PDA

View Full Version : Can water miscible linseed oil be used with regular oils?

Sarah Rose
01-14-2019, 05:30 PM
I have everything to try my hand at oil painting except the linseed oil! I have some water miscible linseed oil, however. Can I use that? There is a lot of info on using regular linseed oil with water miscible oils, but not the other way around.

contumacious
01-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Your safest action would be to contact the maker of your water miscible linseed oil and ask them, or post the brand you have and ask if others have used it the way you intend to.

stapeliad
01-15-2019, 10:17 AM
If you are just doing practice paintings, sure, use it. Your paintings probably won't melt or explode. :)

Sarah Rose
01-15-2019, 10:41 AM
If you are just doing practice paintings, sure, use it. Your paintings probably won't melt or explode. :)

Ha, good point :) I doubt any masterpieces will be created in the time it takes to order some linseed oil and get it delivered :)

stapeliad
01-15-2019, 11:01 AM
I'd use it, especially for practice work. For general practice it really is fine. WMOs are oil paints. The WMO oil is still paint-quality oil. Can be used with solvent. It's just regular linseed oil with whatever they add to make it water-miscible.

Also there are professionals selling work done in WMO, probably using the same stuff. It's completely totally fine.

Richard P
01-15-2019, 03:53 PM
I would think it would be fine, with the added bonus that your brushes will be easier to clean.