PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Cambrian Critters

CetaceanSkeleton
01-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Hello Pen and Ink forum,

I have with me today a couple of my pieces I've done depicting fauna from the Cambrian period, which is a recurring subject for me. I'd love some critique on these if possible, as I really would like to improve my craft! :)

Anyway, here they are. The first is based on Anomalocaris, the second is based on Aysheaia.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2019/2133944-dcaprib-33ba0d85-a6f1-4d05-8388-cf9b3f17cd42_copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2019/2133944-dcucfla-da344e07-2228-4e2a-b569-3f7cea84a0f1_copy.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Scene Chaser
01-17-2019, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Interesting subject matter. Glad they are extinct. Nice cross-hatching for shaded areas.
Bill

pedlars pen
01-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Hi & welcome to the P&I forum!
In the top drawing it would look better if the skull were separated from the outline of the body of the main creature & arranged in such a way to complement the overall composition of the drawing. Umm.... perhaps top left & tilted to the same angle as it is in the whole body , just to make things clear & return the power to the outline of the creature.

Talking now about that main whale? thing! picture - you have used three shading techniques - wash, cross hatching & stippling. This practice is dodgy & is very rarely used However you have pulled it off ! :clap:
The risk with using the three techniques together is that you risk failing to balance the degree of finish in any one of the shading techniques - the drawing wouldn't work at all !
I mean by that, if you had done the wash part with lots of varying degrees of tone & made it much more subtle than the tones of the cross hatching or stippling -the drawing just wouldn't have hung together.The same is true of all the three techniques. But it does work ! because they are all balanced in the degree of finish. Well .... I would have liked the crosshatching part to be done a bit neater & with a finer pen in a perfect world .
The skull at the bottom is fine.
Kind of brave & interesting approach & subject matter too ! :lol:
Cheers Mike

Charlie's Mum
01-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Welcome here!
Very interesting subject matter but I'm unclear as to whether you're attempting to be faithful to their skeletons or putting form and flesh on them!!:)

In the first I feel you've given a lot of attention to the left end (stippling, well done) but not much to the head, which looks disconnected!
The second has some good hatching describing form/flesh but not sure of the zigzag at the tail!
Overall, they're pretty good in shape and use of the pen, just need to think a little more about what you want to achieve ...... do more and share!:)