PDA

View Full Version : Failure with Winsor Newton Artisan Paints

Sgt.
01-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Failure with Winsor Newton Artisan Paints (this was a title of another thread now closed)

Re. Winsor & Newton Artisan water mixable oil medium

I have a new supply of the above product (didn't buy it, given to me) and want to put it to use. The problem I have here is that I tend toward fast drying medium with oil paints and this one actually slows drying time.

Is there a way to use this, mix it with something else to increase dry time (like I think of a traditional oil painting medium should)? Or should I just give it to someone who will use it instead of letting it take up shelf space for the next ten years!? :" lol:lol:

Tried to mix it 50/50 with W&N Artisan water mixable thinner like it says and it is just goopy like snot. I don't care for it, rather it didn't suit my needs ... as I say I've got a supply of it given to me and trying to put it to use.
An interm solution was to add some fast drying medium to the mix (in this case Gamblin safflower solvent free medium).

I'm wondering if there is a recipe for a traditional oil painting medium that I could use this product with? I've mixed and used linseed/OMS, damar, linseed, and turp but usually alkyd medium, liquin, and the Gamblin.

Guessing I could maybe add some fast drying medium to the W&N Artisan medium?

Pinguino
01-20-2019, 11:14 PM
You didn't mention (a) how much of the stuff you have, in terms of value, or (b) how much you think your time is worth, or (c) how much of other materials (value) you are willing to use, to find the solution, or (d) how offended the gift-giver would be, if you re-gifted the stuff to someone else.

sidbledsoe
01-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Is there a way to use this, mix it with something else
I don't like any of the Artisan mediums except for the solvent used alone.
I don't know of any way to "fix" them.

Raffless
01-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Keep it. There will come a day when you will need slower drying medium for your WMO.

Sgt.
01-21-2019, 08:33 PM
not to worry ... elderly gent clearing out studio moving to home ... stuff was free to good home.