PDA

View Full Version : What Methods Do You Go Through For Creativity?

octiigon
11-14-2003, 12:57 AM
Ok, I know the heading can be kind of confusing... Sorry if it appears that way. I was wondering what processes others go through when they are creating art.

I personally have a more spontaneous method. I seem to internally "calculate" what colors to use without really thinking. I was scolded in highschool for painting like this- "They have less a chance of turning out well."

I sure proved them wrong. The process I go through is that I build on one idea, and keep building on that idea and branching off different theories -be it color and what not- that I sort of incorporate into the specific piece.

You won't find two pieces that are the same. I sort of "bring out" the pictures from the canvas/paper. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense- I also sort of sound a little loony too. :)

Oh well, just post what processes you go through- or even what sort of things inspire you.

GreyWolf
11-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Since I just recently this year started drawing again after over a 10 year break...(and no it is not like riding a bike) after taking some more art classes, and especially taking 2D Design and Color classes and 3ds Max classes I look at things alot differently now..

A good example: I'm walking around in the back yard and a slight breeze comes, waving the branches in the old oak tree and I suddenly run, grab camera, shoot, download, greyscale, then print both pics.. then I start with a simple sketch then sit for at least an hour, and pick what I want to bring out the most (right now I do mostly graphite) and try to make that the focal point, like one branch that curves more than the others, etc.

Does that make sense?

Zahn
11-20-2003, 07:51 PM
My pre-painting (and I call everything painting, although I work with mixed-media) processes vary. Although when I am doing work for a class I keep pretty good documentation, in my personal work, I don't really do more than a few sketches, if any, before I jump into the piece.

Sometimes, if the idea comes quickly, I get a sketch down ASAP, since my memory is swiss cheese. Normally, any plans for a piece are mulled over a period of time and stay in my head, until the stars and media come together and I can work on it. What I do for creativity varies with the piece, but overall I rely on the "oops" method. I begin working it up, break or spill or fumble something, then "oops" I get a flash of what it is supposed to be and go from there.

Although it may seem flaky, a lot of my creativity methods are based on the spacy-hippy ideals of letting it flow, and asking the media and surface, "What do you want to be?"

MicheleO
11-21-2003, 09:05 AM
I just turned a spare bedroom into a new art studio. Usually I'll go in there, lock the door and sit with my artwork, finished and unfinished for inspiration. Then I will sit with either a blank canvas or a slab of clay and look for what art is in there. Then I try to free it.
I am a little wacky myself! I also find getting outside to be inspirational.

O'Connor
12-09-2003, 09:38 AM
I am constantly logging what I see, studying subjects, light, colors, shadows and shading, keeping ideas for compositions.

When I get to the canvas, the biggest problem I have is deciding which of the myriad ideas and concepts to use first.

If I had four pairs of hands, and could start as many pieces and work them at the same time, I would be delighted.

Often I'll block in two, three or more compositions and have them running concurently.

If I don't have multiple paintings on the easel at the same time, I tend to try to cram too many elemental concepts into one piece.

Epic Dewfall
12-12-2003, 03:15 PM
I walk around in my lucid dreams looking at paintings until I find one I like. I then stop and memorize it. I usually wake up after standing in front of a painting I like for a few seconds. I have 307 paintings so far. They are always deadpan with long titles and have meanings I can only guess at. I never have creativity blocks using this method. I can always expect to see a new idea within 2 to 3 weeks.

Here are the titles of my top 14 pieces.

#294 Man Supported Flag Like From Top of Six Foot Tree He Just Planted Inside a Barn Yard
#276 A Man and a Woman Standing on Opposite Sides of a Large Wooden Fence Post
#180 Front of House Only With Mailbox Steps Doorbell and Other Side Same
#109 Being Watched by Beautiful Faces in the Trees
#142 A Warm and Quiet Home Shaped Like a Girlfriend
#127 A Small Tiger Walking Into a High Traffic Tiger Intersection
#196 A Nude Woman Lying Next to a Street Thinking
#162 A Man Leaning His Head Into Your View of a Painting
#156 A Man In His TV Repair Shop With His Cats
#249 Man Floating Face Down in Deep Water Head Touching Shoreline a Fish and Turtle Below Him
#183 Many Helicopters Flying Upside Down Some Not
#185 Village at Night with Fishing Baskets Rolling Around Like Tumble Weeds
#084 Busy River Hung Sideways
#310 An Elephant Being Shocked by Electricity From a Movie Theater with Bird Supplying Saliva

stoney
12-28-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by octiigon
Ok, I know the heading can be kind of confusing... Sorry if it appears that way. I was wondering what processes others go through when they are creating art.

(snip)

You won't find two pieces that are the same. I sort of "bring out" the pictures from the canvas/paper. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense- I also sort of sound a little loony too. :)

Oh well, just post what processes you go through- or even what sort of things inspire you.

Stoney; With my writing, working in unconscious 'multi-layers' occurs. It's looking like the same effect is showing up in at least one of my drawings. I'm a bare bones beginner in the drawing medium.

Toadie
12-28-2003, 12:34 PM
I usually have a general idea for composition and when I start one I usually let everything else go , housework, food, but not coffe. or beer.:)
Then I get stuck it seems halfway through and have to go for a walk in the woods or hang out with the farm animals. Allot of times I will post it to get some feedback this has helped allot.
Michelle