos, everything. Everyone seems to ahve put that little bit extra into this somehow. It's wonderful to see.

lisilk
02-18-2004, 02:16 AM
I agree Kali, these boxes are very special, everyone put a little piece of the selves in them it seems.

If your boxes have been received, can you all edit your final entries to say who your box was for. It would be nice to see who sent what to whom. ( ??? )

IF YOU HAVE NOT POSTED ANY ENTRIES, PLEASE CHECK IN. SOMEONE IS WAITING FOR YOUR BOXES ! Besides...look at all you are missing. Let's be fair and make sure everyone gets one.

For those of you who have done or are working on yours ! Bravo ! You all rock !

Li

How do I get color type in my posts ? Can't seem to get it to work .

lisilk
02-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33780

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/23038/tn_JC_cigar_box_exchange_37.jpg

Wow June, this box is just gorgeous ! :clap: :clap: :clap: What a beautiful job you did. Your recipient will be thrilled ! Can you explain a little about how you made the plaster tiles ?

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33785

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/23038/tn_JC_cigar_box_exchange_51.jpg

Great job. Thanks so much for joining the project.

Cheers,

Li

Omalley
02-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33780

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/completed/23038/tn_JC_cigar_box_exchange_37.jpg

Wow June, this box is just gorgeous ! :clap: :clap: :clap: What a beautiful job you did. Your recipient will be thrilled ! Can you explain a little about how you made the plaster tiles ?

Thank you Li :) I really enjoyed making the box (once I got started!)
the mosaics are really easy to make, I have a couple of rubber molds that do all the work for me, I bought them several years ago at ToysRUs as part of a boxed Kids craft kit, for making mosaics. They were for my sons christmas but I've somehow ended up with them in my craft box? wonder how they got there :evil: I just mix up some plaster and add a bit of acrylic paint for colour to the mix, then pour in the molds. here's a picture of the molds
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33797

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/23038/tn_mosaic_molds01.jpg
I can't remember the exact name of the kit, but I'm sure we still have the box somewhere, I had a quick look at ToysRUs and they have a mosaic kit called " Get Set Discovering Mosaics" that's not the one I got but it does have rubber tile molds included, although I don't think they look as good as the ones I have. I'll let you know If the name of the kit comes back to me :)
~June~

lisilk
02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33797

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/23038/tn_mosaic_molds01.jpg

Ah ha. Thanks for showing these June. I've never seen those molds before....like I need another hobby. :D Thank your sons for letting you use their molds. :evil: Really nice work.

Li

Omalley
02-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Posted my finished box today!
I don't quite know how to feel, I'm on such a high from finishing it, I'm excited that it has started it's journey, aprehensive that it arrives in one piece, hopefull that "you?" will like it,
goodbye little box :crying: I will miss you but know that you are going to a kind and loving home! :D
~June~

Kalibabe
02-20-2004, 04:02 AM

:clap: I got my box this morning :clap:

Yaaaaaaayy!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Thank you so much for this, it is beautiful, and perfect.

I ahve a headdress that I needed a box for. At the moment, it's in an old cardboard box, but it will fit perfectly in here. Thank you!!!!!!! :clap:

shrinkinviolet
02-20-2004, 05:31 AM

Oh this is beautiful! The colors are delicate and the box is just the thing to hold dreams.
Judy

lisilk
02-20-2004, 05:50 AM
:clap: Kali. I am so happy your box arrived safely !!!! Didn't I tell you it was gorgeous ? I knew you would love it. Charise put a lot of work into it and it shows.

Charise- you did a beautiful job. It's timeless and elegant. :clap: :clap: :clap:

June- I know exactly how you feel having just let your box go into the world.

I am so proud of all of us on this project. Everyone put a piece of themselves into it and it shows but it's hard to let go. Trust me...your sadness will be replaced with joy when you hear from the recipient. She will love it !

Cheers,

Li

Kalibabe
02-20-2004, 06:57 AM
Okies, a picture of my headdress and a picture of it in the box, you would swear it had been made for it.

Excuse the hideous piccy of me, but no make up, mad hair and scraggy clothes lol...

Jakeally
02-20-2004, 09:32 AM
How do I get color type in my posts ? Can't seem to get it to work .

Just click the arrow next to the [Color] box at the top of the post. Choose your colour and then when you've finished your message ... close the CurrentTag (Top right)
You might need to change your options. MyWC!/Edit Options/ Miscellaneous Options/Message Editor Interface and choose Standard Editor - Extra Format Control

lisilk
02-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Okies, a picture of my headdress and a picture of it in the box, you would swear it had been made for it.

Excuse the hideous piccy of me, but no make up, mad hair and scraggy clothes lol...

Kali, that headress is gorgeous ! It fits beautifully into Charise's box. :clap: :clap:

Thanks Chris.

Li

charise44
02-23-2004, 12:57 PM

:clap: I got my box this morning :clap:

Yaaaaaaayy!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Thank you so much for this, it is beautiful, and perfect.

I ahve a headdress that I needed a box for. At the moment, it's in an old cardboard box, but it will fit perfectly in here. Thank you!!!!!!! :clap:

Kali,
I am so glad that it arrived safely and that you like it. :clap:
I am so happy to hear that it already has a wonderful use in your home!
This whole experience has been wonderful.
Charise

Gudrun
02-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Does everybody has gotten a box now? I'm still waiting for my :( :(

lisilk
02-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Does everybody has gotten a box now? I'm still waiting for my :( :(

Gudrun,

I haven't recieved one yet either. There are still quite a few still working on theirs. ( I promise this won't be another Secret Santa ! LOL. )

I will even make more boxes if anyone who sent, does not recieve but I'm hoping everyone comes through.

kittiemom
02-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Gudrun,

I haven't recieved one yet either. There are still quite a few still working on theirs. ( I promise this won't be another Secret Santa ! LOL. )

I will even make more boxes if anyone who sent, does not recieve but I'm hoping everyone comes through.
I sent my little box out on Tues. the 24th--I hope it makes it--it has far to go---it is taking the wagon train east and then hopping on freighter for the old country--tee hee :D it may have a mind of it's own by now and end up in Morocco!! I am working on another if someone ends up without one---since I have my own cigar box dealer :D :D I have really enjoyed this---even though I am my worst critic :evil: :evil: :evil: but my sister is my little nudger :clap: :clap: :clap: she really looks like that!- just kiddding Li--it's a good thing! :clap: :clap: Kiki

pinkbubelz
03-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Still working on mine.... Have had a few personal setbacks lately, but I will try to finish this weekend!

--Iris

pinkbubelz
03-04-2004, 10:16 PM

I was the fortunate recipient of this lovely box!!! I came home from a drizzly day at work to find a little box sitting (thankfully under the overhang) on my front porch!!!

Thanks goes to June--and yes, I LOVE hot pink! :-) I was secretly wondering if this would be my box... :-) Thanks also for the plaster goodies (mosaic tiles and little ornamental objects) you sent with the box to play with... everything was so nicely packed and arrived intact!

Boy do I feel guilty about my own WIP box...Well, I went and got some additional things for my box... I am working on it this weekend. This is what happens when I get too excited about doing too many projects!

Never fear, I will hopefully have something to put in the mail on Monday!

--Iris

Omalley
03-05-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm so glad it arrived safely, and thrilled that you like it Iris :)
good luck working on your box I'm sure it will be beautiful ;)
~June~

pinkbubelz
03-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi THere,
Just so that you can see that I'm not just "slacking"... I've posted another progress picture of my box... :D

More to come, I promise!

--Iris

lisilk
03-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=34310

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29617/tn_2004-03-06-Cigar-Box-02a.jpg

Keep going girl ! :D

pinkbubelz
03-07-2004, 11:26 PM
I've posted some additional progress photos... :)
Things are moving quickly now!

I still need to re-attach the lid to the box... :D

--Iris

lisilk
03-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=34375

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/579/progress/29617/tn_2004-03-07-Cigar-Box-03a.jpg

This looks great Iris ! Beautiful papers you made. It's so sun- shiny goodness !!! :clap:

Cheers,

Li